Is there anyone who can re machine/make planer knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alasdair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there still looking for a set of planer knives for an ELU DAH 176. Can't find them anywhere but have come up with a solution depending on cost. I have been searching online for ages and the blades I need are not available unless I spend a fortune. Evberybody who has returned my email say the same. I have found a set of double edged blades for a JET JPT310 planer. They are 2mm wider and don't have the slot on the reverse. I am looking for someone who can regrind them from 18mm to 16mm and take a small 2mm x 1mm linear groove out on the reverse.
This is the profile I need 210mm long 16mm wide and 3mm thick with groove 2mm wide and 1mm deep
1642440256740.png

These are the blades I found. Obviously too long but 18mm wide and I think 3mm thick. I need someone to adapt/machine them down by 1mm each side to 16mm size and also create groove. Have no idea is this is possible. I can get some originals from germany but they cost more than the planer is worth.
1642440343110.png

Any help or a point in the right direction would be most welcome.
Alasdair

Woodford, just down the road from me in Manchester reckon they do them - but the photo is different to yours...

May be worth trying as they managed to supply me some planer blades a few years ago for a corded tool where the design had long since disappeared

Hi there thanks but I tried woodford and appleby as well as a good few others and they can't help. They said that they don't have anything in stock and the suppliers they contacted cant help either. I am sure any sharpening service could grind them down by 1mm per side but the groove is the problem.
Alasdair

Hi Pete,
found proformtooling online this afternoon. and have emailed them so waiting for them to reply. Got an email back from another company saying it would cost more than a new planer. Hope it doesnt come to that. When its working its excellent.
Alasdair

If they can't cut the groove I would with and abrasive disc in my milling machine and then send it to be sharpened. A local machinist can do the same for you or perhaps one of the forum members or one from one of the English hobby machining, engineering forums. Or I would, after cleaning up all dust, use a radial arm saw with the abrasive disc to do it. Suitably clamped of course. Another option is to see if a corrugated back knife would work on the head. The sharpening service could cut you a little piece for you to see how it sits on the head. Last and final option would be to replace the head with a carbide insert type. Sheartak do custom ones but I suspect it would be more than you want to spend.

Pete

Thanks Pete
The planer is old but I don't like throwing anything away. WIll see if there are any machinist shops near me. I have a radial arm saw but the groove on the originals is very accurate so think a machinist would be better. The shape of the knife seems to lock the carrier and knife in place and then secured with a row of bolts. It will not lift out of the head slot but has to be slid out to remove the blade even with the bolts released fully
Alasdair

Google
33 quid on ebay by the looks of it.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220117-192536_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-192536_eBay.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220117-192528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-192528_Chrome.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 26
Worth adding, if your outfeed table is adjustable, which it should be, dontbregrind the blades, just wind your tables up a mm or 2mm if required.

And going to that add on ebay you will find at the bottom of the page in the business description the email for them. You can communicate directly and maybe able to negotiate a little cheaper since there are no fees. Just don't tell anyone. 😉

Pete

Have you talked to Peter Weiß ?
He lives in Riedering, Bayern, Germany and to my knowledge speaks only German but if you know the language or can get help from somebody who speaks it he is the man to talk to.
He is the supreme walking database of anything concerning old ELU machinery and ha also makes and sells spare parts for them. He certainly knows a solution to the problem.
I should have his phone number somewhere if you cannot find it online.

Hi there still looking for a set of planer knives for an ELU DAH 176. Can't find them anywhere but have come up with a solution depending on cost. I have been searching online for ages and the blades I need are not available unless I spend a fortune. Evberybody who has returned my email say the same. I have found a set of double edged blades for a JET JPT310 planer. They are 2mm wider and don't have the slot on the reverse. I am looking for someone who can regrind them from 18mm to 16mm and take a small 2mm x 1mm linear groove out on the reverse.
This is the profile I need 210mm long 16mm wide and 3mm thick with groove 2mm wide and 1mm deep
View attachment 127203

These are the blades I found. Obviously too long but 18mm wide and I think 3mm thick. I need someone to adapt/machine them down by 1mm each side to 16mm size and also create groove. Have no idea is this is possible. I can get some originals from germany but they cost more than the planer is worth.
View attachment 127204
Any help or a point in the right direction would be most welcome.
Alasdair
Hi Alastair have a look on Aliexpress it a Chinese eBay type I’ve bought planner blades they are identical to the ones I have bought in the uk from recognised tool supplier’s identical down to the laser etching plastic packing sleeve at less than half the price i suspect the uk supplied ones are purchased there also my planner is a triton that looks identical to a dozen others all made in china iv had no issues and they fit and work perfectly so I’ve ordered more as spares

Thanks for the info. The ones on ebay are similar length but narrower width but have two holes and I cant see if there is a continuous groove. They are also much thinner. The ones fitted to my machine seem completely diffferent. design. Don't know why unless it was specified when bought new or has been converted at some point. I did find a few foreign forums with people looking for the same knives I have but they have had no luck either. Thaye are available from Germany but are around £50-00 each plus shipping and dont knoiw about taxes and import duty? Still waiting for a complete price from them.
Alasdair

A suggestion. If you do find someone that can make them for a decent to you price you should see how many of the others looking for them you can get for a group order. Making a batch should bring the cost down because the setup time can be spread out over a number of you rather than you eating all of it for a set or two. Low risk to you if you get the money up front (including postage) and send them when you get them. Same of course works if someone on the continent has a source that can make them.

Pete

Hi Pete, Did think of that but so far any reference I have found re folks looking for knives is mainly Australia and the States and a very old swedish/german post on a forum. . I should probably just give up on the planer but its in good condition with no wear anyhwere and works very well when going. Seems a shame to throw it away re lack of knives. I have one set but they are in pretty poor condition with a few deep nicks in them and badly worn in the middle. Don't know if they could be sharpened without becoming too narrow for the block for height adjustment
Alasdair

That's the way of the modern world. My first planer was a delta 22-580. I hardly ever use a machine planer (so in 15 years, my second one has little chance of not being obsoleted due to lack of parts).

The retaining bar that holds the blade on the delta type gets dented easily. So, having planed about 200 board feet with mine, the bar got dented. Straightening it the best I could led to no improvement - the blade would lift immediately and shavings would jam and re bend the retaining bar -within inches of starting.

guess what part was NLA before I ever even managed to wear out a set of blades? that bar. Into the trash it went. It was an odd shaped little bar that would've been easy to produce in quantity but not worth making in one or only a few. Probably starting to sound familiar.

You might try Bedford Saw and tool? They have (had?) an excellent grinding service. If they can source the right steel I'm sure they would make them for you? Do you have a drawing made up?

Back