Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds sensible and encouraging, Richard - "I'm in!"

Postage should be only about £6 - you could look at the on-line courier clearing houses aimed at ebay, for instance - which would give you the option of having them collected from you, rather than overwhelming your local post office!

What about payment?

Cheque in the post, in advance? Paypal?

Well done that man! I think the price is excellent. Paypal is very easy to do and I've used Parcel2go and was impressed with them. I'd be up for two pairs.

I think that I need to hear from Tom what the situation is with his chap and some price comparrison before I go charging ahead. But thanks for the encouragement folks.
Also there is still a bit of tweaking to be done - I only made a prototype this morning having never seen or used one before.... eg: I very carefully made the sole of the foot square to the shaft. Wrong!! The sole of the foot has to sit flat on the job when the shaft is slightly diaganally wedged in the hole. Also, I think that mine has a slightly sharper main angle than the Gramercy so I shall either change the one I have or make the next one slightly more and compare them.
Then of course, I have to order steel ..... wait for steel... :roll:

I was thinking that in the meantime maybe some kind of pass-around might be organised with a prototype? (I get the suspision that something similar may have happened around here before) Or maybe one might find its way to a gathering etc

I think that swmom is better suited to sorting out payment methods .. (as well as taking photos) I'm doing the hammering.
Some interesting carriage ideas too. We'll look into them.

John O'Leary: What can we do for you Father?
Dougal: I was looking for a pair of handcuffs actually.
John: A pair of handcuffs? What do you need them for?
Dougal: Oh nothing much, they're for me and Ted.
Mary: You and Father Ted?
Dougal: Yeah, we're just trying something out.
John: Well emm, actually, funnily enough we do have a pair. Sergeant Thornton left them here when he retired.
Dougal: Retired from what?
John: From the police.
Dougal: The police? Was Sergeant Thornton a policeman?
John: Emm, he was yes. Why do you think he wore the uniform?
Dougal: Oh I thought he was just having a laugh.
John: Anyway here's the handcuffs.
Dougal: Great, bye now.

Blimey, up to 72 already and I don't even know if I'm doing it. :eek:

Ted: You over reacted there Dougal; when he asked me where I was when Kennedy was shot, he wasn't trying to accuse me of anything.

Richard T":2rq0fzv7 said:
Blimey, up to 72 already and I don't even know if I'm doing it. :eek:

Ted: You over reacted there Dougal; when he asked me where I was when Kennedy was shot, he wasn't trying to accuse me of anything.

I cannot speak for the man, but I am sure that at that price Tom will have no objections to you making them :wink:

As for the hand around I think the cost of postage may preclude this, but I for one would be happy to take the word of one or two members who may happen to get their hands on some.

Cheers

Mike

All yours Richard. I was only trying to help everyone. If we have a resident blacksmith then it just doesn't make sense to 'outsource' it. I'd be happy to road test your design to make sure it pasts muster.

Richard, before you order stock. It might be an idea to get a 2nd opinion on the end product. Could you send the holdfast to either myself or someone else on the board and we could offer our opinion on how they compare to 'the real thing'.

Just a suggestion. I'm also still waiting for the prototype from the smith I contacted, so I could compare the strengths and weaknesses of both designs and possibly get some tips on how the other guy did it.

Let me know what you think.

wizer":wuwj7n8l said:
Richard, before you order stock. It might be an idea to get a 2nd opinion on the end product. Could you send the holdfast to either myself or someone else on the board and we could offer our opinion on how they compare to 'the real thing'.

Just a suggestion. I'm also still waiting for the prototype from the smith I contacted, so I could compare the strengths and weaknesses of both designs and possibly get some tips on how the other guy did it.

Let me know what you think.

Tom have you asked any of the members over at the Haven? Might as well get Richard as big an order as we can :D

Cheers

Mike

Hi.

At £14 per pair plus postage I too would like to up my order to two pairs.

I also agree that a pass round those in the know would be a good thing. (I'm not included in that list!)

Thanks

Pete

Ok. I'll make another one with a wider angle, tweak the first one and send the better to Tom. (after he sends me his address...)

Am I right in thinking that the most common Diameter of hole that people already have for other hold down tools is 3/4" / 19mm?
Certainly all the pro tools I;ve been looking at seem to cater for that size. (Veritas etc.)
If so, I recon the best dmtr of steel to use is going to be 18mm. (18.2 doesn't seem to exist as drawn)

Also is the depth of hole likely to vary wildly? I ask this as, after another day of messing about with them, I think I have discovered the optimum angle of foot. Unfortunately this can only be seen to be right (or not) when the holdfast is put through the hole that is its intended destination and its foot sits on a flat piece of wood.
If it's right, the toe touches first with the tiniest wedge of light visible widening toward the heel. Then when tapped down the gap dissapears and there is the most glorious cramp up - really solid. AND, for reasons beyond my understanding, it's easier to release too.
If everyones width and depth were the same I could make everyone the perfect tool that works out of the box - but as it is I guess it will be the same as just about any other tool; it may have to be fettled.
If we could come up with an average of hole depth that would certainly help.

Latest posts

Back