unlocked iphones...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
So.... a friend of mine bought an iphone 4 (32gb) couple of years back from a pawn brokers, told her she was mad etc etc blah blah blahhh :shock:

Anyway she went ahead and bought it, then paid to get it unlocked from the Vodaphone network so that she could use it on her Tesco sim/account, which she did and its been/is working fine.

Was chatting to her last night, and we just happened to mention all the pics of her grand-daughter and her holiday that she had on the phone, and i said she'd best get them transferred to her laptop just in case anything were to happen to the phone and she'd loose them all.

Now... not being an iphone/pod/pad guy (i've got me little Samsung and happy with it).... i know that itunes can do 'funny' things to all the music on your pod/phone when you plug it in (i'm presuming you DO NEED itunes to be able to do anything with an apple product..?) how easy is it to transfer/download all her pics (in excess of a 1,000 she says) to her laptop for safe keeping..? Or will they just sit in a 'cloud' somewhere until you want to view them..?

As always.... cheers in advance....

Nick

Hiya

More info needed really. Would help to know if the iPhone ever been synced to iTunes on her laptop? Also, is she on a Mac or Windows. And just FYI no, you don't need iTunes to do 'anything' with an Apple device; I sync to iTunes probably once a year, if that, just to pull my holiday videos off my phone - and going forwards, I won't even need to do that.

Does your friend have an iTunes account/AppleID? If so she can sign up to iCloud and her phone will be completely backed up whenever it's charged. Another option for the photos would be to sign up to pretty much any cloud service (Dropbox, Google Drive/G+, Sugarsync, SkyDrive - there are loads) and have them sync your photos. Or use a specific photo-syncing service like Everpix or Loom, or even just sign up for a Flickr account. Either way, there are many, many options for syncing photos from an iPhone that don't involve iTunes.

One last thing - in all honesty, probably the easiest thing for her to do is to book an appointment at an Apple store (there's one in Southampton, if that's where she is) at the 'Genius Bar' and let them walk her through it. It doesn't cost anything, and they'll set her up with iCloud, Photo Stream, whatever she needs.

HTH Pete

Can you really not just plug it into a computer, see the phone's 'drive' as drive on the computer and drag the files across to the local hard drive ? Just like you would a USB stick.

mseries":2uwc8gea said:
Can you really not just plug it into a computer, see the phone's 'drive' as drive on the computer and drag the files across to the local hard drive ? Just like you would a USB stick.
On an Apple device? You must be kidding!

I think you can?
I normally download to iPhoto on my Mac but some other software on my PC?
Also if you have Dropbox installed it tries to download to that first.
And if you've allowed iCloud, your photos will be transferred anyway automatically?
You can install iCloud on PC's too.
I've also got Picasa on my PC and my photos seem to appear in their too - automatically.
With iPhoto (or others) you can sort out your photos into albums etc which you can put back into your phone.
I've one called Goodies which contains my best photos that I like to keep - mainly family ones.
That way you don't fill up the phones memory.

Rod

One of the Apple Fanboys at work tell me iCloud is the easiest. I didn't ask if he uses some sort of PC based version to scooch them back down from the cloud, he must do. Let's hope the cloud doesn't get hacked or ones password get breached.

John Brown":39g26jco said:
mseries":39g26jco said:

Or any other phones ?

RogerS":7bv69k2a said:
John Brown":7bv69k2a said:
mseries":7bv69k2a said:

Or any other phones ?

Um Yes.

I connect my Android phone to my NAS box, my Linux server, and sometimes my desktop PCs.

Use total commander, with the LAN plug-ins https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=C.+Ghisler

I can't remember the last time I needed an actual cable to transfer stuff, but this is a better alternative.

And yes, there are pretty much only three ways to get stuff onto or off a non-hacked iAnything:
iTunes (cable usually), email (as attachments), or iCloud.*

iPain if you ask me...

... :)

*if you have the camera adaptor kit, you can get pictures (ONLY) off SD cards (not Compact Flash) onto the iPad, or via USB from the camera onto the iPad, but it's only a one way trip.

