I had so much fun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I had so much fun when i posted whats your favorite sweet that i thought i would try " Whats the most unusual saying/word local to you, My mate in Derbyshire says "tin tin tin" meaning It is'nt in the tin. Local to me "tor reet sithy "are you alright mate"fettling " cleaning , polishing etc "coat of looking at " check it out There will be more ( Hopefuly )

Having moved to Aberdeen 10years back I'm now aware of the Doric Language/dialect, not really anything unusual to the locals but some of my favourite words are Puddock (Frog) and Minky Oxters (sweaty armpits).

From the west country I like the phrase "a'right my lover" which is completely acceptable to say to anyone, even if it's the first time meeting them. The face on many a London lass, or similar who's in the area on holiday, as she walked into the village butchers (where I worked as a lad) and was greeted with "a'right my lover" was priceless.

Having moved to Aberdeen 10years back I'm now aware of the Doric Language/dialect, not really anything unusual to the locals but some of my favourite words are Puddock (Frog) and Minky Oxters (sweaty armpits).

From the west country I like the phrase "a'right my lover" which is completely acceptable to say to anyone, even if it's the first time meeting them. The face on many a London lass, or similar who's in the area on holiday, as she walked into the village butchers (where I worked as a lad) and was greeted with "a'right my lover" was priceless.
We are moving to the West Country next week from Manchester so some fun to be had I came across that "my lover "some years ago and thought friendly bunch down here.

Fit like loon?......Ach, nae bad, just chavin awaw. Quine, can ye spear yer mither fit she's haein for fly.
My aul-man was born and brocht up in Aiberdeenshire, so was a fluent Doric speaker. It takes me a while to tune into Doric now and I have forgotten a lot of it unfortunately.

Fit like loon?......Ach, nae bad, just chavin awaw. Quine, can ye spear yer mither fit she's haein for fly.
My aul-man was born and brocht up in Aiberdeenshire, so was a fluent Doric speaker. It takes me a while to tune into Doric now and I have forgotten a lot of it unfortunately.
Well dont leave us hanging translation please Sandy

Well dont leave us hanging translation please Sandy
This might help you :ROFLMAO:
Fit like loon?:- Fit like, means-how are you?. Loon is a boy, so how are you boy? Fit means what. Fit like loon literally translates to What like boy, but you are asking how they are.
......Ach, nae bad, just chavin awaw:- Ach, nae bad, means -oh, I'm not bad(i'm OK). chavin away, means working away, but chavin can also mean someone who won't stay still. My father used to call me a chavin bug**r, I was always flying about.

Quine, can ye spear yer mither fit she's haein for fly. Quine= girl. Can you spear yer mither, means-can you ask your mother. Fit she's haein for fly. What she is having for tea. When working, you would stop and have your fly- that's just a quick cup of tea in the morning and afternoon.
My aul-man was born and brocht up in Aiberdeenshire - My father was born and brought up in Aberdeenshire.

Fit like loon?:- Fit like, means-how are you?. Loon is a boy, so how are you boy? Fit means what. Fit like loon literally translates to What like boy, but you are asking how they are.
......Ach, nae bad, just chavin awaw:- Ach, nae bad, means -oh, I'm not bad(i'm OK). chavin away, means working away, but chavin can also mean someone who won't stay still. My father used to call me a chavin bug**r, I was always flying about.

Quine, can ye spear yer mither fit she's haein for fly. Quine= girl. Can you spear yer mither, means-can you ask your mother. Fit she's haein for fly. What she is having for tea. When working, you would stop and have your fly- that's just a quick cup of tea in the morning and afternoon.
My aul-man was born and brocht up in Aiberdeenshire - My father was born and brought up in Aberdeenshire.
Thank you Sandy Wow like being abroad on hols The last bit i worked out "aul man"etc and i have heard "fly" before in Lancs mining speak they say "snap" for grub But thank you

Thank you Sandy Wow like being abroad on hols The last bit i worked out "aul man"etc and i have heard "fly" before in Lancs mining speak they say "snap" for grub But thank you
most areas have their local words. When I first went to live in Bradford, years ago, it was like a foreign language.

When I was a wee lad in Angus, Scotland, the greeting was always "Foo they Hingin'" and the reply was "Hingin' plumb".
60 years later I can still recite " Nicky Tams " word perfect.

I did hear one the other day that I've not heard for a long time here in the Black Country: Doh try fixin' summat tharray bost. Translation: Don't try fixing something that isn't broken.

I did hear one the other day that I've not heard for a long time here in the Black Country: Doh try fixin' summat tharray bost. Translation: Don't try fixing something that isn't broken.
My quote on my avitar so true , I could read that i thought how would it sound if Noddy Holder was saying it or even Ozzy

I grew up in South Yorkshire and we used the word gob quite frequently as a substitute for mouth. It was never considered to be a bad word just a bit of common slang.
I now live in Northamptonshire and I was surprised when I was called into my little ones nursery because she had been using bad language to find that the word gob was in this category. The lady was outraged that I felt it was nothing to worry about and that I used it at home often. I am assuming this to be a regional thing but it is frightfully middle class where I live now and it could easily be a class thing.

Back