I’m lost

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
I have changed the1/2” BSP glands on this tap but it’s still dripping. Any ideas

I was going to change the tap but it seems to involve me having to remove the worktop and butler sink🫣🫣😡😡🥵🥵

more info really.....but often it's easy to loose or damage the union sealing ring, either compressed card or rubber.....
I always use a smear of grease to hold it in place.....
maybe even and extra tweek with one of these......almost a spanner from the past....
s-l1600-1.jpg

biggest problem with under sink repairs is getting back up off the floor....old age is carp......lol....

Just to confirm it’s the tap that’s dripping
I forgot to upload the photo I took of the parts I changed
Are you guys saying the tap can be replaced with that
image.jpg
tool?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Couldn't find the proper cutter to re-cut a tap seat a few months back managed with a cut down Stanley blade set into a piece of doweling to gently scrap away enough to get a seal - slow painful job don't do what I did buy the proper tool. Or as it's a newish tap buy the same type and replace only the top part from above.

If new internal parts haven't worked it could be wear on the inside of the tap body causing the new parts not to seat properly

Haha.
I also need to replace a bath tap - 40yr old, dripping but welded together with limescale. I've beaten it hard but simply can't pull the tap head up off the stem after removing the set screw.
My version of the basin wrench can't apply enough torque to get the nut off either to replace the tap. It'll drip until spring and then come out when I replace the bath !

If it is a conventional tap washer arrangement in the taps then it looks like they need reseating as others have indicated. What tends to happen, if you don't attend to the drip quickly enough the water erodes a a tiny path in the brass seating. It will cost about 18 quid for the tool - well worth having if you still have old style taps.

Sorry rs6mra this is not an answer to your problem; but I have always called these sinks "Belfast" sinks. Apparently there are differences between the two and this particular description (below)would suggest that yours is a "Belfast".
Hope you get yours sorted. Must admit the last time I used my seating tool was about 30 years ago!

Why choose a Belfast or Butler sink?

Last edited:
To my utmost disappointment I woke up this morning to a dripping tap!!!!
I just can’t figure out why

So back to basics
If the drip is from the water outlet/spout on the tap then you need to change the washer. Undo the large brass nut and the assembly will come off. You can then see the washer - maybe held on with a small nut undo nut replace washer and reinstall the assembly.
If you cannot immediately get a new washer reuse the existing one by removing it as above and fit the worn side to the assembly and the nice new smooth side outwards this should sort your problem
Let us know how it goes

If this is the washer you’re referring to then I can confirm I have already changed this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
That should have worked unless you've damaged the seat by scraping it and the reseating tool cant take the damage out. What I would do is swap over the hot and cold mechanism and see which one drips, that will tell you if the fault is the tap seat or the valve. If the latter then I would be tempted to buy a couple of new valves, they aren't expensive but you'd need to take it with you to a plumbers merchant or have it in front of you with measurements if buying on line. There are companies that sell nearly all variations and show diagrams and dimensions.
If the same side still drips after swapping them over then it's the tap seat and you'll just have to keep trying the tool and if no good then it's a new tap, it's unusual but quite possible for the seat to have a hairline crack.

Best of luck, Belfast sinks are damned awful things when anything goes wrong.

If the drip is from the tap spout, how can you tell which side is leaking? Both sides feed the same spout so either or both could be leaking?

I'm not a plumber and have no skills in that direction. If this is rubbish, be kind!

If this is the washer you’re referring to then I can confirm I have already changed this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Could it be air getting in at the base of the outlet spout- allowing water already in the system, to drip out? It might be worth changing the O ring/ washer at the swivel joint of the outlet spout in case it is letting air in. I have had a similar problem with a shower head that will suddenly start dripping a couple hours after use.

You could try, as well as having the taps turned off overnight, also turning off the valves in the hot and cold feed , and see if there is still evidence of dripping

Latest posts

Back