Help needed on Band saw setup - Record Power Sabre 350

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDean

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get this to be calibrated, but every time I cut a piece of wood, it veers off to begin with. This is my first band saw, so I presume it is me, but I am getting very frustrated.

I have watched a million YouTube videos, but am now just blind to it.

Is there anyone willing to come and help me set it up. I am 15 mins out of Bath in Radstock, Somerset.

More than happy to pay for someones time.

Thanks
BigDean.

It's a pity that Axminster no longer runs the on-site courses (stopped when the pandemic hit) - I spent 3 excellent days in January 2020 : 2 on routing and 1 on bandsaw work, especially setting up and safety.

It's a pity that Axminster no longer runs the on-site courses (stopped when the pandemic hit) - I spent 3 excellent days in January 2020 : 2 on routing and 1 on bandsaw work, especially setting up and safety.
Yandles (where I bought it from) do a half day course, but the dates they have in November clash with a prior engagement.

Thanks

Yandles (where I bought it from) do a half day course, but the dates they have in November clash with a prior engagement.

Thanks
Can’t Yandles send someone out to you to have a Quick Look it’s only half an hour each way to you and even if they charge you for their time it might sort out your issue.

The problem when you spend multiple hours / days setting up something you have little or no experience in is you get mind swamped and you have no idea if you are making it better or worse . I have the bs 350 s and found it frustrating to say the least , it’s close atm but not perfect , so when going around in circles stop and walk away . You will end up beating yourself up and getting nowhere . Good call to ask for help and even better if any nearby member can drop by and give you a hand . While you wait though are there any decent machine suppliers near you that you could visit and get advice help . I bet you have missed something so simple it’s staring at you but you are blind to it due to frustration . It’s also not impossible that you could have a faulty component or machine . I’m a novice with b/ saws too so feel your pain ..good luck

The problem when you spend multiple hours / days setting up something you have little or no experience in is you get mind swamped and you have no idea if you are making it better or worse . I have the bs 350 s and found it frustrating to say the least , it’s close atm but not perfect , so when going around in circles stop and walk away . You will end up beating yourself up and getting nowhere . Good call to ask for help and even better if any nearby member can drop by and give you a hand . While you wait though are there any decent machine suppliers near you that you could visit and get advice help . I bet you have missed something so simple it’s staring at you but you are blind to it due to frustration . It’s also not impossible that you could have a faulty component or machine . I’m a novice with b/ saws too so feel your pain ..good luck
Nice to know I am not going round the bend🤣

First thing to do I would suggest is to order a couple of new blades as ones supplied with new equipment are often poor and can be a cause of problems.

I've been very happy using Ian at Tuffsaws for years, tell him the model bandsaw and the type and size of material you expect to be cutting and he will advise on the best blade configurations. This is important as trying to cut thick hardwood with a narrow and/or higher tooth count blade, for example, can cause problems such as you describe, as can cheap poor quality blades with less than sharp teeth, uneven set etc.

Once you have those basics sorted/eliminated it's easier to move on to other possible adjustments or issues.

First thing to do I would suggest is to order a couple of new blades as ones supplied with new equipment are often poor and can be a cause of problems.

I've been very happy using Ian at Tuffsaws for years, tell him the model bandsaw and the type and size of material you expect to be cutting and he will advise on the best blade configurations. This is important as trying to cut thick hardwood with a narrow and/or higher tooth count blade, for example, can cause problems such as you describe, as can cheap poor quality blades with less than sharp teeth, uneven set etc.

Once you have those basics sorted/eliminated it's easier to move on to other possible adjustments or issues.
Thanks for that. Ironically I have already got some blades from Tuffsaws. I was doing it the other way round. Setting up the machine before putting on the new blades.

Just about to go out and do some photos/videos as suggested. Will then swap out the blade and see if it changes anything.

Thanks again.

u beat me to it....
dont mess around with anything anymore ,, just buy a couple of new blades from TuffSaw then tell how it goes.........
100% original blade are garbage..... and never by factory replacements.....

Two tips from me would be,
- Don't cut any curves with your new blades until you've got the machine set up, and ideally reserve a blade for any straight cuts that you want.
- Set up the machine with an appropriate piece of wood. For example if you have a 10tpi blade don't try and set up with a 3" thick piece of timber, or if you have a 3tpi blade a 1/2" piece.

So... Installed the new 1/2" x 3/4 Premium Vari-Tooth that I was saving until I had it all setup and guess what, it is much much better.

Will spend some time fettling now, but think that is going to sort the problem.

They should just supply without a blade if they are that bad!

Thanks all
BigDean

If you did a search on the forum you will soon find post that discuss the issues, I had the same problems with my BS400 and simply threw away the supplied blades and fitted decent ones from Tuffsaws. Also watch the snodgrass videos which should help. I thought the same, no blades or decent blades but not the shiete that is supplied.

If you did a search on the forum you will soon find post that discuss the issues, I had the same problems with my BS400 and simply threw away the supplied blades and fitted decent ones from Tuffsaws. Also watch the snodgrass videos which should help. I thought the same, no blades or decent blades but not the shiete that is supplied.
Not being awkward @Spectric but I did do a search, but did not find anything that looked immediately relevant. I appreciate it is annoying to more experienced forum members when people don't bother looking first, but please bear in mind, sometimes those of us with little experience don't have a clue what we are looking for, so the search results don't always give a steer.

I have spent a year so far spending a 5 figure sum to try and to learn how to make a piece of wood perfectly straight and level!

By "snodgrass videos", do you mean Alex Snodgrass of Bandsaw Life on YouTube?

Thanks for your reply. (y)

Pity the cheap and cheerful bandsaws can't be guaranteed to run without issue,
like the saw I had previously, which the experts couldn't fix! :p

Bit of a lotto if yer not getting a machine with an adjustable motor.

This! The RP blade that comes with the saw is poo at best. I thought I’d bought a faulty saw when I got mine, but changed totally with a tuff saws.

I appreciate it is annoying to more experienced forum members when people don't bother looking first
I was just pointing out that there is a lot of good info to be found, more than happy to help other members and lifes to short to get annoyed.

Yes good old Alex Snodgrass, I followed his setup method and all has been ok since.

Some post that might be of interest

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/bandsaw-blade-handy-reference.137958/#post-1594053
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...aware-of-when-purchasing.144114/#post-1681380
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...odifications-part-4-rip-fence-upgrade.104848/

I was just pointing out that there is a lot of good info to be found, more than happy to help other members and lifes to short to get annoyed.

Yes good old Alex Snodgrass, I followed his setup method and all has been ok since.

Some post that might be of interest

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/bandsaw-blade-handy-reference.137958/#post-1594053
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...aware-of-when-purchasing.144114/#post-1681380
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...odifications-part-4-rip-fence-upgrade.104848/
Excellent, thank you.

Back