hot glue gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim1950

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have ago with glue chucks for turning some platers, can I have recommendations for hot glue guns please, all I've been told so far it a higher wattage to get the glue very hot is best.
Ones I've seen go from a few pounds to hundreds help please.

Last edited:
Used one of these at work, very robust did a good job.

glue gun.GIF

If covering a large area with glue and if the item you are attaching is a bit of a heat sink, try what we did and warm things up with a hot air gun first. We were sticking 3mm steel plate to car roof linings and in the winter the plate drew the heat out of the glue very quickly

If covering a large area with glue and if the item you are attaching is a bit of a heat sink, try what we did and warm things up with a hot air gun first. We were sticking 3mm steel plate to car roof linings and in the winter the plate drew the heat out of the glue very quickly
Love to know why you were doing that,

They are a head impact countermeasure for the federal market. When a head hits them it has to accelerate the mass which slowes down the head and reduces injury when the head contacts solid parts of the car body, if you just have the headlining it adsorbs very little energy before the full impact. FMVSS201U is the standard, bit of legislation left over from when most American states didn't require seat belts. Possibly the daftest tests I have ever run. Uses the rearmost point of the rubber seal securing the windscreen as a datum - I kid you not.

Just a thought - when you stick your blank put the hot melt around the circumference so you can heat it or chisel it off, or if you feel you need to get the glue under it get something to space the blank off the substrate so you can get a hot filling knife between them. I ruined a nice blank trying to part it from the waste wood because I couldn't get between them. IPA softens the stuff, as well.

Just a thought - when you stick your blank put the hot melt around the circumference so you can heat it or chisel it off, or if you feel you need to get the glue under it get something to space the blank off the substrate so you can get a hot filling knife between them. I ruined a nice blank trying to part it from the waste wood because I couldn't get between them. IPA softens the stuff, as well.
I'd been visiting this site for a while before I found out IPA was not Indian Pail Ale

I have used a hot glue gun to attach wood to a wooden faceplate. Just running glue around the outside diameter was enough to allow he turning of a foot to hold in the machine chuck. It was just a matter of sticking the piece in the microwave on full power for 30 seconds or so and the two pieces came apart quite easily with a bit of chisel/screwdriver to ease them apart.
Don W

Back