RogerS":38du4zrh said:
John Brown":38du4zrh said:
mseries":38du4zrh said:

Or any other phones ?
yup, just plug my android in using the USB cable and my Linux computer picks up both of it's partitions and mounts them ready for use. I don't use windows at home so ain't tried it.

my nexus 7 and kindle fire HD needed some software on the Linux box though, they didn't work the same way in the file manager

NikNak":1dw588py said:
So.... a friend of mine bought an iphone 4 (32gb) couple of years back from a pawn brokers, told her she was mad etc etc blah blah blahhh :shock:

Anyway she went ahead and bought it, then paid to get it unlocked from the Vodaphone network so that she could use it on her Tesco sim/account, which she did and its been/is working fine.

Was chatting to her last night, and we just happened to mention all the pics of her grand-daughter and her holiday that she had on the phone, and i said she'd best get them transferred to her laptop just in case anything were to happen to the phone and she'd loose them all.

Now... not being an iphone/pod/pad guy (i've got me little Samsung and happy with it).... i know that itunes can do 'funny' things to all the music on your pod/phone when you plug it in (i'm presuming you DO NEED itunes to be able to do anything with an apple product..?) how easy is it to transfer/download all her pics (in excess of a 1,000 she says) to her laptop for safe keeping..? Or will they just sit in a 'cloud' somewhere until you want to view them..?

As always.... cheers in advance....

Nick

Windows 7 http://www.trickyways.com/2010/01/transfer-iphone-pictures-to-pc-windows-7/

1: plugin phone to computer.
2: follow linked instructions.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

sometimewoodworker":2m7lvp1j said:
Eric The Viking":2m7lvp1j said:

And yes, there are pretty much only three ways to get stuff onto or off a non-hacked iAnything:
iTunes (cable usually), email (as attachments), or iCloud.*
Sorry, wrong.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

Yawn.

So windows sees it as a "camera." big deal.

If I want to import or export anything to/from my Android tablet, I simply do it.

sometimewoodworker":1b0f96ph said:
If I want to import or export anything to/from my Android tablet, I simply do it.
And that is different from getting the photos off an iPad or iPhone, how?
I wasn't very clear:

As I'm sure you know, you can't use removable storage as removable storage. You can load pictures into the iPad, but not take data off the iPad onto a card. AND you can't organise your on-board storage, only accept the model Apple has.

Or you Jailbreak it, at which point it becomes a very capable bit of hardware.

That was my original point, and unless iOs 7 has changed things, it's still true.

I'm off to see her later so i'll ask/check then, and see if she can import by simply 'importing' etc.... i'll report back

Nick

Well.... i'm round here NOW....

we plugged in the iphone via the lead as suggested....
imported as suggested, and just added a 'tag' i.e.her name...
and it started to download 1100 pics and video clips
no problem....

except.... she then started to try and show me other items / apps on her phone....
the screen locked up... went all fuzzy, and finally white, and now cant do anything with it, not even turn it off..!!

The best we can hope for at the moment is to let the batt run down/die, then plug it in to charge up and hopefully that'll reboot it :(

oh... and the 4 corners of the screen have started to go 'dark'.... :shock: :shock:

any thoughts anyone..??

Nick

Disconnect the cable and do a hard reset - hold down the power and home buttons together, then release them when the apple logo appears. Let it restart as normal, then re-sync - and don't muck about with it until it's finished!

Hi Pete

Thanks very much... have held the power button and home buttons till apple logo etc.

waited for what seemed like an age until her 'home screen' appeared again...

however the screen is flickering, a bit like a dodgy fluorescent light now...!!

Will this sort itself out once its recharged..?

at the moment she's half happy its working again....

Nick

oh..... when the apple logo was being displayed the screen looked like an old fashioned photo i.e. an oval of black with apple logo in the middle and white all round the outside...

NikNak":3qmukrsi said:
...however the screen is flickering, a bit like a dodgy fluorescent light now...!!

Will this sort itself out once its recharged..?

at the moment she's half happy its working again....

Nick
oh..... when the apple logo was being displayed the screen looked like an old fashioned photo i.e. an oval of black with apple logo in the middle and white all round the outside...

Never seen this on a iDevice before - barring physical damage from e.g. being dropped. Sounds like she may be heading off to an Apple Store genius after all :(

Keep us posted.

Pete

Pete...

She says thanks for your help.

No.... its not been dropped (hammer) and is always looked after very well....

It's just died (as in battery is dead) will leave it for an hour or so to cool down (it did get a little warm) and then plug it in to charge....

will keep you posted :cry:

Nick (& Nic)

Latest posts

Back