Hi first post need help with a project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodfarmer":32yox1wx said:
flh801978":32yox1wx said:
Slightly off topic but how are you going to spin a 3000 watt generator with a 187.5 watt motor?

or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick

Ian

You beat me to it :)

we will get there in the end

12V power inverter converts 12v DC to 240v AC from a battery bank

JonnBoy":1mj6uo5r said:
flh801978":1mj6uo5r said:
Slightly off topic but how are you going to spin a 3000 watt generator with a 187.5 watt motor?

or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick

Ian

Hi Ian

what we have is a large battery bank to run 3kw inverter pure sine wave at night

we use solar Panel during the day but the charger to re charge the battery's is around 1.5kw then steps down when battery's are charged and move to float

the motor is going to power a high output 12v alternator 215amps regulated this will help keep the battery's topped up well

so the idea is at night we can run small items fine from battery bank the motor low wattage will run the alternator if we need to say run a washing machine / dishwasher / pre heater 2k for are hot water into are combi boiler when we get round to doing it

are electric bill has dropped loads already just getting it more sorted for the winter so my son is doing a project at school re saving energy and how to get more Eco at home gets him off the X Box for a while lol

Hope this will help

it's a Power Inverter 12V DC that converts to 240V AC 3Kw max runs from a battery bank for night time use

I understand inverters and all but why are you connecting a weedy little motor to attempt to generate a 16 fold increase in power ?

Or are you attempting to get something for nothing ?

flh801978":tf0jei23 said:
I understand inverters and all but why are you connecting a weedy little motor to attempt to generate a 16 fold increase in power ?

Or are you attempting to get something for nothing ?

the motor will be run from the mains it is not going to be running all the time it will be on a timer at night plus an over ride at night when needed in the winter
during the day when it all swaps over to solar power which is working very well the motor will not be used but i will have topped up the bank at night so the charger i have for the day will not have to be on so long and eat even more AC power than the motor so it will work out cheaper

we have had it all working but used a DC motor just to see if it all worked but it just ate the second battery we had

so the simple 2 pole motor will spin at around 2900 rpm will be more than enough to run a simple car alternator i only need around 1500rpm and it will work fine it is not like a normal car alternator this one put out more regulated amps at a slower rpm

sorry Mods for going off topic on this site

just need to marry wheel to motor will get there

So just to get this straight

you are powering a ac motor from the mains/national grid? to convert good electricity into mechanical energy ( with all its attendant losses )
Then via a belt drive ( with all its attendant losses )
To drive a alternator/generator ( with huge losses )
To charge a battery?

then convert the dc from your battery back to ac 240 ( with huge losses) to run whatever you want?

this is besides the fact that you seem to think that driving a 4 hp generator with a 1/4 hp motor is going to work

Ian

flh801978":2vp9399h said:
So just to get this straight

you are powering a ac motor from the mains/national grid? to convert good electricity into mechanical energy ( with all its attendant losses )
Then via a belt drive ( with all its attendant losses )
To drive a alternator/generator ( with huge losses )
To charge a battery?

this is besides the fact that you seem to think that driving a 4 hp generator with a 1/4 hp motor is going to work

Ian

Ian not a battery that would be crazy

where are you getting this from 4 hp generator

well then to drive your high load stuff washing machine using your battery bank as a floating supply/smoother

you said you were driving a 3000 w generator from a 1/4hp motor ( 3000watts is about 4 hp )

flh801978":10dctm38 said:
well then to drive your high load stuff washing machine using your battery bank as a floating supply/smoother

you said you were driving a 3000 w generator from a 1/4hp motor ( 3000watts is about 4 hp )

a power inverter not a generator i do not have a generator

looks a bit like this http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... 15LBuw.jpg

Sounds like the op has invented the mythical perpetual motion here, (in two ways) going round in ever decreasing circles.

flh801978":1i9efpao said:
John boy whats the alternator if not a generator?

and the picture you have linked to is an alternator not an inverter in the accepted use of the word

the photo is what the motor is going to spin

my battery bank is big and is more than capable to run the Power inverter

all the alternator is going to do is top up the batteries at night if i need to put them under load as it is all regulated will never need the 215amps at one time it is not a normal alternator you find theses on ice cream vans or major in car hi fi installs

bit like this but my battery bank it a lot bigger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmCHU5x-oPo this is major over kill
i only need one

this is a photo of a 3Kw built in charger http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Inverter- ... B009NEY6R2
it is a bit like this one i have for night time use has been working very well
i think we have are wires crossed along the way

I'm still failing to see what you are trying to do

You have a small 1/4 hp motor which will run on mains electricity ( which you are paying for)?
You will attempt to drive the alternator with this to generate electricity to run a washing machine or heavy load when theres no sunshine ?

why not use the electricity ( from the mains ) to run the load far more efficiently than going through motors and belts and converters?

