if you could....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Travelled through the Normandy cemeteries in the 80s with my stepfather, who was crew of a D day landing craft, the only time he ever spoke of that experience and it has stayed with me. Amazing and terrifying in equal measure
your StepDad's LCA was almost certainly delivered to Sword beach on DDay by my Dad's ship HMS Glenearn (landing Ship Infantry Large) which carried 24 LCA's and 4x LCT's along with up to 1500 Infantry and Special Forces.
There was an fascinating book written about the war time exploits of HMS Glenearn called 'In Time Of War' by Aiken . From initial fitment to when she went to Japan after the War as an Allied Command ship prior to Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs. it includes voyages to America and to Australia to practice LCA landings prior to the Normandy landings on DDay and after. HMS GLENEARN. LANDING SHIP INFANTRY (LARGE) OR LSi (l).

Theres quite a few I’d like to meet but if only a couple then
Kieran Binnie
George Hepplewhite
I like to chat with like minded people

I would recomend listening to Mike & The Mechanics, "In the living years". A real lesson on how we need to talk when they are alive not regret when they aren't.

Back