iphone.... 'lock' - 'unlock'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps....

Posted on here a few weeks back about a friends iphone. I had answers to the question and subsequent dilemma sooo quickly i thought i'd try again....

So.... to all iphone boffs out there.... i've just bought (rightly or wrongly) a used iphone4 from the 'bay. Looks immaculate, 32gb, boxed, charger, leads, manuals etc etc.... and i was pleased with the price i paid (been looking for quite a while so knew what sort of price i could expect to pay).

Anyway.... description says "ON 02 OR GIFFGAFF, (could be unlocked)..." now, i'm on/with Tesco mobile which also uses the O2 network. My question is... will it work with a Tesco SIM straight out of the box... or will it need unlocking..?

As always.... many thanks in advance....

Nick

Sooo i need to contact Tesco and get myself a new 'micro' sim for iphone (my current one is the larger type)...

stick it in and see if it works.... if it does then woohoooo :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

if not then go to O2 and get it unlocked for £15 (i've just been checking on giffgaff's site :D )

and what does 'syncing' it to itunes do..? i've got an itunes account... but never used it (we've got an ipod... somewhere... :shock:)

it's like xmas come early for me.... :ho2 bit excited at the mo... \:D/

Nick

iTunes acts as your back-up "Library" , allows you to purchase Apps (even free ones), transfer photos, videos, music etc.
Whatever is on there can be transferred to other Apple devices such as IPads, Macs
It also allows you to choose what Is stored on your phone.

Rod

As above, syncing your iPhone to iTunes literally synchronises everything that’s on your iPhone with what’s on your PC/Mac - contacts and calendars, emails, photos, videos, whatever you choose. Once you have your phone unlocked and SIM card installed, sync it with iTunes for the initial setup, and you’ll be given the options of what to sync.

You will need an iTunes account/AppleID, and as mentioned in your previous thread, I heartily recommend signing up for Apple’s iCloud service, and activating iCloud Backup - then every time your iPhone is charging and locked, it will back itself up. I’d also recommend activating Photo Stream, which transfers your most recent photos (but not video, though) to your PC/Mac via iCloud without any action on your part - worth mentioning that DropBox and Google Drive/Google+ also have similar options available.

One last thing - most phone shops/market stalls/kiosks will have a cutter to cut regular SIM cards down to micro-SIM size, so you could be enjoying your new iPhone even sooner than you thought!

HTH Pete

Right.... well the latest is that i ran Tesco's a little earlier and explained all etc etc, and basically "will the iphone i've gone and bought work without 'doing anything' to it..." yes she said... hurraaahhhhh.... !!! :eek:ccasion5:

So.... went ahead and ordered a micro sim :? on a 12 mnth contract... 1000 mins, 5000 txts, 500mb data/browsing all for £7.50pm

"wait till the new sim arrives then ring us back, and we'll swap 1 sim to the other..." (phone number i presume...) "and DONT go onto itunes until thats done..."

The phones arrived... woohooo... bling bling O:) and been having a play with it. All seems as it should be... (how the hell i'd know, cos i've never owned one... :shock: )

The only thing that does annoy is having to double/triple tap the 'home' button to make it go.. well... home... is there a way round this so that you can just press the middle home button once and home-it-goes...?

Have dug out the ipod (she wanted for xmas about 3 years ago.... and has never used it :( ).... Its a 4th gen(?) ipod touch 32gb.

Thanks for your 'positiveness' and helping an iphone virgin out..... =D> =D>

Nick

Just bear in mind that once you start using iCloud or iTunes and syncing, Apple will know EVERYTHING about you. Every last bit of personal information that's stored in your PC will be in the Apple ether.

One press of the Home button should get you there?

Download Tapatalk - it's a free App and great for accessing Forums like this one especially on a small screen.

And then save up for an iPad? :) I hardly ever use my computer now.

Rod

Ps the downside with Photostream is that in transfers your pics to all devices - especially a problem when your Granddaughters take dozens of silly photos on PhotoBooth!! :)

Yeah, one press of the home button should get you to the home screen. If you're in a folder, then one press will back you out of that folder, and another will take you home. Assuming you're not on iOS7, then a double-tap on the home button will bring up the app switcher; don't think triple-tapping the home button does anything??

MMUK":1fr4y17j said:
Just bear in mind that once you start using iCloud or iTunes and syncing, Apple will know EVERYTHING about you. Every last bit of personal information that's stored in your PC will be in the Apple ether.

Rubbish.

Peter...

Sorry should have said... its an iphone 4 NOT a 4s and yes its been updated(?) to ios7, so assuming this has made some sort of difference..?

Nick

Nick, yes, I think you said it was a 4 at the top of the thread. The behaviour has changed in iOS 7; previously, wherever you were in the phone a single press of the home button would take you back to your home screen. In iOS 7 the home button will still take you to the home screen if you're on another page of app icons (i.e. If you're in the launcher - sorry, can't remember what Apple calls it) but elsewhere it works more like a 'back' button.

So if, say, you're in an app that's stored in a folder on the fourth page of app icons, then the first press of the home button will back you out of the app into the folder, the second press will take out of the folder onto 'page 4' of your launcher, and the third press will take you to the home screen.

It's fair to say that this change hasn't been a universally popular decision, but at the same time, it's hardly onerous; I've always kept my most-used apps on the home screen, or within easy striking distance, and only becomes a chore if you start having folders within folders.

Anyway, you've only had the phone a couple of days, how many pages of apps do you have, lol!

HTH Pete

RogerS":1ony46ru said:
MMUK":1ony46ru said:

Rubbish.

Believe that if you like, I don't care personally. Just pointing out a fact.

For those of us with restricted eyesight triple tapping the home button switches voiceover on and off. Thats what makes apple iPhones so great.

MMUK":1802ahhj said:
RogerS":1802ahhj said:
MMUK":1802ahhj said:

Rubbish.

Believe that if you like, I don't care personally. Just pointing out a fact.

And your evidence is where exactly?

Back