How do I rekindle my enthusiasm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sam, I haven't read all the replies you have had, so you may have already lit the flames.

When I retired at age 70, I tried a number of things to retain interest and then hit on woodwork, which I hadn't done since school, other than knock up a shelf. My interest was fired by watching loads of videos on YOU-TUBE and seeing small objects being made. Not kidding myself that I could become a cabinet maker and think about furniture, as that would be too complex.

Little bandsaw boxes seemed a good idea and from a very shaky start, soon completed some that were ar least presentable to SWMBO for comment. I kept going by looking at lots of work on this site, all very interesting and helping me to select tools and try different things.

I have yet to make a joint, althought that is planed for the new year, but just trying diffent ideas has helped to keep me going. I sell a few through a very low cost site called Etsy, but this does not make woodwork profitable, just helps to fund more wood.

Your last reply mentioned Mend Sheds and that may fire things up a bit, but try also to get and meet others doing woodwork. I have met a few guys, who have shown me things I can try and they have all been so very helpful and friendly which also helps keep my own interest.

Whatever you do, keep the interest and try and post the odd photo of whatever you make on this forum and get the response of others. Woodworking is surprisingly a lonely hobby unless you have local chums nearby, but it is such a rewarding hobby when things go right. Good luck and keep posting your progress as there are many hears who want to see you progress.

Malcolm

Hi Sam

You've had some great replies and I hope you can get your interest back or if not then a new passion or two to keep you motivated.

I'm 69 next March but view that as just a number as I certainly don't feel like it. I retired from my business a couple of years ago and whilst I certainly wouldn't go back it was a bit of a culture shock following a 6 - 7 day working week among loads of people to the quiet of a 2 person household where I can suddenly be able to watch breakfast news but after the initial few months of "holiday" I realized I needed purpose and threw myself at general woodwork and turning pens, that has now decreased significantly to the point where unless I have something specific or new and exciting to make I put it off and don't bother. What I did do though was decide to play more golf and I started fly fishing again and fly tying.
No doubt those pastimes will wane as well and I'll pick up my half finished carvings and marquetry or get around to making walking sticks. If non of that works I'll look for other interests, there are plenty out there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's far too easy to sit in a chair, watch daytime TV and slowly sink into a stupor from which it's difficult to recover. I've seen it happen so many times to other people and it's such a waste.

You have loads of experience and knowledge to offer and if you can't use it in the workshop offer that to others who don't!
Whatever you do I wish you well.

Bob

Yorkshire Sam":3s8fzgth said:
... although they don't do woodwork I shall definitely give them a go.

I am looking at Mens Shed and as I understand the setup, you can invite guys to your shed and maybe get them interested as well. There's nothing like good company!

Yesterday I went into my garage workshop and had a good clean up. Sorted and cleaned my tools, giving them my 'winterized anti rust treatment' and was pleased to see that I have no problems with them in the offing. Had to shift a few things out which didn't belong ( as wife said ... well you were not using it!) and empty a few bin and dust collections. Even had a few ideas come to mind while sorting my off cuts and timber ... and realised how much I had missed it. Got to thinking it seems an age since I visited my local woodyard! Oh hum!

Once again I want to thank all of you who took the time to offer advice and am pleased to say it seemed to have worked. Today I shall be back into the workshop resharpening and honing a few tools while thinking about my new to do list. Pleased to say things are looking up!

I joined Amersham Men's Shed about 12 months ago, and despite us only having a small workshop we have made a lot of items this year. The members have a broad mix of experience, we run a craft market stall most months to raise funds to keep us in consumables and new equipment. Most of us have a way to go to reach cabinet making standards but we enjoy doing what we do. We share the site with what is best described as a community farm so we get free range chickens and turkeys joining us if we don't watch out.

Yorkshire Sam":1xa3wdcc said:
Yesterday I went into my garage workshop and had a good clean up. Sorted and cleaned my tools, giving them my 'winterized anti rust treatment' and was pleased to see that I have no problems with them in the offing. Had to shift a few things out which didn't belong ( as wife said ... well you were not using it!) and empty a few bin and dust collections. Even had a few ideas come to mind while sorting my off cuts and timber ... and realised how much I had missed it. Got to thinking it seems an age since I visited my local woodyard! Oh hum!

Once again I want to thank all of you who took the time to offer advice and am pleased to say it seemed to have worked. Today I shall be back into the workshop resharpening and honing a few tools while thinking about my new to do list. Pleased to say things are looking up!

That's really good to hear :)
Maybe consider posting a pic of your first item on here for us?

That's great news Sam onwards and upwards.
If you're ever up my way, just north of Morpeth, give me a shout, the kettle is on permanently.

cheers
Bob

Yorkshire Sam":1f47q1lh said:
This is rather an odd one but I am hoping that someone here may be able to help.
I have only recently recovered from an illness and am working my way back into some kind of fitness. I am 70 years old and I have a small workshop in my garage where I used to spend many hours doodling, mainly with hand tools making small objects, boxes, toys, repairing, restoring, etc, more for the fun of doing it rather than for the finished object.
But it’s been quite sometime since I have attempted to do any woodwork, partly due to the illness but more because I seem to have lost any interest in doing it! I keep looking into my workshop but just can’t seem to raise the enthusiasm to start anything, even so I still log into UK Woodworking everyday. I don’t have anyone to pass the tools onto and I am reluctantly thinking of selling my tools rather than let them waste away in the garage.
Can anyone suggest a way to help me rekindle my love of working with wood or has it gone forever? Any suggestions would be welcomed.
I'm in the same situation - same age, same problems, same lack of enthusiasm. I'll be interested to see what this thread has to say.

Back