Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alex 8 en,

Yes sure. Quite a few pairs have gone to Ireland.

Mick: The way I fine tune them is to tap them with a 2lb hammer, taking care to smack square on with the face of the hammer, on the edge (corner) of the anvil. If you can find a good enough block to use as an anvil held in a vice that is up to it, this should work - I trust that most members won't have a 2CWTer ... :)

A word of caution though, when striking cold like this always keep a very loose grip on the shaft of the holdfast - or a lot of that force will be transferred into your wrist.

I'll try to get some photos of the finer points of holdfast tuning and post them up here.

Thanks for posting Douglas - interesting tip with the wire wool. Re-enforces my contention of smooth is best.

Thanks, Richard.
If the price is right, as they say, I'll have a pair.
To save trawling through 22 pages and allowing for infaltion, have you a rough idea of cost at this stage?

All best

I'd also like to order a pair.
Please PM me when you want payment, I'm not allowed to send PMs yet.

/David

I think I have replied to (PM'd) all the outstanding orders to date. If you have already asked me for a pair and I have not PM'd you please let me know.

But that, Ladies and Gents, I'm afraid must be that. - I think that I must draw a line here. It's been a big and enjoyable learning curve to make holdfasts for the forum and I have been very pleased to offer them at a just over break - even price so that everyone could afford them and join in with the great experiment.

I think that the 'group buy' has just about run its course and it's time to take them out into the big wide world to see what they can do.
Thanks to everyone who has been so enthusiastic about them and shared your experiences of using them to help me to get it right.

Richard T":2pg3gkac said:
Thanks to everyone who has been so enthusiastic about them and shared your experiences of using them to help me to get it right.

Thanks for taking so much of your time to make them in the first place! The two I have rapidly turned into two of my favourite tools.

So does that mean you will no longer be making them or will you be making them at a cost more reasonable for yourself?

JakeS":2xn9tz86 said:
Thanks for taking so much of your time to make them in the first place! The two I have rapidly turned into two of my favourite tools.

+1

They are truly brilliant and I can't imagine working without them. Thank you Richard

Richard, mine have just arrived and I am absolutely made up with them, thank you. My mate really fancies a set, so please let us know when you have a new price. Thanks again and good luck with them.

Mine arrived today and were quickly whisked off to the shed before the misses could finish saying "whats that dear? another tool?"

Love the new design as well, cant wait to put them into action.

Many thanks again Richard!

Received my pair today too. Cheers Richard!

Bit of a noob question, but what is the best type of drill bit to drill through my bench (3" beech) - flat, forstner, auger, HSS?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Richard - I'd like to thank you for having had the chance to acquire this brilliant product at a special price; I'm sure it will be welcomed by a wider market, and I wish you every success. Thanks again - Chris

Back