Irish Cabinet Makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimi43":1geg63d2 said:
Loved the kids at the window...generations of fascination...

Jim

No chance of that now, everywhere needs bars, alarms and 3 metre high fences where the kids are chased off.

Or maybe I just live too close to London and have a cynical view?

Mick

MickCheese":2808izkp said:
jimi43":2808izkp said:
Loved the kids at the window...generations of fascination...

Jim

No chance of that now, everywhere needs bars, alarms and 3 metre high fences where the kids are chased off.

Or maybe I just live too close to London and have a cynical view?

Mick

Hehehe
Ah Mick you can't tar them all with one brush...can you???

Paul Chapman":3rieb6hy said:
Very interesting. However, I was amazed to see that impact adhesive was used to fix the decorative veneer to the chair :shock: Can't see that lasting.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

A little odd considering that they were using animal glue for everything else. PVA and Cascamite was available in the 70's, yet they chose to use animal glue for the construction but a much inferior glue for the decorative veneers.

I used to hate these dreary programmes when I was a kid...what was the one with jack Hargreaves (?) smoking a pipe?

Now, of course I can't get enough of them! What a gem.

'Out of Town' and 'The old Country' were the Jack Hargreaves episodes that I remember - oh as well as 'How'!! Interesting guy.
Plenty of his old stuff on Utube.

Just an update on the Robinson Bros.
They died in the space of 2 years of each other and the last died about 2.5 years ago. The business is not going now. The young cousin Ignatius Foster moved to London some years ago and is still involved some way in the trade.
The person I spoke to spoke very highly of these bros. He said they were pure genius at anything they put their hands to.
I was really hoping that they or even one of them was still alive. I would love to have chatted to them about their trade.

We really should embrace the likes of these people because it's their shoulders WE are standing on....

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamnacha

A shame I suppose the illuminated crucifix finally went out.

Teckel":3msg7800 said:
Just an update on the Robinson Bros.
They died in the space of 2 years of each other and the last died about 2.5 years ago. The business is not going now. The young cousin Ignatius Foster moved to London some years ago and is still involved some way in the trade.
The person I spoke to spoke very highly of these bros. He said they were pure genius at anything they put their hands to.
I was really hoping that they or even one of them was still alive. I would love to have chatted to them about their trade.

We really should embrace the likes of these people because it's their shoulders WE are standing on....

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamnacha

Thanks for the update.

Would be interesting to track down Ignatius, after watching the videos would be good to hear his story of the brother's business. Long time since I've been in that part of Cavan, hopefully the roads are bit better....:)

I can hear the theme tune to Out of Town in my head right now -

". . . and spring cleaning has a meaning . . ."

With a big grin on my face

Wily

From Tom's link earlier, Art Perry's picture of Michael and Tom-Joe:

per110.jpg

Noel":3r2k6mdn said:
From Tom's link earlier, Art Perry's picture of Michael and Tom-Joe:

per110.jpg

That is a fantastic picture. Well done Tom for finding it.
How would one go about tracking down a number for Ignatius Foster. I wouldn't mind speaking to him about his time as a tradesman working under the Robinson's.

Back to Milltown would be the first move I suspect. He was in his early 20s at a guess in 77-80. Bound to be some family left there although as you can guess people often go off to GB and are never heard of again.

Damn it Teckel, :twisted: I found that link and lost it when my laptop crashed :evil: :oops: :D

Wish the English had such a board, the Yanks have something similar, and the Germans for saving something of their crafts on film for future generations.

Karl

Back