How do you trim a plastic plinth?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeOsage

Reaction score
Hi,

It's not strictly wood but presumably joiners come across this often.

I'm fitting a Howden's kitchen, and although the majority of the plinth is coated MDF which has been fine to work with, I have curved corner units, for which I have been provided curved, plastic plinth pieces. Infuriatingly they are about 3mm too high for the gap underneath the carcase and raising the carcase isn't an option, the whole kitchen, worktop, etc is in, it's just the plinths left to do.

What's the best way to trim a couple of mm off these corner pieces? And won't that compromise the stability of the plinth edge?

Thanks in Advance.

hi , in the past fitting acrylic bath panels had the same problem i set a marking guage up and scribed the line gradually deepening the groove till i could snap the waste off no easy way think a power tool would shatter it

Hi Neosage,

Probably the best way to trim a few mm off would be to use an Angle Grinder.

I have to trim down plastic quite often in my job as a kitchen fitter, and have found the grinder to be the best tool.

I am assuming that the corner plinths are of an extruded plastic type of material..???
Just mark your cut line, and use the thinnest disc you can find to cut along the line. It can get a bit messy, so be prepared to clean up afterwards.

If you have to cut off quite a bit, you can loose a bit of strength from the plinth, but once the curved plinth is fitted in position, the legs that it sits against should keep it rigid enough.

Hope this helps, regards Tim.

Thanks a lot for the replies, much appreciated. I have a block plane so I gave it a go on a cut-off to test and it worked nicely, so I did the lot in about 20 minutes. I have an electric plane too but was worried it would chew them to shreds. Now the plinth is in position the surrounding legs, holding brackets & carcase are indeed ensuring it's all fairly rigid and strong. It ain't going anywhere :)

Just the splashbacks now and my first (and last) fitted kitchen!

Thanks again,

Ne.

Back