Hoffmann MU2 beaded face frame advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new on here so hi to all.

Just purchased a used Hoffmann dovetail key machine, looked through the manual & don't seem to be able find any info on how to rout out the haunched upright. The frames that I am trying to join are moulded with a cock bead moulding, the uprights i have haunched & the cross rails I have mitred, it is just the routing that I am having problems with.
Do I need to purchase a larger dovetail cutter? The dovetail keys that came with the machine are W2s
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I think the problem may be that you need an extra attachement which is specifically for beaded frames. It's a pair of metal stops which screw to the fence either side of the cutter. These locate the frame piece with the notch centrally to the cutter for routing and then act as a stop when cutting the end grain. The cutter has to protrude by the same depth as the bead (ours is 9mm) so sticks out 9mm further than for frames with no bead.

Because you have to change the setup between beaded and straight frames, we made a 9mm mdf false fence which we could add on and then the machine could be used for straight and beaded without changing the setup. This probably won't make sense until you are setup with the beaded attachment.

W2 are the biggest keys you can use for beaded frames as the larger cutters protrude too far and hit the machine body. I think w2 is too small so You can use w3 keys by drilling away a bit of the aluminium. This will also make sense when you try it.

Most of this probably doesn't make much sense without seeing it but call hoffman uk and they will have the attachments in stock, also ask for the separate manual to use for setting up the machine for beaded frames.

Thanks for the heads up on this.
I did think that there must be something that I had to add to the machine, but I've looked at Hoffmamn videos and been through the instructions & could not find anything on the matter. The videos show the beaded front frame but it dissent give any detail on how it is achieved.
The bead that we are going to use is 11mm.
But yes totally understand your description.
I will call them tomorrow.
Thanks again for the advice.

Latest posts

Back