Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James C":2jkynqke said:
So does that mean you will no longer be making them or will you be making them at a cost more reasonable for yourself?
Id like to get in the action at some point if still possible?

stubtoe":2ef7jzly said:
Received my pair today too. Cheers Richard!

Bit of a noob question, but what is the best type of drill bit to drill through my bench (3" beech) - flat, forstner, auger, HSS?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Have a look at this guy's no-nonsense approach to getting it straight, otherwise you can use any drill you want. It needs to be 3/4" diameter and I'd recomend an ordinary Jennings type auger, (last picture in the sequence).

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/?p=309

Very nice holdfasts indeed! Seems to work fine on my thin (38mm) workbench.
I'm thinking of glueing some leather on the soles for protection, are people doing that?

Hi David, I think most people just use a thin, scrap piece of wood for protection just as you would with a clamp. I have not tried gluing leather underneath but I have a feeling it wouldn't last too long with that sudden 'sit-down' - though I could be proved wrong ...

JamesC - I will still be making them and maybe for a company that has approached me about carrying them. When we have sorted out that price, I will not want to under cut them so .... we'll just have to wait and see what happens on price.

Stubtoe - hope your holes were a success? :)

wcndave - sorry, the last batch was the last of of the forum buy, but as I said above, when I have the market price worked out they will be available again.

Thanks for the info Richard. I think its great that you've got this opportunity and would be happy to pay for what is actually a premium artisan made item.

As people before have stated its about time you got what you deserve for them.

So...if Mrs Doyle were to say gwon ah ye will ye will ye will. As she does how long would you holdfast (hammer)

Richard T":2pnsco8g said:
I think most people just use a thin, scrap piece of wood for protection just as you would with a clamp.

Exactly this for me. I did try masking-taping a bit on originally but it soon worked its way off again - not sure whether it was the mallet-tapping or the weakness of masking tape that did it, though.

Richard T":3a15jzes said:
JamesC - I will still be making them and maybe for a company that has approached me about carrying them. When we have sorted out that price, I will not want to under cut them so .... we'll just have to wait and see what happens on price. .

Richard, I think you deserve a great big pat on the back. You have learnt how to reproduce an older piece of workshop equipment and refined the design until it works very well. This has aroused the interest of a, presumably, commercial retailer. Well done indeed. =D> =D>

xy

Richard T":2pr7dghb said:
JamesC - I will still be making them and maybe for a company that has approached me about carrying them. When we have sorted out that price, I will not want to under cut them so .... we'll just have to wait and see what happens on price.
I suspect I know who that'll be...but I'll say nowt :wink: :mrgreen: - Rob

I also got a pair of holdfasts in this last batch. I'm very happy with them. They work much better than my old, factory made ones.
Thanks!

One of my favourites Peter. I am fairly sure he is making the best benches in the World... but you need deep pockets for the big custom ones :(
I'll be watching the store develop as he has a firm grip on that certain Englishness... I would question the point of doing Veritas as it is well covered elsewhere already.
So who's buying the Aurious at £140 a pair I wonder. Tomes for me, every time. {Must feel odd Richard, seeing your name as a brand :wink: )

I haven't read it anywhere else on the forum, so I'm putting it here, in case others have also missed the sad news. I've just read on The English Woodworker blog, that Richard Tomes has passed away. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends. I only knew him through this forum, but always enjoyed what he had to say and I am glad to say that I own a pair of his superb holdfasts, which I use on a daily basis. Rest in peace Richard.

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/?p=2353

Edited

There is a condolences thread in General Chat (where I rarely go). I'll leave this post in case others are in the same boat.

Latest posts

Back