I'm Really Naffed Off!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok guess what some scum bag has done - cloned my bloody bank card and tried to clear my account

Luckily my bank spotted irregular internet spending activity and as they couldn't contact me stopped the card before any real damage was done. I have got to commend them for their prompt action.

The only problem is that my bank has cancelled all my debit cards on my three accounts as a precaution and are re-issuing them -hopefully they will be with me in a few days

All I will say is I would love to meet the thieving barsteward who tried this - I have got some lovely 4" x 2" Oak I would like to introduce them too!

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

My wife's bank account was ripped off to the tune of £3,000 by someone buying air tickets to India with her debit card details. We told the bank of a company we suspected of leaking the card details. Fortunately the bank realised it was crooks and she was refunded the whole amount.

Don't user debit cards over the phone or on the net stick to credit cards - it's easier to query and not pay a credit card bill than trying to get money back once it's been taken from your account with a debit card.

Yes used my card when out on Saturday Morning and the transaction was declined despite there being a good credit balance.

I immediately phoned the bank and as it was a Saturday they were only able to tell me there was concerns re fraudulent activity and that the cards has been suspended as a precaution - It was only on Monday when I spoke to their fraud team that I learnt in full.

When I got home on Saturday afternoon there was a message on our home answerphone where the bank had tried to phone me as advising of the suspension of the cards until they could speak with me.

I have got no problem with what the bank has done, I havn't lost a penny due to their systems, there were a couple of smaller transactions they were unable to block but they have immediately covered those.

I just wish I knew where it was copied - they have the details off the front and the three security numbers on the back but not my pin or security passwords/answers hence all the fraudulent transactions were tried over the internet.

Still mad though :x :x

Funny, but my personal view is much as we all like a bit of drama the cards are just precationary locked every now and again.
We've had a barclay card for umteen years and we didn't use it for a week and suddenly it says "wrong pin" so tried again wrong pin.
Next thing you know its locked and if you've no cash on you it can be embarrasing.I think they had blocked ( as a random precaution)
that card long before we used it.We phoned India :lol: to get it unlocked and could not get it sorted to our satisfaction so we closed the account.
And of course you've memorized the pin for 10 years and now you've got a new pin.
I wouldn't believe a bank if they told me it was tuesday.

I dont know who your bank is, but be warned that Natwest will reissue cards, telling you that your pin number is the same. That is not always the case- myself and another person managed to block the replacement card by inputting the wrong pin 3 times!

The has been a whole spate of leaks\hacks from various websites\systems where credit card details have been siphoned off. In some cases the CVV (3 digit code) may have also been stored, etc.

I had a call from HSBC a while ago - who it turned out had a whole range of card numbers compromised, so re-issued the cards. Normally I don't have an issue buying stuff over the phone\web with either the credit or debit card, as both are Visa cards and the protection afforded by Visa is certainly in my favour.

Sorry to hear about your headache.

Dibs

I think you're wrong there Andy, I've had my card cloned a couple of times and it was only thr prompt action of the bank that identified the attempted fraud and blocked it. They have very good algorithms that build up a history of your spending activities and jump in when it looks irregular. Worked each time for me and they refunded anything that was taken.

About 6 mths ago SWMBO's card was stopped by Lloyds for 'suspicious' activity. They text'ed her immediately asking her to call them, and explained the situation. Turned out to just be £7 ebay fees being taken early, but I was very happy that the bank err'ed on the side of caution. Couple of days later a new card arrived.

As I understand it the thieves generally try a couple of small transactions to make sure it's working and then go for the big one.

Roy

Petrol stations are nasty places to use cards imo, so I purchase 99% plus only at our local supermarket. Otherwise I pay cash.

Supermarket staff are more likely to have a character check before employment.

Thinking back I believe it was a petrol station in Whitby where it happened - and have reported to the police.

