Is a jointer the same as a planer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thallow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Thanks for the gr8 info and advice on here - being a newbie to this whole woodworking thing (& a complete convert :D ) I am looking to make a couple of big purchases - only question is this; I was all set to buy a planer and seperate thicknesser to discover a whole thread on jointers, is a jointer a heavier duty planer ie does it do the same job in getting my wood square? or is a jointer an entirely different beast altogether to a planer?

Sorry for my niaveity! :oops:

Hi Thallow,

Welcome to the forum. :D

You have stumbled into the problem of British or American terminology for tools. :twisted:
The machine that I call a planner, being an English man, the Americans call a jointer. :shock:
To add to the confusion, what I call a thicknesser, across the pond is known as a planner. 8-[

If you search the forum you should find a number of lists giving the differences in our common language. :whistle:

LOL that whole lavatory thing could get VERY messy! The other classic 'americanism' is the word fanny which I believe means your backside - again could cause problems!! :shock:

Once again VMT

Back