How best to check for metal before sawing/planing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have some oak from an old porch that has been taken down. It has been there for years and years and years.

I want to saw it up and then send it through the planer to give me some useable boards - I am aware that it isn't going to be the best quality oak ever, but mostly I am interested in what I can get out of the piece I have.

The piece does have some screws in, which ovbiously I will remove. I am however aware that metals + table saw/bandsaw/planer = bad.

I was wondering whether I can use my stud finder (which does also have a 'metal detecting' option) to check the pieces for metal before machining. Is there any reason this is a silly idea, does anyone else do this?

Thanks!

A stud detector was my first thought too but check how sensitive it is first. You'll be better able to judge the provenance of the wood than anyone here but be mindful of the possibility of tiny bits of metal in there, e.g. broken off drawing pins or even staples from Christmas lights. It'll take time but it may be safer to sand back to wood and visually inspect before any edge tools come into contact with it.

A stud detector was my first thought too but check how sensitive it is first. You'll be better able to judge the provenance of the wood than anyone here but be mindful of the possibility of tiny bits of metal in there, e.g. broken off drawing pins or even staples from Christmas lights. It'll take time but it may be safer to sand back to wood and visually inspect before any edge tools come into contact with it.
Maybe the workflow should be:

1. Remove visible screws etc
2. Sand back to 40 grit.
3. Visually inspect again,
4. Stud detector
5. machine

I have had a Lumber Wizard for years having seen Norm Abram use one on The New Yankee Workshop. It is unclear whether these are currently available in the UK (and I am sure my model has been superseded), but it looks like the one here Lumber Wizard 5 Metal Detector with Auto-Tune

I use a lot of reclaimed timber and the Lumber Wizard has never failed me - it really does pick up little rusted splinters of old nails deeply embedded - of course, getting them out without destroying the piece of timber is always the challenge.

Cheers

You could also use a metal detecting pinpointer.
I have a Garrett Pro Pointer which I use when I'm out metal detecting, it even detects bits of rust scale left over in pallet wood. There's probably some used one's for sale on auction sites, but avoid the Chinese copies if you can.

I have the baby brother to scholer's Lumber Wizard 5, the Little Wizard II. Lumber Wizard Little Wizard II Metal Detector I don't use if very often primarily because I rarely mess with salvaged wood anymore. It does the job nicely but because of it's small size takes a while to check a lot of wood. It can find small bits of staple or the coil wire that breaks off nails from a nail gun if they are reasonably close to the surface. If doing lots then I would look to the bigger one.

Have you considered grabbing and running with the one the security guards use at the airport? 🏃‍♂️🤣

Pete

The Garrett wand detectors such as used at airport and building security are not overly expensive on ebay and will catch embedded screws and nails in rough timber that you'd miss on a visual inspection

Use old sacrificial blades in the planner and on the bandsaw even after you have checked and checked again and again.

You could also use a metal detecting pinpointer.
I have a Garrett Pro Pointer which I use when I'm out metal detecting, it even detects bits of rust scale left over in pallet wood. There's probably some used one's for sale on auction sites, but avoid the Chinese copies if you can.
One point to mention with pallet wood. It can also be embedded with small stones which get embedded during their use on gravel etc. I didn't find this out until I put some through my planer! ☹️

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back