How to remove beds from an oldish Sedgwick MB planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Warren

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post. I hope it's not too difficult. I bought this rather scruffy but still perfectly functioning MB at the weekend but it's still stuck in the sellers workshop as he's down a gravel drive so I can't get a pallet company to pick it up. I need to disassemble it, at least removing the beds, anyway as my workshop's up a couple of flights of stairs when I do eventually get it back here. When I went to test it we had a look over it and couldn't see any obvious way of getting them off. They appear to be mounted as a single cast running on a bar but that's as far as I got in looking as I was blissfully unaware that I was going to have to go back down and strip it. The seller believed it was made in the mid eighties.
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Any help will be very gratefully received

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 112
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 112
You can take the top tables off by unscrewing the adjustment handles anti clockwise all the way down. Just watch they don't drop onto your feet. You can then lay it on its back to take the motor off which will also save you a few kilo. I moved one similar a few years ago into the back of my van and it was still heavy in this condition. Have 2 or 3 3 strong mates available to help you as you don't want to drop it down the stairs.

Many thanks Acewoodturner! Will give it a go. I sent the pics to Sedgwick and gave them a call. Their stock reply was don't take them off under any circumstances and that my planer was from the ark not the eighties. Hats off to Sedgwick regards build quality cos that planer's probably been dragged around by the beds a thousand times and they're still true!

Does it have the guard extension, which hinges over the fence, to the right? This covers the exposed knives when you are working on the left hand side of the cutter block. I move my Sedgwick MB up and down my shop on 'Roman-rollers' I.e., lengths of broom handle, which are permanently under the machine. (I only move it forwards or backwards, when I am planing longer stock. Which isn't often, you understand. When I learn how to weld, I will make a proper trolley! :D

PS. If you've a narrow shop like mine, the handle is very prone to being broken off the adjuster wheel; and also it's real painful if you fetch your shins against it. I changed mine for a nice metal handle. It still hurts my shins, but it doesn't shear off if a heavy plank hits it. 8)

John

Thanks John.
It does have the guard extension although it's hanging on by a thread. I'm looking forward to giving the whole machine a good clean up and a little tlc. I expect I'll be posting another thread soon asking a lot more questions.
Like you my workshop's quite small too - 35sq metres so it'll definitely be on wheels.
What size breaker do you use for yours btw.. The guy I bought it off is running it from a 16amp sergeant socket, which from the research I've done is pushing it but feasible. A sparky we use regularly, thinks it'll be ok at 16amp as long as it's on a type c breaker. My grasp of electrics is limited to wiring up lamps and such so as soon as he starts getting into detail it all turns to white noise. I just wanna know what works for others really. I will be running wide long boards of mostly oak and walnut through it so it'll want to suck the juice down.
I'll watch out for that handle! Maybe I'll wear some shin guards for the time being.... :).

Thanks again John

Graham,

I left all the gubbins about amps etc., to an electrician pal. He wired up the machine and fitted one of the large blue/grey plastic plugs, with round pins. The socket is on the wall, connected to a main breaker switch unit. I believe it is 16 amp, but from the way he spoke, it could be 32. I don't know. My electrics ability extends to changing plugs, lamp-holders, switches and sockets on the ring-main. I wouldn't venture to fit a light in the circuit for instance.

The planer works fine, with just a little 'lights flicker', when I switch on. I am getting that sorted too, as the house is due a new Consumer Unit. I'll keep you posted on that one, but my new shed comes first. :mrgreen: I MUST find somewhere to put my timber, other than under my feet in the shop, or under a tarpaulin in the yard!

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... ne-Handles

I believe this is the firm from whence I got a replacement handle. If I recall the thread size is an M8, but you can soon suss that out. There are one or two designs on this site that would be stronger than the original.

The MB is a great machine and you won't be disappointed.

All the best...

Thanks for the info John
I think I'll see how it goes on the 16amp and step it up to 32amp if needs be as it'll mean upgrading the cables too.

What a great forum this is... I've read loads of good info on here over the years but never had a reason to sign up. Really glad I finally did!

Cheers G

Back