If you want to get 215 amps @12v out of the alternator you need to put in ,in excess of 14.5 amps @240v to a motor to turn the alternator ( with your attendant losses )

flh801978":2vpi62f3 said:

You have a small 1/4 hp motor which will run on mains electricity ( which you are paying for)?
You will attempt to drive the alternator with this to generate electricity to run a washing machine or heavy load when theres no sunshine ?

why not use the electricity ( from the mains ) to run the load far more efficiently than going through motors and belts and converters?

If you want to get 215 amps @12v out of the alternator you need to put in ,in excess of 14.5 amps @240v to a motor to turn the alternator ( with your attendant losses )

you are still missing the point i have a large battery bank that works fine
this is just an add on
all i have stated it is a regulated 215amp alternator when it is used does not mean i will need this amount of amps maybe 50 60 or 70 + it will there when i need it so my 185w motor will be cheaper to run than the washing machine for 30mins or more

you will be glad that i will have my spacer soon with thanks to the members of this site and would like to thank the posting of the web sites have ordered other bits that could not find some collar rings

it's 19.37pm now and have only used 39p on electric for the hole day not bad all white goods have been used supplemented from my Grid inverter sun will drop out inverter just after 9pm then 9.30pm we swap to 12v sine wave inverter and it all starts again not bad for DIY self build

i did ask the Mrs how about a 12v camping kettle that did not go down to well (hammer) (hammer)

JonnBoy":rw9rysns said:
flh801978":rw9rysns said:

you are still missing the point i have a large battery bank that works fine
this is just an add on
all i have stated it is a regulated 215amp alternator when it is used does not mean i will need this amount of amps maybe 50 60 or 70 + it will there when i need it so my 185w motor will be cheaper to run than the washing machine for 30mins or more

you will be glad that i will have my spacer soon with thanks to the members of this site and would like to thank the posting of the web sites have ordered other bits that could not find some collar rings

it's 19.37pm now and have only used 39p on electric for the hole day not bad all white goods have been used supplemented from my Grid inverter sun will drop out inverter just after 9pm then 9.30pm we swap to 12v sine wave inverter and it all starts again not bad for DIY self build

i did ask the Mrs how about a 12v camping kettle that did not go down to well (hammer) (hammer)

this is a basic view how the solar works during the day

http://www.sa12energyservices.co.uk/ima ... -large.jpg

this shows how my system works but i use the solar panels to run the grid inverter which runs the charger during the day

http://www.mother-earth-solar.com/image ... system.jpg

the alternator is only a top up to the battery bank hope this will help what i have done at home

met one of the forum members today thank you so much for your help

will try and get the alternator running soon

Chrispy":11vlt6gu said:
Sounds like the op has invented the mythical perpetual motion here, (in two ways) going round in ever decreasing circles.

motor and extra battery bank to fit up arrives in 2 days

then join it all up and see what i get

:D :D

JonnBoy":nxdhzbml said:
Chrispy":nxdhzbml said:

motor and extra battery bank to fit up arrives in 2 days

then join it all up and see what i get

:D :D

motor her have gone for 1/3hp @250w my machined part is fitted wheel is very tight and spins very true need to get a new drive belt as the one i have was in a box and now has a slight kink in it just got one from ebay £3.49 posted

but have had it running around 3200rmp with no struggle at all even with the exciter wire connected to make the magnetic field work plenty of power to drive will find some time hope over the week end to get the motor bolted down

many thank's to the members of this site for all your help and making my part for me

i will try when all running to post a vid on youtube so you can see what i have done having the extra 2 x 125a battery's extra i have now 750amp i will increase 1000amp near winter

regards John

Back