iphone question....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so this is an iphone question....

I have an aging iphone 4....

Works well, cept the battery is a bit err old and needs constant charging.

So, do i just get a new battery installed..? and carry on with my £7.50 a month sim (1000 mins, unlimited txts, 500mb data)

Or go to my mobile provider (Tesco) and get them to match carphone warehouse for a new 4s on a monthly contract of just £15..?

Or.... bite the bullet and go for an iphone 5c..? Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 5c and the 5s as there is a hell'a'va price difference..?

And yes.... i know there are iphone 'haters' out there.... i was a Sammy owner for years, luv'd it. Decided to try an iphone. Took a while to get used to a different layout/set up etc, but now love it.

As always..... cheers in advance

Nick

For what it costs to replace the battery I expect you can get a second hand iphone 5s

Or just get an iPhone 6 :)

cusimar9":kirnb4bb said:
For what it costs to replace the battery I expect you can get a second hand iPhone 5s...
I just sold a one-year old 5s for £350, so I don't think so!

To the OP; if you're happy with the iPhone 4 then have the battery replaced, costs about £30 but usually comes with a warranty + peace of mind that you won't screw up the glass front / back when disassembling.

I wouldn't consider a 4s on contract, personally - a bit too long in the tooth to commit a couple of years to. The 5c is pretty much the same as a 5 (next yearly model after the 4s) but in an easier (read, cheaper) to make shell. FWIW iPhone 4 and 4s have 3.5" (diagonal) screens, 5, 5s and 5c are 4", plus the usual annual improvements in processor, graphics, screen etc...

Alternatively, if you're not totally wedded to iPhone/Apple (and I am , personally) then consider the Motorola Moto E; I've bought a couple as gifts recently, and if you can live with Android OS then they're very capable phones for ~£80, unlocked - and you might be surprised what your iPhone 4 will fetch on eBay, even with an iffy battery.

HTH, Pete

What Pete says. Replacing a battery is straightforward.

If you do look at Tesco, remember that they have at least three (!!) routes to market for their mobile offering and each route competes against each other.

On the question of Android vs iOS, even though I am a dedicated Mac user, I much prefer the Android user interface.. Possibly because I never got the manual out to fully understand the iOS..dunno. Android seems so much easier to use somehow. And ...shock...horror....having seen Apple's latest OS abomination aka Mavericks, Yosemite and now iTunes 12, and the storm of user protest, they may well have lost the plot.

If you only phone and text keep the iPhone 4s and get a battery. If you surf then get an iPhone 5 or 6 as they are both 4G capable. Also have a think about networks. Macworld did a survey and I think Three came out on top. I switched to Three on PAYG and it's cheap as chips and their 4G seems very fast.

Ah the old PC V Mac, Android V IOS Chesnut. I use Macs, iPad and iPhone so I suppose I'm biased although I have used most versions of Windows at work and our first PC ran DOS 2.something. I had to set up an Android tablet for a friend this week and to be honest it wasn't that different from IOS. I didn't think it was quite as intuitive and the lack of a physical home button doesn't help but it wasn't that bad. I just prefer the look look of IOS. Having said all that ... I started to get emails from a staunch PC using friend of many years with the tag: Sent from my Samsung tablet. About 5-6 months later the tag changed to: Sent from my iPad! I had to ask and he was quite up front and said the way the Samsung worked "irritated" him, his words. That was three or four months ago, he's now selling his iPad to buy a Mac Laptop because he's so fed up with Windows 8! He's been a PC user since DOS so I guess he must be really upset with MS! :lol:

It's dead easy to replace the battery.

Remove 2 screws from the end, slide the back off, unscrew the battery connector, remove battery, fit new battery then reverse.

5 minute job, never had to do it to replace the battery; just had to take it apart to dry it out when my other half spilt red wine on hers.... SEVERAL times.

Jon.

Skeety":1ln5i94a said:
It's dead easy to replace the battery.

Remove 2 screws from the end, slide the back off, unscrew the battery connector, remove battery, fit new battery then reverse.

5 minute job, never had to do it to replace the battery; just had to take it apart to dry it out when my other half spilt red wine on hers.... SEVERAL times.

Jon.
Special Apple screwdriver I expect, there's a 5 star head on them

No, they are below the range of normal torx i think.

Maplin do a kit with them in for taking phones apart for about £5 so probably on the bay for about 50p ;)

Jon.

RogerS":3irq6ku9 said:
If you do look at Tesco, remember that they have at least three (!!) routes to market for their mobile offering and each route competes against each other.

Rog... i was aware of 2 routes i.e. in one of their stores or on-line, but not aware of a 3rd or indeed other routes, can you enlighten please..?

I'm quite happy with having a go at replacing the battery. My only concern is all the 'fake' batteries out there. In fact as i'm typing this i'm also watching a report on tv regarding fake batteries and the 'nasties' that could happen :shock: :shock:

Nick

Back