Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finally decided on this machine, because it has helical cutters and I need to take noise into consideration. It is a little bit over my budget, but I will save up to it.

https://www.bernardo.at/en/ad-260-s-230-v.html
I would like to ask about dust collection. I would like to buy something like this one with little power as my 16A circuit can handle only 3600W in total. DC 200 E - 230 V

Would this be sufficient for bandsaw and jointer/thicknesser? (they will be used one at a time). Are the bags for chips reusable or they should be replaced often?

Thank you.

This machine looks almost identical to the Holzprofi DR250 (which is the little sister of the DR310 model I own). If the build quality is the same then I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

The dust collector seems like it should be fine for hobby/light use. You might consider adding a cyclone to the set up if space permits.

I have finally decided on this machine, because it has helical cutters
According to the specifications it has a spiral cutter block so if you want a helical cutter block it may not be the machine for you.

1676315993484.png

Looks good on both counts.
The extractor might be a bit small if you were doing full depth and width cuts and prone to jam up, but you'd just have to take shallower cuts. Depends on the timber -e.g. sycamore cuttings are stiffer than redwood and prone to jam.
Bags re-usable, cloth indefinitely, plastic less so.
Noise often less of a problem than you think - high frequencies don't travel. Low hum through the floor could be the main issue if you are on a higher floor.
Thank you Jacob,

I have a separate shed workshop in the garden. But my thicknesser is being heard a lot, even if every window/door is closed. So that is I want spiral/helical head cutters. I also have 16A fuse, so that gives me 3600W in total. So I would like to limit power consumption of the dust extractor, so that the jointer/thicknesser , which is rates S1 - 2kW, S6-2,8kW would not blow my fuse.

By the way, I have not seen David W online since the first of January. Maybe it is his New Year's resolution.

According to the specifications it has a spiral cutter block so if you want a helical cutter block it may not be the machine for you.

View attachment 153377
I do not care that much about the spiral, vs. helical, although helical might give a better finish. I just want noise reduction as a top priority and removing the material just in a portion of the width at the time (compared to a standard knife, which engages into the wood with full width at the time. This will reduce the need of a more powerful machine, or will give more power to a machine with the same power output, e.g. 2kW machine with straight blades will not be as strong as 2kW machine with spiral cutters. I assume I will give it a swipe or two with a handplane to get the best finish.

Yes everythings a trade off, but for me noise is not an issue as I wear good ear defenders and have no nearby neighbours but do enjoy the quick blade changes given by the Esta Bruke system compared to all those 24 cutters on a spiral block. There has been a few threads regarding issues with getting the fasteners undone and how much faster the Tersa system is, something I wish I had gone for.

Can't see how a gauge would help, I just bung the workpiece through for a trial cut and then adjust accordingly.
All well and good until you want another piece exactly the same size 2 days later! I fitted a similar one as this on the handwheel shaft to my machine, saves a lot of trial and error:

Analogue Digi readout

All well and good until you want another piece exactly the same size 2 days later!
I'd adjust mine according to the spec or measure the earlier one if in doubt.
The thicknesser table has a pointer against 1mm scale and one turn of the wheel does about 3mm, which gives plenty of accuracy in woodwork terms.

This machine looks almost identical to the Holzprofi DR250 (which is the little sister of the DR310 model I own). If the build quality is the same then I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

The dust collector seems like it should be fine for hobby/light use. You might consider adding a cyclone to the set up if space permits.
Thank you Bojam,
I will need to figure out the placement of the machines (they all should be on the rollers, so that I can push them to the corner, once finished). I will add a cyclone as well, if I will have enough space.

Can you please help me decide between three bandsaws? I do not want to go into more expensive bandsaws, as my thickness planer will be a more expensive unit, so I need to maintain the total budget.

The first one is BS350S 14" Bandsaw

The second one CORMAK – HBS350N/BS350 with a Laser Indicator

The third one HBS 360

They will be my first machine purchase together with dust collection system.

Thank you.

Can you please help me decide between three bandsaws? I do not want to go into more expensive bandsaws, as my thickness planer will be a more expensive unit, so I need to maintain the total budget.

The first one is BS350S 14" Bandsaw

The second one CORMAK – HBS350N/BS350 with a Laser Indicator

The third one HBS 360

They will be my first machine purchase together with dust collection system.

Thank you.
I'd avoid the laser indicator. Just an add on gadget. The other two look very similar. Perhaps go for the Bernardo, looks like a more rigid base.

Last edited:
I'd avoid the laser indicator. Just an add on gadget. The other two look very similar. Perhaps go for the Bernardo, looks like a more rigid base.
And Bernardo has the lowest price and can accept 1" blade. Record power has 3/4" max. And within the price of Record Power, I can buy the mobile base for Berndardo, which is a must in my workshop

Hello,

As some of you may know, I am working primarily with hand tools, but as rip sawing and hand planing makes considerable strain on my elbows, I am considering offshoring the grunt work to the machines.

My workshop has inside dimensions of only 3,6 x 3,6 m.

For the bandsaw, I have decided on Record Power BS350S (I find it a quieter and safer alternative to a table saw). It should be a decent machine according to the reviews.

The issue is with picking a decent 1 phase planer/thicknesser. I do not have a 3-phase (380V in Europe) circuit and it would cost a lot to bring it to the workshop from the mains. So all old 380V machines are out. Also, I have a wooden floor on wooden beams and I would not place there an old 500 kg machine.

I have read that aluminum beds are not good, because they leave marks on the wood, once that wood scratches the aluminum. They are also not that flat. I was considering Record PT107, but I have read that the blades are very difficult to set up.

There are also those cheap chinesium brands (Scheppach, Holzmann, Holzstar, Bernardo) where you can get 250 mm wide single phase machine under 1000 Eur or even those tabletop versions, but I think that they will be just dumped money and headache makers.

Is there any brand new single-phase (even tabletop) jointer that is actually any good? I have a Makita benchtop thicknesser that works ok, so I do not need a combination machine, or I will not use the thickness mode if I buy one.

Thank you.
Have you considered using an inverter that converts single phase 240 volts into 3 phase. I use one to drive a graduate lathe that requires 3phase at 440 volts and find it works well

I am thinking of fitting one to a Record Pt106, they seem to do many versions which I suppose allows you to match the thread pitch on the lead screw.

Have you considered using an inverter that converts single phase 240 volts into 3 phase. I use one to drive a graduate lathe that requires 3phase at 440 volts and find it works well
I'd absolutely go down that route. Around 1970 my father acquired a big Holbrook lathe with a huge three-phase motor and used a device that had a couple of large chokes to convert from single phase to three phase successfully for many years. You might want to check that the inverter provides slow start to limit the inrush current (if it's designed for induction motors it probably will).

Back