Hi first post need help with a project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

i need some advice my son is doing a small eco project at school and we need a part made could any one steer us in the right way

what we are going to use is a A/C Motor with an 11mm O/D shaft we want to marry it up with a pulley wheel which has an I/D hole of 17mm

the motor has a key cut out

we intend to buy both parts from ebay can supply numbers of items if that helps

so looking if any one could help we are in Croydon Surrey

regards JB :)

JonnBoy":3nf9h8yc said:
Hi Chaps

i need some advice my son is doing a small eco project at school and we need a part made could any one steer us in the right way

what we are going to use is a A/C Motor with an 11mm O/D shaft we want to marry it up with a pulley wheel which has an I/D hole of 17mm

the motor has a key cut out

we intend to buy both parts from ebay can supply numbers of items if that helps

so looking if any one could help we are in Croydon Surrey

regards JB :)

has to be 11mm for the motor shaft hoping to find someone with a lathe that might be able to make it

:shock: 0.1 of a mm too big ? I would imagine a bit of glue or threadlock would be that thick.
I also suspect that low cost parts (if thats what you are looking at) from ebay will probably not be exactly 11.00mm or 17.00mm , but I am only guessing.

alternatively cut the bush on one side lengthwise with a hacksaw , it should then squeeze into the 17 and over the 11.

good luck with the project.

nev":pee44a6w said:
:shock: 0.1 of a mm too big ? I would imagine a bit of glue or threadlock would be that thick.
I also suspect that low cost parts (if thats what you are looking at) from ebay will probably not be exactly 11.00mm or 17.00mm , but I am only guessing.

alternatively cut the bush on one side lengthwise with a hacksaw , it should then squeeze into the 17 and over the 11.

good luck with the project.

do i have to post a few times to PM back ?

what we have is a 1/4 HP motor with a 11mm O/D shaft
the pulley wheel is an Alternator 6 Groove Pulley 80mm Dia 17mm I/D hole so we need to marry both together if i can get something lathed i can JB weld the wheel to the made part

what we are going to spin is a very high output 12v alternator 215 amps with a pulley wheel of 56mm O/D

JB :)

nev":3forv74s said:
JonnBoy":3forv74s said:
do i have to post a few times to PM back ?

yes. 3 so you should be good to go now.

Your school project is somewhat meatier than I imagined, how things have changed since I was in school :)

Hi Nev yes has moved on a bit

he has taken part of the project to show how to save energy and make the electric bill smaller we had it working on a DC motor but the drain on the battery was to much to keep it all going so on to the AC motor 250w

what we have done is to build a high amped out put to charge a battery bank by only using a small amount of electric from the 1/4HP Motor for day and night use to battery bank then on to a 3kw pure-sine wave inverter will never run at full power but there if needed it's running all the lights in the house LED 5w fridge freezer and large freezer at night solar PV takes care of the day

the project he is doing is around what we are doing at home to save on the electric bill

with the use of solar Panels & Gride tie inverter and battery bank for night use

just need to get the pulley wheel to marry up with the motor shaft looks like a lot of phoning around Thursday :roll:
or if someone can steer us where to get one made

JB :)

Any small engineering company should be able to provide a bit of 17mm mild steel bar drilled out to 11mm. Or if they don't have any, can drill thicker stock and turn it down to 17mm. Shouldn't cost much.

Bob

I am near Croydon and may be able to help. I'll send a PM this evening. How long does the adaptor need to be?

rxh":38gqy9z2 said:
I am near Croydon and may be able to help. I'll send a PM this evening. How long does the adaptor need to be?
Hi rxh
about 50mm long

I will make this for you so let me get this right, you want an adaptor with 17mm OD with a 11mm ID hole and it to be 50mm in length is that correct.

Let me know if you still need this making?

Try this place, give them a shout and they might be able to suggest an off the shelf solution, (£2.75 or similar I think?)
http://shop.marksman-ind.com/1108-taper-lock-bush---metric-shafts-3140-p.asp

If you don't mind a toothed belt solution, I used these people to make some pulleys for me for some servo / steppers. Very happy with them, most helpful and quick too. This link is to their multi V pulleys, £6.75!
http://www.beltingonline.com/80mm-3-groove-spz-v-pulley-1210-t-l-spz80-9482

If they (belting online) can't help, try a google of Taperlock bearing.
:)

flh801978":2rwxp71p said:
Slightly off topic but how are you going to spin a 3000 watt generator with a 187.5 watt motor?

or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick

Ian

Hi Ian

what we have is a large battery bank to run 3kw inverter pure sine wave at night

we use solar Panel during the day but the charger to re charge the battery's is around 1.5kw then steps down when battery's are charged and move to float

the motor is going to power a high output 12v alternator 215amps regulated this will help keep the battery's topped up well

so the idea is at night we can run small items fine from battery bank the motor low wattage will run the alternator if we need to say run a washing machine / dishwasher / pre heater 2k for are hot water into are combi boiler when we get round to doing it

are electric bill has dropped loads already just getting it more sorted for the winter so my son is doing a project at school re saving energy and how to get more Eco at home gets him off the X Box for a while lol

How do you want to transmit the turning effort between shaft and pulley? Does the pulley have a screw that could be tightened through a hole in the wall of the adaptor and engage in the keyway of the shaft?

"""the motor is going to power a high output 12v alternator 215amps regulated this will help keep the battery's topped up well

so the idea is at night we can run small items fine from battery bank the motor low wattage will run the alternator if we need to say run a washing machine / dishwasher / pre heater 2k for are hot water into are combi boiler when we get round to doing it """"

Sorry I'm still confused

Where/how are you powering the 1/4 hp motor from ? that you want the pulley to fit
The national grid? or from your batterys?
Whats the advantage of powering the motor from the grid? over just using a battery charger to top up the batterys.
as i said earlier how are you going to get your motor to spin a generator 16 times bigger than the motors power?

Ian

flh801978":3u48sbf1 said:
Slightly off topic but how are you going to spin a 3000 watt generator with a 187.5 watt motor?

or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick

Ian

You beat me to it :)

Latest posts

Back