Practice makes perfect...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc

Established Member
Reaction score
...well, practice makes for a slight improvement in my case!

I bought a Metabo 260 planer thicknesser a few weeks ago and decided to spend yesterday afternoon learning how to use it. I practiced on some solid oak kitchen doors that we saved from our old kitchen, which were made by a local joinery company in the late '80s (20mm thick but heavily routed on the front face)

I used the bandsaw to cut the stiles and rails out then ran them through the PT after watching a great instructional video by Matt Estlea, I still have 10 digits so thanks Matt (y)

Sniped a few pieces starting out but got progressively better so this was operator error rather than anything to do with the machine itself. Very impressed with it overall, they must be set up pretty accurately at the factory as all I did was assemble it and managed to produce some really nice pieces despite being a complete beginner.

I now have 9 linear metres of 40mm x 13mm strips in various lengths ranging from 300mm to 900mm and need to think about what I could try to make before doing anything with the remaining oak doors. I initially thought about gluing up a 40mm thick cutting board but this would mean the top and bottom faces would be 13mm edge grain, maybe a box would show off the face grain better or even some coasters might be a better option for a first timer.

Previous woodworking experience has been mainly first fix stud walls, second fix skirtings/architraves, hanging doors, assembling pre-built wardrobes etc.

Joint some to make 80mm panels. From that make some boxes using dovetails/mitres/box joints etc some vids on the tube about all the various ways. Joint some to make 26x26mm pieces, make a small frame and panel box or a small end table, medicine cabinet. Aim to try and use as many different joints as possible. You'll find which ones you like/have the kit for etc and will help to gain accuracy, smaller pieces are good for that.

Thanks for this, I might try a mitred box with the grain flowing around each corner...

Some tricks for you.
To help avoid snipe. Lay a longer board fixed to the thicknesser table, it gives the boards more support as they exit, Theres less tendency to drop causing the bigger cut.
Also limit cuts to no more than 1/2 a mil, more passes might take longer but it doesnt strain the motor.

Some tricks for you.
To help avoid snipe. Lay a longer board fixed to the thicknesser table, it gives the boards more support as they exit, Theres less tendency to drop causing the bigger cut.
Also limit cuts to no more than 1/2 a mil, more passes might take longer but it doesnt strain the motor.

Thanks Triton, much appreciated...

Latest posts

Back