Irish Cabinet Makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you wish, bloody car needed in the last 4 weeks

new set glow plugs

2 new V belts

new [ revised] dynamo

new [ revised] starter

MOT due now, but I am not in country so will be late dunno how I will get in when I try to return if the Polizei are in the area.

But at least I am working on a really interesting project a 1907 sailing yacht, designed by J Pain Clark

plans_lona_iii.gif

lona_iii.jpg

lona_iii_sail.jpg

And I hope the owner has deep pockets, oi vay ! it needs more the TLC to get it back up to spec.
Wonder if he'll go for traditional Gaff rig or stick with the Bermudian rig it has now ???????????

Karl

Made my eyes water looking at those plans, investigated the idea around 35 years ago, (built three small dingies single handed and that cured me of any more adventures).

Hello Everybody,

My name is Thomas Small. I am the only nephew of the Robinson Brothers. My mother, Bridie, was their sister. I live in Belturbet, County Cavan, just four miles from the workshop.
Just to fill you in, all four of the family died within four years, between 2004 and 2008. I myself learned some of the skills of the craft from my uncles in their last number of years. I also have inherited their workshop, and while the place is in poor condition, all their tools and machinery are still there.
I would be delighted to share information with any of you who have an interest in my uncles' work. As has been said here, they were masters of many crafts, and I know that they loved to share their knowledge with all. My cousin sent me the link to this site tonight and I'm am delighted that so many of you are interested. Please don't hesitate to contact me through this forum.

Hi Tom, odd you should post I had just been re-watching the Hands programme on You Tube. Are you making much use of the tools?

Tom it is very nice to learn of your membership to this forum and any input from you would be welcomed by me and I am sure others.

So some upto date photographs I sure would be of interest and display of your own craftmanship also.

Welcome to the nuthouse Tom, hope to see more of posts here.
I my humble opinion your also a lucky begger to have inherited such an accumulation of tools and materials if I read your post correctly.

Please, post some photos of your work and if possible the old workshop of your uncles if they're still standing.

All the best for 2013 and may you enjoy tonights festivities.

Karl

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum. I watched your uncles films a couple of years ago and thought they were great. I too would love to see some pictures or vid of the old workshop
Mark

Rob Platt":sq8cmixc said:
a nice way to finish off yesterday
and just watched the man building a sailing dinghy to start my day off
thank you
all the best
rob

The guy that built the boat "Jimmy furey" made another program this year at the age of 85 where he took on an apprentice Cathy MacAleavey mother of Annalise Murphy Olympian to build one last boat, it was shown on RTE Nationwide the link is gone now :( but the trade lives on :D

just doing some research into getting my hands on the plans for the SOD, and I found this

Death Notice
James also known as Jimmy Furey
January 18th

James also known as Jimmy Furey, Gurrane North, Oranmore. Reposing at Oranmore Funeral Home, tomorrow Tuesday from 5. Removal at 7 to adjacent church. Mass for Jimmy Furey on Wednesday at 11. Funeral afterwards to Renville cemetery. Family flowers only, by request. Donations if desired to Galway Hospice.

Another fine craftsman gone upstairs, to join many others of his ilk.

K

Tom Small":3u2jef19 said:
Hello Everybody,

My name is Thomas Small. I am the only nephew of the Robinson Brothers. My mother, Bridie, was their sister. I live in Belturbet, County Cavan, just four miles from the workshop.
Just to fill you in, all four of the family died within four years, between 2004 and 2008. I myself learned some of the skills of the craft from my uncles in their last number of years. I also have inherited their workshop, and while the place is in poor condition, all their tools and machinery are still there.
I would be delighted to share information with any of you who have an interest in my uncles' work. As has been said here, they were masters of many crafts, and I know that they loved to share their knowledge with all. My cousin sent me the link to this site tonight and I'm am delighted that so many of you are interested. Please don't hesitate to contact me through this forum.

Welcome from me, too. I watched "Hands" a couple of years ago - your uncles were brilliant men.

