• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Irish Cabinet Makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

MickCheese

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen this before and just watched it again, really very interesting.

I do wonder what happened to the business? I did search on Google to see if it has survived but there is no info.

Mick

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
I did that to Mick but could find nothing. I think the three lads have since left this life.
I will find out on another forum and see whatever came of the business.

Carlow52

Established Member
Reaction score
All that is left now of that era is the music.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, enjoyed watching. Sadly that must be an age never to come back again because of the way of modern life.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. However, I was amazed to see that impact adhesive was used to fix the decorative veneer to the chair :shock: Can't see that lasting.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Rob Platt

Established Member
Reaction score
a nice way to finish off yesterday
and just watched the man building a sailing dinghy to start my day off
thank you
all the best
rob

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent. Wonder if the young cousin and apprentice Ignatius Foster is still about?

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
What a wonderful way to spend a few moments before I go to work.

I am optimistic that these values are and will not be lost...so long as we have the videos...which ironically are preserved because of the modern technology.

I know that I will be making a smaller version of that scroll saw...I want to have that sort of control...it is so simple and fit for purpose.

Loved the kids at the window...generations of fascination...now locked forever in computer game? I hope not.

Jim

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that they work dressed with a jacket and tie, I think a lot of craftman wore this type of clothing, same jacket for church on Sunday, I wonder. Shame its all gone though.

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
Carlow52":1psnx625 said:
Well, the furniture they made will be with us for a couple of centuries, at least!

It's a shame we didn't get the chance to hear more of their own words. It would have been interesting to hear their thoughts on their craft, and why they stuck with it. Come to that, how they managed to stick with it!

Very interesting way to pass a few moments - thanks for posting that, Teckel. I might well take a chufty at one or two more of those 'Hands' clips, too - there looks to be some interesting craft and social history, there.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Scroll saw, were the blades double edged, the craftsman seemed to back out still cutting without a 180 degree turn?

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
devonwoody":1l0enz1m said:
Scroll saw, were the blades double edged, the craftsman seemed to back out still cutting without a 180 degree turn?
I would think DW it is a cutting wire rather than a cutting blade but I stand to be corrected.

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheshirechappie":ty9uxgw4 said:
Carlow52":ty9uxgw4 said:
Well, the furniture they made will be with us for a couple of centuries, at least!

It's a shame we didn't get the chance to hear more of their own words. It would have been interesting to hear their thoughts on their craft, and why they stuck with it. Come to that, how they managed to stick with it!

Very interesting way to pass a few moments - thanks for posting that, Teckel. I might well take a chufty at one or two more of those 'Hands' clips, too - there looks to be some interesting craft and social history, there.
There are some very interesting episodes on different crafts. If you get the time you should have a look at them.

Latest posts