Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard T":2vawlgjv said:
DSC00364.jpg

Holdfast holding fast.

That looks really good, Richard 8)

If you go ahead with making them, I'd like a pair if I'm not too late.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

They look really good. I would also be interested in a pair.

Not sure what you had planned for the next few weeks, but looks like you could be busy!

Tom, I've not heard much from Merv recently, but can I take it that from what I've just been reading, I can pass a message to him to forget it?

Well, just got back from the holidays, if it's not too late, i'd be interested in a pair as well.

BTW, in Woodworking magazine, autumn 2005, it is mentioned that the ideal angle between shaft and pad of a holdfast is supposedly about 83 degrees.

Cheers, Take

Looks very good, Richard - lovely to see the how-to pics too. I'd probably sign up for a pair, but I'd really like to try my local fella (support your local craftsmen and so forth).

As to giving an opinion, I'd be delighted, but you want someone who has at least some experience of one or more other versions, I reckon - I've only used the Veritas up to this point, so I wouldn't be the right choice at all.

Excellent stuff! I too would like to confirm an order for two pairs dependant on testing.

I may never need four, but you never know. :D If the current price of £14 per pair plus postage changes please let me know.

Pete

Tony Spear":3vb29odh said:
Tom, I've not heard much from Merv recently, but can I take it that from what I've just been reading, I can pass a message to him to forget it?

Hi Tony

Yes please. He contacted me but I've not had a chance to reply yet.

Evenin'

I received Richard's holdfast in the post on Tuesday but today has been my first chance to have a play with it.

First impressions are good. It certainly does what it's supposed to. I found that it needs a slightly harder thwack to get it to stick. A rubber mallet worked best. I guess my only niggle with it would be that it can be a bit hard to release. My grammercy is still with my blacksmith, so I couldn't compare the two. But from memory, I think the grammercy has a bigger 'loop' or 'bend' so you can whack it easier on the straight bit. But this is only a small point. Essentially it does exactly what we need it to. It tested it on some 4mm mdf and it held it rock solid. Then some 14mm beech and planed it with no probs and I also tried it on some thicker 60mm stuff. When the timber starts going over about 40mm you need to pound on it more to fix it. Once it bites, it's rock solid.

Here's some pics.

DSC_2189.JPG

DSC_2193.JPG

DSC_2194.JPG

DSC_2196.JPG

I did find that it is more likely to dent the wood than the grammercy, but you'd always be using a spacer piece anyway:
DSC_2192.JPG

DSC_2190.JPG

DSC_2199.JPG

DSC_2201.JPG

Well Done Richard. This should keep you busy for a month or three... :lol:

So glad to see you got it Tom, I was just about to ask if it had turned up (should've been monday)

-Most important question - did you try it in a 2" hole? It is tuned to 2".

As for the bigger loop, I've been experimenting with that too. I think it could benifit from being a slightly bigger, higher loop. I was only put off this by the Gramercy picture which appears to be quite low ... maybe not?
Also with a higher loop it could hold much thinner stock; and, you're right, be released easier.
Of course what I could really do with is the Gramercy to have a look at and play with; or at least some accurate arial reconnosence photos. ...

Looking good Richard and Tom.

I had wondered if the foot would benefit from a slight upturn at the end, and seeing the denting on the workpiece wonder if it may reduce that by taking away the possibility of the end of the toe digging in to the workpiece ?

Or maybe it's not the end of the toe digging in that's the problem, possibly with an increased loop and less setting required it may need less pressure on the workpiece while still holding it frimly ?

Cheers, Paul :D

The trouble with the larger loop, or so I gather, is it can then sometimes get in the way in use. fwiw, there's been some useful discussion on the holdfasts on the Old Tools List in the last week, this thread probably being the most interesting. I've linked to Tom Holloway's post in the thread 'cos you might like to follow up the link to see what their holdfasts look like.

'Scuse my hignorance but as a non hand tool user (apart from emergencies!)
and I don't even have a bench with a vice but ...

I wonder under what circumstances these holdfasts would be used. My thinking is that combinations of vices and dogs cover most workholding needs I can think of.

Curious of Romsey

Bob

Gone a bit quiet on this last week or so, any news/plans ?

Bob, it's more toys, since when has need got to do with anything :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

After a very long week/fortnight in which all things horrible happened at once, I've finally been back in the forge today.
I spent a good long time getting a template example dead right, then made a few to its spec. by eye and they all work. Other innovations in holdfast production methods will no doubt follow with the best ones, inevitably, somewhere near the end of the run.
I will charge SWMOM with the task of sussing the best payment, p&p method and pretty soon we'll be up and running.

9fingers":eojpvk0z said:
'Scuse my hignorance but as a non hand tool user (apart from emergencies!)
and I don't even have a bench with a vice but ...

I wonder under what circumstances these holdfasts would be used. My thinking is that combinations of vices and dogs cover most workholding needs I can think of.

Curious of Romsey

Bob

I'm by no means an expert on this as I'm fairly new to working with wood but going on what I've read and the little experience that I've acquired I would suggest that holdfasts would be used in a variety of situations including any you might use a G cramp for but have no available space to secure it, ie. in the centre of your workbench. For example, a holdfast would be a more secure way of holding a piece of timber set on its side for, say, morticing where you need the piece supported underneath as well as secured adequately to prevent it from moving/falling over.

Latest posts

Back