How do I calculate these angles?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....... The debate over drawing vs app is somewhat pointless.
No it isn't!
This thread is an example - the OP couldn't do the maths and didn't have the app. In fact I guess many people would be in the same boat.
Even if you have "the app" you still need to understand it and it might be the right one for your particular problem.
But the main point is that many problems are easily solved by simple graphical non-numerical methods at so many levels.
Just one example - dividers are really useful - I had to space out centre lines for equal sized panes of glass in 3x4 or 4x4 sash windows, 4x6 on one occasion. Dividers make it really easy and error free. Or for spacing DTs etc, endless uses.
Maths often fogs the brain and questions come up all the time, often with really simple non-mathematical solutions The maths behind cutting these bevels?

But precise calculation using the technology we have at our disposal is IMHO the right way to go,
In practice there may be easier and quicker routes. - there is no right or wrong.

Last edited:
Just spotted this: A look through Euclid’s Door
Sounds like geometry might be coming back into fashion!
Haven't seen the book but my first thoughts are that maybe the emphasis is too much on the tools and not enough on the power of geometry as a non-numerical calculator.
Do they mention roof geometry at all?
Be interested to see it, but not at £31.50 (nc P&P)!
PS this looks interesting Artisan Geometry – By Hand & Eye Online
I tend to ignore Lost Art Press etc as they make such a song and dance of everything, not to mention over-produced and expensive books!
PS more reading! Numbers Versus True..... Sections and Projections maybe some catching up to do!
Yes, but if it starts a ball rolling along a funicular curve to ditching complicated maths in carpentry and joinery, what's not to like?

Why write the above - it is clear that the capacity to construct pyramidal structures has existed for '000's of years. Historically methods were applied which were adequate in the context of then contemporary design and construction.
Im sure on stargate, the aliens built them 😆🤣

Latest posts

Back