When I went to pay I put my card into the top slot of the machine with the keypad on - the cashier (Nice young lady!) said that they were having probs with it and removed the card and wiped it on her jacket, obviously to view the security number on the back and then replaced it into the slot on the front of the machine rather than the one on the top - it was obviously cloned with a reader somehow built into that machine.

When I spoke to the police they transferred me to a local regional fraud squad in Yorkshire who said that this is happening all the time up there at the moment.

At least they didnt get my pin number though!

I had my card / pin cloned at a petrol station in Leicester a couple of years ago - along with lots of other people. The owner even made the local news when they prosecuted him.

Si.

I've had it happen 3 times :x

1st was had a phone call from the bank to say that someone had tried to buy something for £500 in Thailand but they had blocked my card - that was due to a t-sser in one of our local petrol stations (he did loads of cards) I watched him swipe the card and then he swiped it again. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Never paid for petrol after that by card - always use cash now.

Next different bank but same thing someone had tried to order a 42" Plasma from Tesco's online - the bank phoned to ask me why I was having it delivered 400 miles away in Glasgow.

Last one was in January this year. I had my statement come through and noticed that someone had bought something at Prague airport, pizza's from Pizza hut had a few tunes downloaded from ITunes and a few other bits and bobs. The bank refunded my money - but the thieving scum should have their scrotums dragged with carpet gripper and then have paint thinners poured over their bleeding sack!

Dave

I told yer. :) :) :)

Another dodge they use is to distract you and not hand back your card. When you go back for it, its a bit lighter. :) :) :)

I must say that I have been contacted twice by my bank when they spotted an unusual transaction with my debit card so I am happy with them - Lloyds/TSB.

I note the difference between Debit & Credit cards, but I personally don't like to see credit card companies charge so much especially when they take 4 days to process a payment AND many online purchases add a %age for the privilege of using a credit card. This is clearly to off-set the %age that the credit card companies charge sellers; is it really up to 10%?!!!

Finally, I am so glad that the banks have been made to see sense by public and political arguments and are continuing with cheques. I know we don't use them much, but for smaller traders especially at far flung craft shows (with no holes in the wall nearby) what other way is there of paying once the dosh has gone?!! However, the banks MUST bring back cheque cards in some form to back this up.

And now I'm off to see my bank!!

Phil

treeturner123":3h6z0rc5 said:
I note the difference between Debit & Credit cards, but I personally don't like to see credit card companies charge so much especially when they take 4 days to process a payment AND many online purchases add a %age for the privilege of using a credit card. This is clearly to off-set the %age that the credit card companies charge sellers; is it really up to 10%?!!!

Seem to remember reading somewhere that they weren't supposed to do this. But like as not, if true, getting it enforced will be like sticking sawdust back together.

treeturner123":117yizar said:

Don't know where you get your figures from. My CC company doesn't charge anything for using it and charges no interest as I always pay within a week or so of getting the account. In short - it costs me nothing.

Most traders pay about 4%, much the same as PayPal charges sellers. Big users get special lower rates from all the companies.

Traders shouldn't charge a premium for using a card - if they do go elsewhere.

RogerS":1o7c86wf said:
treeturner123":1o7c86wf said:

Seem to remember reading somewhere that they weren't supposed to do this. But like as not, if true, getting it enforced will be like sticking sawdust back together.

Can't remember the actual figures but it's something like 0.8% for Visa/Mastercard and 1.5% for Amex. There is more charged by the point-of-sale provider/payment processor etc., which I can't say I know the figures for. I worked for one of the big credit card companies until recently (don't hold it against me!!).

DVLA & BA for two, charge a premium if you pay by CC - free if you use Debit Card.

Rod

Some piece of s@*t bought clothing over the internet using my card spending over £500, Barclaycard fortunately picked this up and rang me, the wife spoke to them as I have hearing aids and dont like using the phone and as she was speaking to the chap in the fraud department someone booked cosmetic surgery using my card which the chap stopped immediately. I had to give Barclaycard authority to check my phone calls and my internet usage so they could check it wasn't me using my card!
I know exactly how you feel Dodge.

Stew

Back