Holdfast Group Buy - May have found a UK Blacksmith

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic i posted a while ago........the angle was set by drilling a block the same thickness as my bench and setting accordingly, this angle is therefore slightly dependent on bench thickness however just over 90 is how mine are.

saw.jpg

Hey squid, thanks for that. They look nice. Any reason for the differing lengths other than deeper work holding capacity? Are they still effective at full depth?

If this blacksmith that I've contacted is happy to go ahead then I'll make up a mini bench raiser type thing and take it down so we can play with angles.

That knife looks interesting? Made by the same smithy?

The different lengths are slightly down to the amount of bar available on the day,one of the long ones is a jack handle from the hedge in his garden! The other reason is that the two shorter ones i use in my sliding deadman, these are harder to set as the deadman is a little slack.The cheese knife is made by another metalman who only uses recycled metal and the blade is from an old saw and keeps a very fine edge. My holdfasts seem to grip full length.Hope this helps.

jasper010.jpg

Thanks squib. Sorry for so many questions.

That's a great bench!

Tony Spear":1qjyqkp4 said:
BB:

If you do happen to run into difficulties with all this I have a mate who's a member of the Worshipful Company of Master Blacksmiths who may be able to help.

He actually lives near Reigate, but if that's too far, I'm sure he could put you in the right direction for somebody nearer.

Apparently, when a Blacksmith needs 3 hands, he uses a bent piece of metal, one end of which is belted into a hole in his anvil.

And guesss what it's called??????

When I build my new bench, I know where my Holdfasts will come from....... :D :D

Tom, check your PM's.

I was about to make a further comment but I've just realised that we're getting into LN v. Clifton type territory now, so I'll stick with wjhat I've already said..... :?

The legs and top are/were greenish chestnut the side spreaders are oak and the vice, deadman and rail are sycamore.The design was inspired by one found on the sunken warship Vasa, built and sunk 1628!
here is a pic, i have taken the crotchet by the vice off mine as i find it gets in the way most of the time.

Vasa_Bench.jpg

I've only just noticed this thread ... a bit embarassing - it's a pretty simple job compared to the heavy duty gothic towel rail brackets I've just finished.
I just looked at the Gramercy page and they say
"made of modern formed wire, in a modern factory."
I would guess they mean drawn bright mild steel. In fact I'm sure they do.
They also say that they are designed for a 3/4" bench hole. If it's not a too personal question, are everyones holes the same size? I need to order some more bar soon anyway, so I could add extra round stock of the right size.
If I get round to lighting the forge today I'll have a play with making one for the anvil (I've been using a big, screw-down clamp through the hardy hole up until now) I'll have a play around, get a feel of how it works and let you know.

Hi Richard. I take it that you are a blacksmith then? Could you let me know ASAP whether you can do them and if you're willing to do them for us as a group buy. As I'll need to cancel the blacksmith I found who is looking into this for us.

Tom, go ahead with your guy if you've already set the wheels in motion. I don't want to mess anyone about.
As I said, tis a pity I didn't notice this thread earlier.
However, I will have a go at making one today - just to see if it works.
Turns out the round (pritchel) hole in my anvil is conveniently 3/4" so my prototype should be right viz copying the Gramercy patern. And I have about 4' of 5/8" bar to try.
Of course if I were to make enough for the group I'd need to order some round bar - which I certainly could with the next order.
So really I'm just a plan B if needs be.

Ok well either way your findings will be very useful. Please let us know how you get on. My blacksmith isn't a woodworker and it's hard explaining exactly what it needs to do.

Well that was pretty quick and easy.
What it amounts to is flattening the end of the bar, bending it twice and cutting it off. Errm ... that's it. I suppose that the underside of the foot that makes contact with the job could be cleaned up and polished but again, that's no major job.
If anyone was wondering why there is a dimple at the front of the Garmercy it's where it was bent over the corner of the anvil - mine has one too.

Sorry I can't take photos yet, (my camera girl is attending to family crisis over in Felixstow) but will supply asap.

What diameter bar did you use and could you supply them to the masses? Price?

I used 5/8".
I just drilled a 3/4" hole in a bench-thick piece of pine and it really works well. I've never had one of these to play with before - they're good aren't they? :eek:
To supply the masses, I would need to buy some stock - don't know off hand how much 5/8 bar would be but when I bought the last lot of square bar stock I seem to remember it not being too extortionate.
Gramercy want $31.95 per pair - how much is that in feet and inches these days? What ever it is I'm sure I could do it for less. Postage, on the other hand could be narsty....

Right, lots of things to think ahead on.
I've counted how many there has been an interest expressed for so far on this thread - I make it poss 64 :shock: so buying enough bar for that many would be quite a purchase.
I think if I were to attempt that many I'd make a jig for flattening the foot so they look nice and professional like the machine stamped Gramercy ones - also they could probably do with being wire bushed, maybe not quite as shiny but enough to get an even finish, free of scale to lock and unlock smoothly.
And having said that the underside of the foot could be polished, after playing with the one I made this morning all day, I think it would be better just brushed too - I can easily tap it hard enough to make an impression polished or not.
Gramercy want $31.95 Per pair which (today) is apparently £20.40.
All in all I think If I were to make these to sell generally I'd ask £16 per pair as I might not sell many or often, but as it's you lot, how about £14?
Comments please on whether you think this is good, bad or outrageous.
I don't know how much postage would be - not that it's going to be anything like from the USA - but it's still not going to be pretty, it's heavy stuff.

As for the twiddly leaf forms, I really think that as well as taking me longer to make, alot of strength and firmness could be lost; besides I think they look good as they are.
Thoughts? Ideas? Abuse?

One of the cheapest carriers is parcel-2-go.
It depends a bit on size but around £8 inc vat is typical for upto about 20Kg.
One nice thing is that the recipient can initiate the process and pay the costs just emailing a special label to the sender.
So you would just need to cover the manufacturing cost and some packaging if you wanted to do it that way.

hth

Bob

Latest posts

Back