How to fit a 3.50 x 8 tyre and tube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
Wheelbarrow prob. Had a wrestle already - there must be an easy way!
Any hints?

As Nail says, push the bead opposite where you are using your tyre lever down into the well of the rim. Same when you put it back on then blowing it up will pop the tyre back where it belongs.

Ive done this a few times its a right bxxxxx to do, Ive used long strong tyre screwdrivers to force the tyre over the rim and used my foot in conjunction to help. As Nail says push the bead (on the same side as the tyre lever) into the well as it gives a bit more room.
On one occasion I went to my local tyre replacement shop and they popped it in for me cost £2 well worth it.

edit solid tyres lose the bounce of traditional tyres - I think you buy a new wheel and tyre complete - not fit a solid tyre to your existing wheel.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with @toysandboats just circumvent the problem by buying a solid tyre. I found that I was always having flat tyres, and that the rubber on them was often degrading after only a couple of years, much like elastic bands, now seem to perish after only a few months.

Recently had the same issue and the reason it was a pain is because the tube swmbo got had the valve angled like most bikes…from the inside pointing to the centre of the wheel whereas on a wheelbarrow it needs to exit more to one side as there isn’t sufficient clearance between the wheel hub and the wheel rim. Solution was to just buy a new wheel complete with tyre and tube off eBay for less than £15

I grew up fitting tyres as my dad owned a garage/tyre sales. I can honestly say that I've fitted 100s of wheelbarrow tyres, including two of my own recently, and have never used any levers. There's a technique and once you've got the hang of it, it literally takes seconds.
The current supply of inner tubes are absolute rubbish - valve stems don't suit the rim shape and will split from the tube after a year or too.

I also recently got completely fed up with the pneumatic tyres on the
wheelbarrows. So, sold my soul, and got some solid ones from Amazon.
They work just fine, the only compromise being that you forfeit the
silent, bounceless ride. But, IME, I think it's a compromise worth making.

..... There's a technique and once you've got the hang of it, it literally takes seconds.

I thought there would be! I'll have another bash tomorrow. I've got some cable ties.

Back