Cheap slow wet grinder (Aldi, SIP, Clarke, Draper etc)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

There seems to be this cheap slow running water cooled grinder, sold under various brand names; Aldi, Lidl, SIP, Clarke, Draper.
Wet and Dry Bench Grinder.jpeg

It's actually a "Wet and Dry Bench Grinder", basically a normal high speed grinder with a slow wet wheel attached on one end. I'm really only interested in using the wet wheel, as a cheap version of a Tormek. And I don't need any blade holding jigs either.

But I've read a few reviews (from 5 years ago about the Draper version) where they said the slow wet wheel is driven by a plastic worm gear running off the main high speed shaft. And this plastic gear gets worn out quickly or just breaks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-78456-23 ... B000MPO8LU

Has anyone bought one recently, in particular the Aldi or Lidl version? Does it still have the plastic gear? Aldi has it at the moment for £30 and Lidl Ireland had it last week for £40. The other brands seem to be about £65 so the Aldi one is quite a bargain if it doesn't break down after a few uses.
I know the Aldi one comes with a 3 year guarantee.

Lidl version:
Parkside Wet & Dry Grinder 40gbp.jpg

Attachments

• Wet and Dry Bench Grinder.jpeg
    Wet and Dry Bench Grinder.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 6,099
  • Parkside Wet & Dry Grinder 40gbp.jpg
    Parkside Wet & Dry Grinder 40gbp.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 6,090
I've had one of those for a good few years: not Draper branded, but clearly the same machine. Never had any trouble with the gearing, although I rarely use the wet grinder. I use the dry wheel (having replaced the original wheel a good quality one) a lot however, for turning tools.

The wet wheel I have found disappointing because the plastic trough, which doubles as a tool rest is very flimsy, which makes accuracy nigh on impossible. I wouldn't be difficult to fabricate your own however and I suspect there is even a proprietory one on the market.

The other problem is the coarseness of the grit - too coarse in fact to be of any real use and a very strange choice since the machine already comes with a coarse dry wheel. Having done the heavy grinding on the dry, little refinement is possible on the wet wheel as it's just too coarse. I daresay a replacement can be obtained - probably costing as much as the machine itself.

All in all though, it's a cheap machine, still going strong after several years; so I've had my value for money from it.

I've had a clone of that for quite a few years.Quite happy with it,but I wish it had better tool rests.There is absolutely nothing to use as a tool rest on the wet wheel and the tiny rest for the high speed wheel is very limited.If the makers had spent a couple of quid on some small pieces of metal the Tormek would have been beaten.

Depends what you want. Had one a few years ago and gave it away as in my view it is a cheap step too far. Useless tool rests. Too much plastic. Not very good quality stones. Unfortunately Tormek T7 or even T4 is a lot more expensive. But also a lot better.

I've got a Clarke version of it and it seems ok. I'd echo the views above about the wet stone not being very fine. I tend to use the coarse wheel for my turning tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back