Help - Iphone query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Slightly off topic here but I need help - Well you all know that!

No seriously I have just been given an iphone 3 by a mate who has just upgraded to a shiny new iphone 4 - It is a factory unlocked phone and I put in my orange sim card and connected to my computer having previously downloaded itunes.

As my mate had restored to factory settings when I connected the phone to computer it stated the "sim not supported" message came up and I understand that the phone needs to be "activated" and cannot even be jailbroken until activated.

I have been trawling through google etc and my basic question is - How the bloody hell do I activate it??

Any help appreciated

Rog

Rog, it's probably that your sim card is too old for the phone. I had to get a new sim card when I first got an iPhone and so did my fiance.

Just to complicate matters the new iPhone 4 has a mini sim card which is tiny. But, back to your phone I'm sure this is what it'll be.
Just ring orange or go to a store and you can probably get a free one.

Rog
If your previous 'phone wasn't an Iphone, you'll be on a standard tarif and as far as I know, it won't work.
You'll need to ring Orange and upgrade your plan before you can use it. The iphone is permanently connected to the network (a bit like your broadband).

Had to do this when I bought my wife a s/h 'phone a few months ago even though we both have smart phones which included internet connection.

I can't be 100% certain but if I'm wrong then we've beed swindled by O2

Bob

I have been running my iPhone on a non-iPhone tariff for over a year, so that shouldn't be it. You will need a data service, though.
My money is on either old SIM, or the phone isn't actually unlocked.

Si

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

My sim and contract are fine as have been using the sim in an android phone and have appropriate contract etc.

Have come to the conclusion it just needs activating - have found alot on the internet regarding this and up until last October you could get a sim to do just this but Apple changed their software (Surprise surprise) to stop it being so easy.

Will give them a bell today and see what they say.

Rog

With my wifes new iphone it would not activate until it had been plugged into the computer and connected to the i-tunes store to register there. Only then would it work. Have you tried this? My father in law had the same problem with his phone as he didn't want to use i-tunes but the phone must register to apple before it will work.

HTH
Graham

My understanding was that the activation process was for phones when they were locked to a carrier, but once they're unlocked and out of contract then they were fair game so AFAIK once an iPhone's been activated, it shouldn't need activating again, especially if it's unlocked. I gave my unlocked iPhone 3G to my Mum (87 year old great-grandmother with an iPhone = major respect at the hairdressers....) and she just picked up a new SIM from her local phone shop and was all set.

Just a thought, but try switching the iPhone to "Airplane Mode" before syncing (Settings>Airplane Mode) - I vaguely remember seeing a video ages ago where someone was getting a "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported" message from iTunes when they first synced a 3G, but switching it to Airplane Mode for the first sync sorted it out - all subsequent syncs were normal.

Got to be worth a try??

HTH, Pete

I still think it's your sim card.

A friend had an android phone and he tried his sim in an iphone and it didn't work. I think they're quite specific.

Pete, iphones or any apple i device still need activating after a factory reset. We've not had any problems with any of our devices, 2nd hand or otherwise but you do need to plug it in to your computer and register / activate it through itunes.

Jensmith":3lazfs9g said:
I still think it's your sim card.

A friend had an android phone and he tried his sim in an iphone and it didn't work. I think they're quite specific.

Pete, iphones or any apple i device still need activating after a factory reset. We've not had any problems with any of our devices, 2nd hand or otherwise but you do need to plug it in to your computer and register / activate it through itunes.

I'm obviously wrong about the iphone specific contract though that is exactly what the O2 operator told me and I had to add the data bolt on before they would change it. Sounds like I got bum info :x Cost remained the same at £25 but costs me an extra £5 a month for the 500mb data

My wife had a Nokia express smart phone and we just used the same sim card into her iphone 3g, registered through the computer and as said, had to register for itunes before it would work.

Bob

Lons":33dcwfoj said:
I'm obviously wrong about the iphone specific contract though that is exactly what the O2 operator told me and I had to add the data bolt on before they would change it. Sounds like I got bum info :x Cost remained the same at £25 but costs me an extra £5 a month for the 500mb data

Bob

I think you do need an iphone specific contract Bob, as we couldn't use our Blackberry data package with the iphone.

We have our iphones on PAYG as O2 used to do a years free data with them so it's slightly different.

If you're not on a fixed term contract then I think the data bolt on for the iphone is now £15 /month with O2. (Used to be £10)

It's certainly a cheaper option to do that then sign up for the rediculuosly expensive 18 or 24 month contracts they give you these days.

At the risk of being Grim, I've had very little trouble with my mobile phone. When it stops doing what I need, I suppose I'll have to buy newer one. Hasn't happened yet :)

imagens-nokia-3510i.jpg

BugBear

Sorry Jen, no, you do not need an iphone specific contract. My last two haven't been.

Si.

knappers":10l78p7y said:
Sorry Jen, no, you do not need an iphone specific contract. My last two haven't been.

Si.

Fair enough. Like I say, ours are PAYG so I was going on what I'd heard. I thought they did need to be.

OK - eventually got through to iphone support and guess what - The supposed unlocked phone is locked to O2! No wonder my orange card wont work.

The previous owner is now liaising with O2 to get unlocked.

Think I might stick with my android until my contract is up for renewal in October

Oh well back to dovetails!

Rog

bugbear":1c8rhlih said:
At the risk of being Grim, I've had very little trouble with my mobile phone. When it stops doing what I need, I suppose I'll have to buy newer one. Hasn't happened yet :)

imagens-nokia-3510i.jpg

BugBear

Bugbear I agree, it may be that we use the phone as a phone :p

Latest posts

Back