interlocking pvc or rubber mat floor tiles for woodworking garage workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. Anyone tried this type of system for flooring for a garage workshop? Or any other recommendations?
Thanks
https://duramat.co.uk/product/durat...MI6dfT9raa_AIVTtPtCh3eNwK2EAQYAyABEgKS0fD_BwE
It LOOKS like a closed cell foam type of tile (but maybe harder as it says just 7mm thick).
I tried a pack of the foam ones. They give warmth and resilience under foot which it nice, but they compress easily if you leave something heavy on them and the interlock pulls apart if you have to move something heavy over the them.

A better replacement has been a thinner (6 or 7mm) but much tougher rubber mat sold from time to time at costco for people who want to do weights at home - maybe in the garage.
Those are about 1 x 2 metres and £20 ish apiece.

I had similar in my shop and although warm and very comfortable @ sideways is spot on- trying to move my bandsaw ( approx 110 kg) into a workable position in my small shop was impossible. I removed them and purchased one of those rubber fatigue mats which i can place where I’m working and can be easily removed for moving my b/ saw around. All comes down to how much space you have .

I bought a load of tiles several years ago. I can't be 100% sure that it was these people but the warehouse looks familiar. I got a substantial discount for collection as they are pretty heavy and consume quite a volume in quantity.

The ones I bought were not solid. They are about 10mm thick, the top third or so being solid and the bottom two thirds being an open frame work which dissipates weight. Some of the eBay ones have an inconsistent colour - often with flecks of different colours embedded into the surface unless you buy non recycled ones. These were a pretty even colour all over and looked good.

I wanted the ones with some grip, ideally ones with a circle pattern on the top. They had run out when I went there so I went with ones which have a ribbed pattern in a diamond like pattern. These are great for grip but very hard on the knees if you bend down and quite difficult to manoeuvre heavy machinery over the top of.

I originally floored a double garage and a large shed with them. Very easy to install and easy to cut with a bandsaw - hard to cut by hand though. We moved house back in May and I took them all with me and relayed them in my large workshop. I used a few left overs in the garage. I think, in the seven or so years that I have had them, I've broken one (sharp object dropped at the wrong angle). When I moved and reused them they were so easy to re-lay , almost like new. A picture of them, in the new workshop is enclosed.

So, yes, the flooring type is a good idea, just avoid the ribbed profile ones!

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_185813.jpg
    IMG_20220916_185813.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I have what looks like the same product but with the "checkerplate" finish - makes them more non-slip IME. Not sure what make mine are as I got them from the workshop in the bike shop where I worked when it closed down. About 2/3 of my single garage workshop has them - looks smart and does help with tired feet when standing for long periods - and seem impervious to most things.

I have what looks like the same product but with the "checkerplate" finish - makes them more non-slip IME. Not sure what make mine are as I got them from the workshop in the bike shop where I worked when it closed down. About 2/3 of my single garage workshop has them - looks smart and does help with tired feet when standing for long periods - and seem impervious to most things.
I have the older version of the tiles (slightly different clip pattern) and think they are great. Very easy to fit. I went for the smooth grained version rather than chequer plate as was concerned about cleaning the chequer ones.

I had reservations about heavy kit on them too, they do dent a bit but recover well. Super easy to clean, and if one gets too tarnished or dirty can be swapped out in minutes.

Got them in my workshop and garage, been down for 2 years now without issue. Duramat at were very easy to deal with, I collected as I’m local.

Mark

I’ve just completed flooring my garage workshop. Costco have some techno athletic 2m x 1m hard rubber mats. Worked well and can easily move the bandsaw and p/t around. Were £30 each, but (just my luck) on offer atm for £25. They are rolled up when you purchase them and it takes a while for them to lay flat, but they get there eventually

Have brought Halfords Matts 2 packs of 6 2'sq Matts for £25.

Just need to clean the floor to put them down!!

Latest posts

Back