Hobbyist wood suppliers in or around Reading- Berkshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foggy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Best wishes for the New Year.

Just started investigating my potential new hobby. I think I have sorted what tools I am going to buy and then the thought just occurred to me I had better find somewhere to buy my raw materials.

I was very surprised, how difficult it appears to be to buy cabinet grade plywood. My first project is going to be some bedroom cabinets and I was under the initial assumption that I would just find somewhere to buy 18/19mm pre finished veneered (Maple) plywood together with a cutting service, so that I could just transport it in the boot of my car. After Googling this appears to be more difficult than I thought.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably local supplier that could offer (Veneered) wood & cutting service in or around Reading in Berkshire?

Best wishes.

Hi Foggy and welcome to the forum.

I have heard others in the area mention Arnold Lavers which is in your neck of the woods I think and may have what you need ?

Cheers, Paul

Thank you Paul.

It appears they can offer B/B Birch plywood and cutting, but not veneered.
I will go and have a look in any event - so thank you.

Best wishes.

Hi Foggy

I'm in Eversley. Arnold Laver is my place of choice for sawn and PAR hardwoods as well as construction softwoods. They stock (rough sawn) oak, maple, Iroko, Sapele, US Black walnut, and various others. Very handy.

They also have an offcuts bin where damaged stock goes (never less than a metre in length) and that is fabulous for getting hold of inexpensive stock for smaller projects.

The last time I was there I had a look round their man made boards room and it had all the usual suspects in 8x4 veneer sheets....US black walnut, cherry, maple, sapele, Baltic birch etc etc so I'm a bit confused that you're saying they have no veneer'd boards??

Mmm...thinking about it...they're probably veneers over mdf rather than ply. I'd take a drive out there if I were you. It's a great place and if the mdf is medite quality then you can use it for cabinet making anyway...not cheap though!

Many thanks Bob,

Yes, they mentioned veneered mdf. I am going to wonder over this Friday afternoon and have a look.

thank you for your comments.

Best Wishes.

Latest posts

Back