Help needed on Band saw setup - Record Power Sabre 350

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha. A few grand converting my garage to be a nice room, then band saw, table saw, mft system, dust extraction, planer/thicknesser, domino, track saw, etc Then wood! Then theres the hand tools…..

I was all the gear no idea, now all the gear a tiny idea 🤣🤣🤣

If yer still having trouble, then the scribing beam would tell all.
SAM_7270.JPG

SAM_7975-04.jpeg

The wheels need to be within tolerance for the beam not to pick up an error
SAM_7787.JPG

You'll know what that tolerance is, by rotating the wheel and seeing if the pen lands on the same spot/line.
0.5 mm on my 24" wheels translated to a 4mmish error, what only looks like the tracking was adjusted.
A suitable width blade needs to be installed whilst using the beam, (for the upper wheel not to tip) and tracked as such as not to scuff the timber.
SAM_7208.JPG

Once that is checked/fettled ,then you should be able have a consistent datum line of the upper wheel.
I'm leaving out that "other" line, as most saws aren't adjustable in that regards,
so you better cross yer fingers and have a looooooose drive belt (motor bearings only take but a second to get destroyed)
SAM_7975-03.jpeg

Acutally co-planar now, and not possibly 4mm out
SAM_7863.JPG

Using the same piece of timber what fits in the chassis for aligning the adjustable lower wheel to suit the upper non adjustable one.
Don't pinch the shaft if moving the lower wheel, so a bolt loosened in both axis to do so,
loose blade and tighten again etc.
1698889701130.png

I left out filing the face of the wheels to do this alignment, as I've left out the motor stuff,
since you don't have a Centauro.
Doesn't mean you couldn't Centaurolize your machine, should you deem the saw really worth doing so.

Unpleasant reading perhaps, and not intended as a challenge or suggestion...
but that's how you'll get to know your machine,
or why it might be misbehaving, should the tires be reliable.

Tom

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get this to be calibrated, but every time I cut a piece of wood, it veers off to begin with. This is my first band saw, so I presume it is me, but I am getting very frustrated.

I have watched a million YouTube videos, but am now just blind to it.

Is there anyone willing to come and help me set it up. I am 15 mins out of Bath in Radstock, Somerset.

More than happy to pay for someones time.

Thanks
BigDean.
I've just signed up for the 1 hour Record Power bandsaw workshop with Yandles in November. Here's the link. I dare say they can answer your issues. Record Power Focus Weekend: Bandsaws - Yandles

I've just signed up for the 1 hour Record Power bandsaw workshop with Yandles in November. Here's the link. I dare say they can answer your issues. Record Power Focus Weekend: Bandsaws - Yandles
Thanks for that. I did that one, which convinced me to buy the machine, but to be honest, with 12 people in a room for 1 hour, it was more of an overview than any in depth calibration.

If yer still having trouble, then the scribing beam would tell all.
View attachment 169038
View attachment 169039

The wheels need to be within tolerance for the beam not to pick up an error
View attachment 169040
You'll know what that tolerance is, by rotating the wheel and seeing if the pen lands on the same spot/line.
0.5 mm on my 24" wheels translated to a 4mmish error, what only looks like the tracking was adjusted.
A suitable width blade needs to be installed whilst using the beam, (for the upper wheel not to tip) and tracked as such as not to scuff the timber.
View attachment 169041

Once that is checked/fettled ,then you should be able have a consistent datum line of the upper wheel.
I'm leaving out that "other" line, as most saws aren't adjustable in that regards,
so you better cross yer fingers and have a looooooose drive belt (motor bearings only take but a second to get destroyed)View attachment 169042

Acutally co-planar now, and not possibly 4mm out
View attachment 169043

Using the same piece of timber what fits in the chassis for aligning the adjustable lower wheel to suit the upper non adjustable one.
Don't pinch the shaft if moving the lower wheel, so a bolt loosened in both axis to do so,
loose blade and tighten again etc.
View attachment 169044
I left out filing the face of the wheels to do this alignment, as I've left out the motor stuff,
since you don't have a Centauro.
Doesn't mean you couldn't Centaurolize your machine, should you deem the saw really worth doing so.

Unpleasant reading perhaps, and not intended as a challenge or suggestion...
but that's how you'll get to know your machine,
or why it might be misbehaving, should the tires be reliable.

Tom
Thanks Tom, really appreciate your comprehensive reply. Looks like I have even more to learn!

So... Installed the new 1/2" x 3/4 Premium Vari-Tooth that I was saving until I had it all setup and guess what, it is much much better.

Will spend some time fettling now, but think that is going to sort the problem.

They should just supply without a blade if they are that bad!

Thanks all
BigDean
I bought a Record B250 a while back and it set up OK with the bladee supplied. My first project was a bandsaw box and it turned out good. The blade is still going and can cut thin (1/8") and accurate pieces for miniature crafting.

Thanks Tom, really appreciate your comprehensive reply. Looks like I have even more to learn!
No bother, but worth noting it's not comprehensive without the motor,
and could well damage it without consideration,
Bearing or similar to clear a protruding shaft.
I made a plate for my motor, as motor castings are made from some kind of alloy which
might not like being shimmed!

SAM_7840.JPG

Screenshot from SAM_7251.MP4.png

SAM_7961-04.jpeg

It's certainly not the suggested method either, but rather intended as a no compromise guarantee kinda thing, which would highlight whats at fault.

Tramming the wheel, ( with masking tape to protect paint job)
would likely show up either a wheel with discrepancy, or infact the tire which could be checked
also, should it be bonded flush with the face of the wheels, what may be out,
then the apex of the camber would likely be variable.

There is other methods of troubleshooting, ala Rikon guide and Laguna for example
but the tires need be good nick to find that out,
and might get a machine with misalignments running well (discounting longevity)

Worth noting the blade needs to be honestly suited for the machine,
and not the pretend figures in which the manufacturers might suggest.
You know that's baloni if they don't state the type and gauge thickness of the speculated width,so generally go the next size down, unless the machine spec is wildly optimistic.
This is for ball park adequate tension, and the "white finger test" deflecting the blade to check.
Presumably nothing new to someone who's been troubleshooting without result.

All the best
Tom

Latest posts

Back