Invoice dispute

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What impact would a ccj have on your credit score?
It plummets. It a bad thing to have.
It will adversely affect your mortgage borrowing, loans, credit card and bank account applications.

You do not want a unsatisfied CCJ on your record. It stays with you for 6 years.

Not pedantic at all. Just sharing my experience, and very interested to hear your comments, and to stand corrected! In the cases I have referred to payments were made there and then before leaving the court, and confirmed with the court staff, so I suppose that does explain it. Interestingly the judges comment was that the CCJ entry could be avoided if any monies were paid "straight away" I hadn't realised that was meant quite so literally! My view was just pay the money and get it over and done with.
Thanks for the information, and worth knowing that immediate payment can avoid this issue, and that immediate means just that. Out of interest, from your knowledge, what happens if you pay within the thirty days and the court then remove the entry. What effect does that have on your credit rating?
Once the court updates their file (within the thirty days) that payment has been made the information is uploaded to the Credit Reference Agencies and it will automatically be removed from your credit file straightaway. This should also reflect on your credit score (i.e. reverse any adverse impact from when it was recorded).

The intent is, as the judge explained in your case, is to not penalise someone who had a legitimate dispute as opposed to just not paying what is due.

Sorry but you only have yourself to blame a written contract signed by both parties is the first thing should be undertaken before any work commences. There are various way to do this written or electronically. Judge Rinder says it often enough text messages/emails ect all count.
A bit harsh imo Not everyone works that way , while I understand what your saying regarding a written contract I also agree with the fact that a verbal contract has been the backbone of many small business and one man or two man teams etc for ever . A gentleman’s handshake in many cultures is seen as a binding contract . Judge rinder and the American version judge Judy would find in favour of the op as long as he or she can show via email, text message or even a recorded conversation that the work was agreed and the costs involved. I’m sure after this experience the op will do things differently but whether you are an odd job man or a small job person or a large company/ business or just self employed there is nothing worse than supplying your labour, experience materials and your skills to be then not paid . Risk to your own livelihood and family is not what we work for .

I was owed money by a client.
She said she couldn't pay.
I did the whole letter etc, and initiated small claims court proceedings.
She then said she would pay.
She didn't.
It never actually went to a small claims hearing.
I was told that the next step would be county court, but that would cost me more than the value of the invoice.
I gave up, and never got the money.

Was I wrongly advised about county court?

She didn't.
I was told that the next step would be county court, but that would cost me more than the value of the invoice.

The old process if I recall correctly used to have a series of charges, as you went through the process. The latest is just one charge (£150 I think) when you start. (Under £5K claims . Or something around it)
If the 14 day letter doesn’t work, then yes, you do have your day in the county court in front of a magistrate.

If you win, you get awarded the court costs and what ever you were owed.

For me, it’s a matter of principle, I will take people through the process irrespective of the value. From a personal perspective I’ve only ever done it three times, one win in court and two the other side paid up before court.

Putting the boot on the other foot, if I receive a disputed bill, and this isn’t advise, I personally would try and find an amicable solution and if I fail, pay in full if I receive a 14 day letter. I would then issue my own 14 day letter and take them through CC to recover what I believe is an over charge. That way I never risk a CCJ against me.

She didn't.

Was I wrongly advised about county ?
The court fees are always less then the size of the claim if you use the online service.

Even when you win the judgment it doesn't guarantee you'll get the money.

After that there will be additional costs to use bailiffs and other mechanisms to get the money back.

Seem to be doing alright:

graft.png

A self-employed friend once told me that if they don't want to pay, then they just won't! Myself, I knew a local bailiff, on whom I could call if/when the need did arise, which it did at least 3 times. In each case he was successful & for the price of a decent bottle of wine!

She didn't.

Think the lesson there is that once you have started proceedings through the small claims court, and paid the fee, don't cancel it until you have the money in your hand.

A bit harsh imo Not everyone works that way , while I understand what your saying regarding a written contract I also agree with the fact that a verbal contract has been the backbone of many small business and one man or two man teams etc for ever . A gentleman’s handshake in many cultures is seen as a binding contract . Judge rinder and the American version judge Judy would find in favour of the op as long as he or she can show via email, text message or even a recorded conversation that the work was agreed and the costs involved. I’m sure after this experience the op will do things differently but whether you are an odd job man or a small job person or a large company/ business or just self employed there is nothing worse than supplying your labour, experience materials and your skills to be then not paid . Risk to your own livelihood and family is not what we work for .
I would agree, and as has been mentioned by others in this thread, often these problems crop up with "friends". This has certainly been my experience. It is often the people you wouldn't dream of asking to sign a formal contract who will let you down.

I would agree, and as has been mentioned by others in this thread, often these problems crop up with "friends". This has certainly been my experience. It is often the people you wouldn't dream of asking to sign a formal contract who will let you down.
All the more reason to put things in writing it protects both parties.

This is so true and it's why I will now only work for an established company on a labour only contract with a bi-weekly payment schedule.

From what I’ve seen those who are adept at avoiding paying have done so previously and know the law better than the average tradesperson, they know exactly what to not say and what to say . They know that you will be forced to go to small claims courts and they know that the longer they can delay the process the more it will cost you to recover your money and the likelihood is that you will give up . So small sums are probably not worth the cost to recover and even if the invoice is in the low thousands then the same will apply if as above they delay the process. I maybe wrong but I suspect that contracts will only protect large companies who have the resources to recover unpaid invoices. So unfortunately that bit of paper becomes pointless for small amounts. Best just send the lads round one night and give em a bit of old school justice 😂🤣🤔

The JCT80 small works form was designed for just this sort of work, used it extensively when I ran my small company, then went on to become a consultancy and the problems of non payment went away.

I ran my own boatbuilding business for 20 years, in that time i had two non payers. The first subbed a plank repair job to me & then knocked me for the money, it was only a couple of hundred quid but was a pain. The second was for a grp mould tool. I had known the guy for years & bought a lot of timber of him over that time, Always paying cash & on the nail. Quoted him & he was happy, Did the job on time & to spec & he didnt pay up, It took 3 months to get the materials cost out of him but he wouldnt pay the labour costs totalling approx £1500. Fortunately i still had the mould tool & he got shirty demanding i give it to him. I told him when you pay me you can have it. His exact words were "I aint effing paying you".
And so on monday morning he arrived at his workshop to find the mould tool outside his door chopped up into small pieces.
Some satisfaction was had! Thing was that bloke made a habit of it & ripped of several people i knew to the extent nobody would work for him as word got around.

The Travis Perkins store that I used to buy from had an unofficial list of non paying clients, which was updated on a regular basis. You were warned before you made the first order and started work, which was handy.

I ran my own boatbuilding business for 20 years, in that time i had two non payers. The first subbed a plank repair job to me & then knocked me for the money, it was only a couple of hundred quid but was a pain. The second was for a grp mould tool. I had known the guy for years & bought a lot of timber of him over that time, Always paying cash & on the nail. Quoted him & he was happy, Did the job on time & to spec & he didnt pay up, It took 3 months to get the materials cost out of him but he wouldnt pay the labour costs totalling approx £1500. Fortunately i still had the mould tool & he got shirty demanding i give it to him. I told him when you pay me you can have it. His exact words were "I aint effing paying you".
And so on monday morning he arrived at his workshop to find the mould tool outside his door chopped up into small pieces.
Some satisfaction was had! Thing was that bloke made a habit of it & ripped of several people i knew to the extent nobody would work for him as word got around.
And that’s how that type of person get’s through life but they don’t care but always come out on top . I guess karma catches up with them eventually..

Latest posts

Back