Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TJA - Twas a bit mad in the post office yesterday but we did manage to find out that one pair would cost £12.60 by land but would be cheaper; £11.10 by airmail.
Maybe next time we're there when it's less crazy, ie NOT pension day, we will find out how much for two pairs.

Well, I can now report the safe arrival of a lumpy jiffybag containing two very nice holdfasts. I've had a quick go with them. My bench is a far from lovely thing - I built it from salvaged kitchen worktop as a quick job when we moved into the house 20 years ago - but it does have some randomly placed 3/4" holes drilled to fit the plastic dogs from a Workmate.

The holdfasts work perfectly in these, firmly gripping thin or thick wood. They lock up really nice and solid, but release immediately when tapped on the back. Perfect!

Thanks again, Richard, for filling this long felt want so skilfully and pleasantly. I wish you every success in your blacksmithing and your woodwork!

Mine arrived safely this morning - I've only had ten minutes to have a quick go before work, but they work perfectly.

The only holes I currently have on my bench are above the skirts at the front, which makes the hole 5 inches deep and they still hold down very securely.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reports folks. Good to know that (so far) there are no escapees ....
jt - 5" deep hole? Blimey, I never would have thunk it.

I received mine this morning. They look the business but I've yet to drill any dog holes so my first tests will have to wait a while.

Thanks again Richard.

Pete

The postman delivered mine a short while ago :D They are beautifully made. I've tried them out and they are so easy to set and release. I can see these are going to get a lot of use :D

You've done a cracking job, Richard 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Richard,

Mine arrived this morning and I'm delighted. They look great and I am looking forward to using them.

Many thanks for this super work and service,

Brendan.

Richard

Mine arrived too - many thanks.
Still in the Jiffy bag as I have been out all day - but they feel heavy! :)

Rod

Quick question please.

What size hole do I drill please? I've been through the thread again and found 18mm, 19mm and 3/4". I suppose it's not that critical but I might as well drill the optimum size.

Thanks,
Brendan.

Why am I seeing no pics...? :-s

Bearded the local smith in his den this morning - at last - and am slightly doubtful if anything's going to come of it. But we'll see. Gonna cost me more*, dammit, so if it doesn't I don't think I'll be crying too hard.

*Buy locally but at a price seems to extend to everything. :(

Oooh, sorry to hear that Alf - but I don't think it's the localness, I think it's the one-offness.
I can only charge what I'm charging because of the guarenteed sales and the production line I can set up for the duration. Also I spent a lot of time working it out, made a few prototypes etc - so if I had been only commisioned for one pair it would have been a hell of a lot of working time proportionally.
Still, if he gets the angles wrong, being local, it shouldn't be much of a stretch to poke him with a broom or something til he gets it right.
Best wishes,
Unbearded

Arrived today Richard, very effective indeed, good job and many, many thanks for taking this on.

Cheers, Paul :D

Got mines too Richard-excellent workmanship,

Father Dougal: Ahh, let's see, I'll have the Hindu curry, steak and chips, and a glass of coke, thanks.

Policeman: Do you know where you are? You're in a police station.

Father Dougal: Oh right. Well, in that case, I'll just have the Satay Chicken

Back