Holdfasts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":21qv48qh said:
I would leave the hole at 20mm and see how you get on.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Errr...... yeah.... that's eggzactly what I meant. :---)

If the hole's too big for the tool, get a smaller hole and save disappointment and frustration.

FestoolFishy":c5gih35o said:
Hi just wondering if you might consider making them with a square rather than round leg ? Maybe they would not work in the same way, sadly my bench has square dog holes
One problem with a square-shank holdfast in a square hole that occurs to me is you'd be limited in the places the head of the holdfast could be rotated to. Round shank in round hole = 360° holding goodness. For the odd times I've needed to though, I found a round shank will go in a square dog hole, but it's not something I'd want to do often as it does tend to chew up the edges.

Paul Chapman":1as3uhbg said:
I doubt that 1-2mm would make much difference to the effectiveness of the holdfast. I would leave the hole at 20mm and see how you get on.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

studders":1as3uhbg said:
If the hole's too big for the tool, get a smaller hole and save disappointment and frustration.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try them at 20mm, and if that doesn't work too well I'll buy a box of 19mm holes. Thanks chaps :)

I'm also up for a pair so please put me down on the list. The revised price is fine by me.

Please don't forget little old me.........a pair will do just the job for my new bench.

Thanks Richard, looks like you will be very busy making all these holdfasts! (hammer)

All the best, Tony.

I'd like to be put down for a pair as well please. I only just stumbled onto this forum so am glad this got reposted.
Thank you

Can I be added to the list for a pair, please. Not sure how I missed them last time.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Richard,

I, too, would be happy to get a pair (despite the 20-mm-dog holes in my bench).

Postage for items below 2 kgs to the Continent is quite reasonable ("Small Packets").

Would be great if you could let me know the weight of a pair of your hold-fasts for sorting out the postage.

Best regards, Philipp

Richard T":tbdoracg said:
I don't know yet Aidan, I'll let you know when when I've made some to weigh. Shouldn't be too bad, I sent some to the Netherlands last time and that was much cheaper than I expected.

If I remember correctly, shipping to the Netherlands was about 12 pounds at the time for a pair.

Take

I would be obliged if you could put me down for a pair, my bench has 20mm holes but is 3.75" thick top , I’m sure they will hold ok, from all the excellent reports they will be well worth trying on my bench.

Richard T":2wqq7ny0 said:
I've been telling people that I couldn't do smaller numbers for less than £18 per pair and they have all been understanding and ok about that.

What was that about smaller numbers Richard? Have the numbers for this run exceeded your previous run yet. :lol:

Cheers, Vann. (hammer)

Hmmmm.... yers, quite a few now. Though not as many as last summer; I bought 130 feet of 18mm wire which made 45 pairs. I broke my hammer before I'd finished. Happy days. :D

Anyway, I'll count up the numbers and over - order the steel today so that I will (hopefully) have plenty in stock.

Re the question on the thickness of bench top in which they operate - my bench has a 4 1/2 thick top and I use Gramercy holdfasts in 3/4 inch holes. They would not hold in my top without some mods. I first tried what I had seen advised elsewhere which was to use coarse sandpaper to roughen the holdfasts (using the sandpaper in such a way as too create annular scratches). This worked OK but the same piece of advice went on to say that after a while it was necessary to roughen them again and again.. so the author of the suggestion said he wished he had counterbored his holes. I have done that and counterbored my holes to 1 inch diameter from the underside of the bench top to a depth of 1 1/2 inches thus leaving 3 inches for the holdfasts to work in - which they do, perfectly and without the need for roughening them.

I would like to have a pair, too, if shipping to Finland is reasonable, say, less than the pair.
Thanks

Back