Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great Chris - I've stopped worrying about whether they will work for so many different benches of different thicknesses, materials etc. - they seem to be more versatile than I envisaged.

Sorry Andy - you are just too late for this batch. I had 40' of 18mm bar last week. That translates to 14 pairs of holdfasts and I thought I would be safe for ages. Not so. I've sold 14 pairs in a week. :shock:

I will let you know when it is steel ordering time again.

Richard
thank you for the quick service,very pleased and shall be passing on mark's pair sometime in the next week.Used for the first time yesterday so easy and quick to use,
many thanks dave

Now then Mr T. The new 'evolution' holdfast you very kindly gave me to test:
hf1.jpg

So that's one tap with the smallish LV mallet top right, a board of ash... and a grinder approx 5Kg on the end.

The evolution bit is here, newer version at the top:
hf2.jpg

I was always delighted with the originals, but the very slight changes to the new one give even more grip with even less clout.

For anyone with a bench that is used to hold workpieces, these truly are a must.

(And they are still FAR too cheap Richard).

Quick user note - I have found over months the stem benefits from a quick wipe with fine steel wool or similar. They do not corrode but micro surface oxidation (my guess) can reduce grip a bit over time. A few seconds with the 4-0 and they are back to brilliant.

Attachments

• hf1.jpg
    hf1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 159
  • hf2.jpg
    hf2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 159
Now this is very interesting Douglas.

I built a new workbench recently. 3" thick Ash top. I had some offcuts and tested some holes. I was using some quite wide holes in my previous bench (which were already there). I tried the suggested 19mm hole and the holdfast certainly does grip and well, but there is a very small area of the foot that contacts the workpiece. I found this lead to a small dent in the workpiece. I have some leather to use as a pad for the foot. Yet to add.

I was considering if it would be better to have the foot at a less acute angle so the foot sits much flatter on the workpiece. Is this a new design then from Richard?

I was considering plopping one of mine in my fire to see if I could then bend it a bit to test some angles. Probably with the aid of a large vice. Would this be feasible Richard? Or no hope?

Hi Mick - re the popping in the fire... over to Richard. But on both these forms I still use scrap under and it is absolute normal practice to do that. Whilst the new tuning has a slightly flatter tip hence I guess a little more contact area I would never normally use it without scrap wood under... I think most leathers would be too soft as the pressure is immense.
I suspect the near-point contact at the tip is to load up the stem in its hole correctly, but I also suspect that tuning a holdfast so it's bang-on is maybe a black art!

btw - Chris Schwarz has a length of scrap timber on his holdfasts, hole one end that the holdfast goes through, and the other end is always there to sit between the workpiece and the holdfast. Struck me as a bit faffy but that is his solution.

The scrap idea sounds ideal. I've seen videos online of people using them directly on stock which I never understood. I'll try this and see how I get on.

Didn't want to go back to bigger holes as the 19mm holes are ideal for other things.

Back