I have been asked to do some face frames for a friend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tisdai

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been asked to do some face frames for a friend who is doing some kitchen cabinates, Now i would normally mortice and tenon them personally but he needs them asap so i was thinking about investing the money for doing them by buying a kreg pocket hole jig set-up.

I have seen here on the forum about how quickly and easily they can be done, Now if i do buy the kit would it be advisable for me to buy the Pocket Hole Clamps to make it easier to align and screw the frames together. Obviously they could come in handy for other projects as well, but being that i have never used one any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

tisdai":13h8fi72 said:
Hi

I have seen here on the forum about how quickly and easily they can be done, Now if i do buy the kit would it be advisable for me to buy the Pocket Hole Clamps to make it easier to align and screw the frames together. Obviously they could come in handy for other projects as well, but being that i have never used one any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
Your best choice will depend your existing kit.

Pocket hole screws will pull the work out of alignment in many cases if they are not clamped. So for ease and speed the clamps do the job. There are of different clamps for different jobs so do make sure you get the right ones.

tisdai":3barsxot said:
I was thinking of a set of 2 of these clamps to go with the Kreg K4 System,

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/clamps-&-vices/clamps---face/38518/pocket-hole-clamps

I can allways build up the set as i go along to go with that type of job that needs doing at the time.

Cheers for the reply I appreciate it.

Dave
If you get those I think you will regret it. they will be slow to setup and if you intend to do quite few then http://www.axminster.co.uk/kreg-kreg-pr ... rod790541/ these will be much faster and not much more expensive.

I have the K4 jig and the clamp and would definately buy the kreg clamp as you can use it to clamp the jig onto flat panels as well.

But when assembling frames for the kitchens I make I normally use a quick clamp to keep the pieces in line and cramp them to the bench.

But the I do use the Kreg clamp for bigger frames when I cannot clamp them to the bench.

You will be amazed at how many other things you will use the Kreg Jig for.

Tom

Hello, I used the Kreg kit for face frames in my kitchen and worked very well.

I did find that unless clamped up very well and tight you can get a bit of movement as you do up the screws, so I used a couple of blocks to cover the whole joint area and a quick clamp and worked well.

I don't think they'll last as long as M&T, but worth having for all kinds. Knocking up quick storage of jigs they are good one too.

Thanks for all of your replies and advice it is much appreciated and it has helped me make my mind up on what to get for the kit now, :)

Cheers

Dave

Back