I had so much fun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
😆 Thingybob, you wait till you go to newton abbott asda or trago mills, you'll see some sights!!
Dreckly means 'directly ' or probably more accurately, sometime soon.... by next year....

Me lover is quite common

Grockle means tourist

You'll need to start drinking cider ( or butcombe, dont ask )

What sort of age range are you in? I can recommend some places to visit....

This might help you :ROFLMAO:
Fit like loon?:- Fit like, means-how are you?. Loon is a boy, so how are you boy? Fit means what. Fit like loon literally translates to What like boy, but you are asking how they are.
......Ach, nae bad, just chavin awaw:- Ach, nae bad, means -oh, I'm not bad(i'm OK). chavin away, means working away, but chavin can also mean someone who won't stay still. My father used to call me a chavin bug**r, I was always flying about.

Quine, can ye spear yer mither fit she's haein for fly. Quine= girl. Can you spear yer mither, means-can you ask your mother. Fit she's haein for fly. What she is having for tea. When working, you would stop and have your fly- that's just a quick cup of tea in the morning and afternoon.
My aul-man was born and brocht up in Aiberdeenshire - My father was born and brought up in Aberdeenshire.
Many, many years ago I was living in a Halls of Residence and next door there were 2 Scottish lads we christened 'Fits and Futs' as in 'fits that' or 'futs that' - I have no idea of the difference, probably it was the same but to our Sassenach ears it was what's this or what's that.

When I joined ICL in Kidsgrove in 1976 the local blokes offered to teach me 'arfur toe crate'

starting with...'canst kick a bew aginst a wew yed it w yer ed n bostit?'

Oh yep, and, in newton abbott, theres the cider bar..... go try 'diesel' it'll put hairs on yer chest..... and other places 😆🤣

Sassenach- my Gaelic speaking neighbour tells me this means you do not have the Gaelic, nothing to do with coming from south of the border as many think :)

😆 Thingybob, you wait till you go to newton abbott asda or trago mills, you'll see some sights!!
Dreckly means 'directly ' or probably more accurately, sometime soon.... by next year....

Me lover is quite common

Grockle means tourist

You'll need to start drinking cider ( or butcombe, dont ask )

What sort of age range are you in? I can recommend some places to visit....
Ok Kev My wifes family all moved to Newton Abbot in 80s so spent a lot of time down there , Used to drink in cider bar (tried to fit carpet like they had in bar room lol) Trago brill not so good now, Tuckers alas gone now, Marble museum spend hours in there and sister in law has a spot on hospital radio so a mine of info PS been called a grockle many times just used to ignore carrot crunchers " only joking "

I am assuming this to be a regional thing but it is frightfully middle class where I live now and it could easily be a class thing.
It is a southern class thing, do you notice that if someone decides to clean their car then everyone else follows suit, or someone cuts the grass and they all cut the grass because it is something I really disliked living down south, I put up hanging baskets and the neighbours did the same a few days later, used to be called keeping up with the joneses.

It is a southern class thing, do you notice that if someone decides to clean their car then everyone else follows suit, or someone cuts the grass and they all cut the grass because it is something I really disliked living down south, I put up hanging baskets and the neighbours did the same a few days later, used to be called keeping up with the joneses.
Now adays its trending where people cant do something unique for them selves got to check it out on social media Boreing yawn
Oh yep, and, in newton abbott, theres the cider bar..... go try 'diesel' it'll put hairs on yer chest..... and other places 😆🤣
What me toes

I worked in Torquay back in the 60s for a season in hotels , We used to drink in the Rising Sun pub .on the top road near cop shop one night i asked a local was it true that labourers tied thier pants up below the knee to stop rats running up them when in the fields no he said and if we kept drinking rough farm scrumpy we would soon find out why

🤣 there used to be a pub called the hop and grapes ( or hope and grope ) , not sure if its still there. I went to colledge up the top near the cop shop ( used to be torquay tech, moved now i believe. )

I worked for a while near Dungannon, and when I asked the Director for money to buy ANYTHING, a look of shock mixed with pity would appear on his face and he would say “ I only walk one way to the well, to pour water in, not take it out!” Whereupon he would try and escape you..…

Oh and a Brummie friend of mine on seeing a rain cloud coming always says “It’s a bit black over our Bill’s mothers” or more correctly muthers….lol

My grandfather was an East Riding farm worker, and he had a good store of odd sayings:
On something Mrs Thatcher said: "Nivver in' history of crow sh*te".
If we were being a bit dumb: "Th'art a gre-at clart 'ee-ad" (mud for brains).
And he spoke a bit of dialect: "Bobbin up an' down like a tyrfitt i' forf" (a tyrfitt is a lapwing, forf is a ploughed field).

Back