hot melt glue guns - bulk offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to be heavy handed with stuff like this, which leads me to something like the tec as when the damn thing goes wrong it'll go wrong in the middle of something important, and the cheap ones will (probably) fail more often. There again I could buy cheap ones two at a time ...

I had a quite expensive Dremel glue gun, and it dripped non-stop, had slow flow rate, and eventually the trigger broke. I bought a much cheaper Bosch PKP18 as I read many good things about it, and it's astonishing the difference. Hardly any drip at all, and very nice to use. Some tools you don't want to go cheap, but I went for rubbish, and AFAICS, the Bosch is the mutts.

I had not idea the modern glue gun market was so wide, i have 2 glue guns, im still kicking it with an Old Bostik TG3 at work & the handy version at home, i bought them both in the 90's & they are going strong stil both survived my time at art collage & have since had weekly use since then... i dont even know if they are still made or the glue available? i somehow ended up with about 1000 glue sticks & am down to one box for the tg3

Don't use 11mm black polymer in a 12mm gun, they definitely blow hot glue back past the input end due to lower viscosity. A real mess to clean out as it involves taking the gun apart when hot. Translucent work OK as the hot glue is thicker. We use about 50 sticks a week, so not industrial, but far higher than normal domestic and many commercial applications. Hence me going for the Tec this time round, although the 810 looks a beast of a gun on YouTube. 305 is more akin to a standard heavy duty gun. Going for the 305 for home, see how it works and judge from three whether to go three hundred or eight hundred series for work.

Phil

Slightly off topic, but what do you guys use glue guns for? I have one but never really used it for woodwork, more for my wife and craft type applications. I'm just interested to know if I could be using it for something that I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainly for blanks to faceplates, to wooden sacrificial faceplates and gluing scrap to irregular pieces to run them through the bandsaw without their snatching. Useful also for gluing very small bits of valuable wood to wooden plugs in a chuck so as to work very nearly all of it. If I'm trying to get an exact screw mount on a faceplate for concentricity I tack it with hot melt so it doesn't drift while being drilled or screwed. Handy also for gluing a small piece I'm working on to a larger piece to put in a vice or drill stand vice. I've had one for years, but only recently realised how useful they are. I have small blocks of wood on my lathe and bandsaw to mount a clip LED light to stuck with it. When I need them off or somewhere else they just knock off (with the paint, sometimes).

Thanks Phil, I'd not considered using it for blanks, I'd be scared of the blank flying off. I'd did also wonder if a small amount might work for holding two pieces of wood together that required the same profile being cut out ie two curved ends of a book case etc. I thought it might leave to much of a mark or be too difficult to separate. Anyone use it for that or tried and had a horror?

For two pieces like that, use double sided tape.

I use my glue gun for all sorts of things. Turning is one, making templates, holding small pieces to larger pieces for bandsawing, attaching a large twisted or warped board to chipboard to use safely on table saw, or to saw a very thin piece I can't get push stick on, glue a board to flat board and run through thicknesser to get one flat side initially, levelling saw horses, butting smaller boards onto larger ones for track sawing or edge banding, holding things in place whilst making jigs or glue ups... many uses!

I just ordered a gun from: https://www.gluegunsdirect.com/shop/glu ... -glue-gun/ and received a call from Ian at the company to check that I wanted a European plug on it, as I am in the UK at the moment it seemed like an anomaly, whilst talking to him I mentioned I needed some clear/transparent sticks, "How many do you need" Ian asked "Only about 1/2 dozen" I explained what I wanted them for, sealing a polycarbonate crown guard and he said "I will throw a few samples in with your order" I am impressed to say the least, I will not look at ordering from anywhere else in future.

Mike

Stu - i suspect you'd more likely have a problem getting the blank off than you would it flying of. It's a conscious effort not to use too much and not to put it in an inaccessible place. It doesn't leave any trace if you are careful, and isopropyl alcohol softens it. You can also (I've just found) get a product to take it off. Yes, it would work just as well as double sided tape for your purpose - if you plan it properly, most of the glue would be on the waste. It's what I would do - but I've always got a glue gun handy ... and a two hour search for double sided tape. :D

Judicious use of a hot air gun can also weaken the glue sufficiently to allow de-bonding, and I do mean Judicious use to prevent burning with a bias towards the scrap timber not your work piece.

Mike

DiscoStu":25hq2ag1 said:
...... I'd not considered using it for blanks, I'd be scared of the blank flying off. ....

As long as you get the glue really bubbling hot you should not have any grip problems,
See this for example:-
post164198.html#p164198

Depending on what you intend to do with the turning, removal of the sacrificial blank may just be a case of turning it off when reversed.

Some great uses on here that I'd never have thought of. Oddly my glue gun is very handy and lives at one end of my bench. I even made a stand for it with a tile to catch any drips. So I really should use it more. I like the thicknesser idea.

I find it incredibly useful when I need to make the most of a natural edge or other feature to stick wedges, blocks or battens between the blank and a wooden faceplate (I don't have infinite faith in wood to metal joints, probably irrationally) to get the base for a dovetail or another sacrificial wooden base in exactly the right place and plane.

Ordered 11.15pm Monday, turned up at 4.20pm. Brilliant service Gluegunsdirect and DPD.

I'll have a play tomorrow ... after my hospital appointment in the morning ... and my appointment at a different hospital in the afternoon. Better than the alternative, I suppose. :cry:

A bit late to the conversation but I have the TEC 810 for woodworking and the low melt TEC 305 for craft stuff with the children. Both great glue guns and would also recommend the service from gluegunsdirect.

Cheers

Gidon

Back