Holly Tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooper

Established Member
Reaction score
We have quite a big Holly tree at the front of the house. Its roots have damaged a drain's inspection pit and it is pushing over a rubble wall and that could be dangerous. It has also ruined our path several times. The trunk of the tree is substantial about 30 cm diameter for about 2 meters and the stems after it bifurcates are also quite thick. It is at least 50 years old and indeed may be much older. We may need to cut some big roots to sort the drain out and the wall problem may mean it has come down. I would like advice about what to do with the timber. There are lots of tree surgeons who work in our neighbourhood but mostly they chop trunks into manageable blocks. I had a Turkey Oak felled into 1.5meter lengths a few years ago and as I had a big trailer I was able to take it to a saw mill in Edenbridge where they slash cut it for me for £45. I no longer have a vehicle with a tow hook or the trailer and am at a loss what to do. Will the timber be any good? I know Holly is attractive and very white and unless the centre is rotten some nice boards could be cut. We would like to preserve it as it maintains our privacy but if it has to come down we don't want it wasted.
Thanks in anticipation for your usually excellent advice. We are located in Bromley South London.
Martin

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 30
I bought a quantity of Holly boards at an auction some years ago just to keep in stock. However most of it is not pristine white, a lot of it is looks dirty white which is probably why the previous owner got rid of it.
Are you intending to take it down yourself or get a tree surgeon? If the latter, see if he can offer anything beyond cutting it into rounds. It would be worth splitting a few samples as the tree comes down to a assess whether any is worth processing further.
Brian

Holly is a pain to dry and to maintain it as pearly white it needs cutting down at the right time of year and kilning quickly. You may get away with storing it vertically.

If you can get away with it not being super white, it is a nice carving and turning timber.

I remember hearing many years ago that it was a good idea to store it upright, so the sap drained down. A chap I knew had a small timber yard (and kept first class timber) - he said he had never succeeded in keeping it white.

My personal feeling is that unless you have the space, tools and skills to season and mill this yourself then the cost and logistics of dealing with the wood make it a non starter, I would just have the tree surgeon remove it. It does go against the grain to throw away nice and potentially valuable wood, but I think, realistically it is a better choice. Just my opinion

I know Holly is attractive and very white and unless the centre is rotten

Holly can be absolutely beautiful, very tight almost invisible grain, and one of the whitest timbers there is, no wonder it's prized for things like inlay, chess pieces, marquetry, etc.

The problem is getting this pristine timber is difficult to the point of impossibility. Freshly felled Holly is extremely susceptible to fungal infections that stains the timber muddy greens and blues. And this vulnerability persists until the moisture content is down to about 12-14%. In practical terms the only way of having even a fighting chance of getting really white boards is to fell the tree in the middle of a really hard frost when the sap is down and the fungal spores aren't present. It must be lifted from the ground immediately otherwise it'll pick up soil born contaminants. It then needs planking and accelerated drying, I know some people even disinfect the boards at this stage.

Even with all these precautions supplies of really white Holly have been very limited in recent years, there are lots of theories to explain this, ranging from global warming to particularly virulent strains of fungal spores, but I don't think anyone really knows. The bottom line however is that the professionals are struggling to convert Holly, so the odds of a domestic success aren't good.

On the other hand, as long as you don't chuck too much money at the scheme what have you got to loose? Even if it's horribly stained it still makes good firewood!

Good luck!

My view (and I like Holly wood) - trees add huge character to houses and should be kept when possible. Trim the roots to protect the drain, adjust the wall, and keep a beautiful evergreen tree.

Any branches about one inch thick make brilliant shanks for walking/hiking sticks. They need the bark taking off but as hard as iron once dry

Ensure that it is not subject to a TPO - tree preservation order. Need planning consent from local authority to cut back or fell.

The bottom line however is that the professionals are struggling to convert Holly, so the odds of a domestic success aren't good.

I remember being told a long time ago the way to keep it pearly white was to fell it, plank it and immediately steam it and then put it in a kiln.

Although not given to superstition I have always understood that it is "unlucky" to cut down a Holly tree. Of course there are situations where there is no choice but I have always tried to avoid it if possible. I have re planted several and they are quite slow growing but very satisfying when they do get going.

Back