It might be worth you asking the Shaw Smiths (who made 'Hands') if anyone still has the rushes from the programmes archived - either them or RTE. There are (or were) probably lots of interesting bits in the out-takes that would show a lot more of their skill.

In my experience, the cutting ratio for something like that series would be around 6:1 in other words, for every minute that's in the final programme, six were shot. That doesn't mean all six minutes were of any value, obviously, but there may well be bits that would be.

I visited RTE in the early 1980s as a guest of one of their presenters, and I know that their retention policy for radio wasn't all-embracing (they didn't cut-edit, and thus wiped and re-used tapes that we in the BBC would've kept, at least for a while), but film rushes were often kept anyway as it couldn't be re-used and bits might come in handy one day - library storage space/cost being the limiting factor.

On the sound and interviews: There's a picture on the Shaw Smiths' web site of Sally as recordist. Unless I'm much mistaken, she's got a Uher reel-to-reel (and a 4038 ribbon mic on a pole - never, ever seen that before!!). Pilot tone was necessary for sync sound, but there were hardly any pilot-tone Uhers around (although they were made), as Uhers weren't renown for speed stability - the pros used Nagras (or rarely Stellavoxes). I think her husband has an Aaton (nice!), or possibly an Arri camera - both normally crystal (so capable of sync), but the nub of it is that it's possible that as a team they couldn't do actual sync sound, only what's known as wildtrack. They might have recorded sound-only interviews to either be re-voiced in the commentary, or used as non-sync voiceovers, but these might not have been kept.

These are wild guesses, but it wasn't unusual for whole programmes to be made 'mute' (i.e. non-sync sound only) in the 1970s, because it kept production costs down. A careful film editor could make wild sound effects look like sync, but it was almost impossible to do that with speech. They're really simple final mixes too - three tracks I think, four at the most. This was pretty common too, as dubbing theatre equipment (and time) was very unusual and expensive. I didn't see the RTE film dubbing facilities when I visited, but I found some photos in their stills library, and their kit looks identical to ours in BBC Bristol at the time (they had slightly more than us, but Donnybrook was their posh new national HQ!).

Anyway, it's well worth you getting in touch to ask. For the cost of a stamp, etc...

E.

Hi my Dad knew Charlie and would be keen to see a picture of the divine mercy. He has a picture of a cabinet that Charlie made years ago.
Thank you
Gail

Hello Everybody,

Hello Thomas ,
I had the pleasure of spending an evening with your uncles many years ago in their workshop . My brother was restoring a farm cart and invited me along when he went for some advise ,which was readily given . I have often thought back to that evening and the wonderful smell in the workshop as well as the clocks on the wall and a water damaged table your uncles were repairing .
So sad to learn that they have all passed away .
However it sounds like they passed some of their skills to you .
Good luck
Noel

Hello Thomas ,
I had the pleasure of spending an evening with your uncles many years ago in their workshop . My brother was restoring a farm cart and invited me along when he went for some advise ,which was readily given . I have often thought back to that evening and the wonderful smell in the workshop as well as the clocks on the wall and a water damaged table your uncles were repairing .
So sad to learn that they have all passed away .
However it sounds like they passed some of their skills to you .
Good luck
Noel
Hello Thomas and Nollaig,
My father was a cousin of the Robinsons of Milltown. My grandfather, their uncle who worked for a time at the Killeshandra creamery, left for Australia after WWI. I had the pleasure of meeting the brothers at their workshop back in 1980 when I stayed a while with Tommy Robinson in Killeshandra, they were very friendly if a bit taciturn. It is good to hear any news of the Robinsons in Ireland but I believe all of those I met are now passed away except perhaps Tommy's children.
Hope you all well
Mark

Very interesting. However, I was amazed to see that impact adhesive was used to fix the decorative veneer to the chair :shock: Can't see that lasting.......

Cheers 😉

Paul
Having long ago, before I knew better, re-veneered a pair of teak finished B&W speakers in ash glued on with Evostik, I can confirm that it will not. adhesive has now dried and the ash veneer is lifting everywhere. Currently mulling what to do with them.

Jim

Back