I would like to look at your workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Holtham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an exciting project in prospect and would like to enlist help from any one willing to get involved. I have run this by the Mods first to check all is OK.

I am just starting on a new book looking at woodworking workshops, their design, construction and layout. It will be vaguely similar to the Scott Landis book but will feature more of the issues like storage, dust extraction, heating and most importantly, budget, that we all seem to struggle with.

I would like to illustrate it with practical examples from a range of workshops and also feature in detail the layout of these workshops and show how they have overcome the various constraints. I am particularly interested in the amount of working space you have and how you have set everything out to work within this and what you produce as an end product. I want to see everything from tiny little setups to full sized semi industrial workshops, professional or amateur, I want wooden sheds, converted garages and purpose built buildings

I know that we are all voyeurs when it comes to other peoples workshops as has been demonstrated by the interest in workshop threads on this and other forums, and hope that the book will become the definitive guide to setting up a workshop no matter what the difficulties you have to overcome.

This is hopefully where you come in. If you would like your workshop featured, no matter how big or small, tidy or disorganised, I would like to see it. I would need to visit you, draw a plan and take lots of pictures. There is nothing in it for you apart from the glory of seeing your haven in print and you would need to sign a release form allowing me to use the pictures of your property.

I think it could be a fascinating journey of discovery as we can all learn from the ideas of others as we have already seen on the forum. I just want to crystallise all these ideas into one easily accessible resource.

Although I have already made a start on the text, I anticipate beginning the workshop visits very early next year, I am only at the research stage at the moment. If you are not interested but know someone who might be please pass the message on.

If you are interested please either contact me through the forum or pm me with your details. Your location is obviously critical so I can plan a round trip of visits.

I hope this is all in order and my request hasn’t offended anyone, if it has then my apologies.

Best regards,

Alan

Alan,
You're more than welcome to visit my untidy hovel.
It's a single garage, which still contains bikes, lawnmowers etc, as well as my benches, tools etc. I reckon in total I've spent less than £1K setting up the workshop (which includes all power tools, benches & extraction) - the extraction is very much a work in progress though.

Alan - sounds like a great book. I've just about finished re-organising my single garage workshop, and your more than welcome to come and look around if you like.

Cheers

Karl

Alan,

you are more than welcome to come and have a look around mine.......so long as this isn't part of a conspiracy to get me involved in the world of spinning wood!

I presume you will protect addresses, to avoid nocturnal visits from those involved in the redistribution of wealth the old fashioned way?

Cheers

Mike

Alan, if you're including a 'how not to do it' section my place might be worth a look!

Good luck with the book, I'm interested already but be careful that the chapter on dust extraction doesn't become the book.

Best Wishes with this venture,

Brendan

Hi Alan,
You are welcome to include mine if you wish, customary three weeks notice so I can tidy up etc .... :oops:
Close by Waka & Philly if they are up for it.
Cheers,
Martin

No, pipper off!

:lol: :lol: Only kidding. Nothing in my workshop is worthy of print. I'm sure you'll find a few people on here with drool worthy workshops. Look forward to the book.

hi alan

Mine is a very large timber clad shed that i built entirely myself , as you can see of my www below if it's of interest to you then yes . hc

C`mon Tom,
You must have the best laid out woodstore of any of us... :wink:

I would imagine Alan wants a broad spectrum of shops, to enlighten readers just what is possible even in the smallest, untidiest of work areas.

And on at note Alan, you welcome in my shop anytime...big it is not nor tidy but you would be more than welcome.

Alan you're welcome to come and see mine as well, I work out of a doublish garage that bizarrely has a car in the middle of it. Makes life a challenge

Cheers - Damian

Wow - the alan holtham ? we're not worthy , we're not worthy *prostrates ones self on the floor*

you are most welcome to come see both my home workshop , and/or the workshop set up for our (national trail) woodworking volunteers if you wish.

my own is a basic single garage spread , while the work one is a (less than structurely perfect) agricultural building - tho we hope to be moving to an industrial unit in the not to distant future.

Alan

You would be more than welcome to come and view my extremely untidy and really quite cramped wooden shed.

Bob

I'm up for this as well, my new workshop build is shown below and the single garage I used to work in still shows signs of activity. If you want sample pics let me know.

Latest posts

Back