hello all mortice machine clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

del

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all

got myself a mortice machine but its not got a clamp for holding the wood down do you know if you can buy the attachment on its own or have you any ideas for making one

cheers del

Ive got a hold down originally off a TS200 tablesaw that you can have (assuming i can find it iagain n our junk box - I saw it a couple of days ago) - it ought to be fairly easy to adapt

that said I usually take the hold down off my morticers as they are a pain in the pineapplle

If itys perform it will be yellow - and basically the same as the axminster machines so you could probably get a spare part from them

if its "performance power" it will be grey and frankly iprobably a pile of shiite and needs putting in a skip at the first oportunity

that would be great moose its perform and yes the colour is yellow you take the hold down off do your chisles not get stuck in the wood i was using it today and it was gripping the wood everytime that was a pain

mine is the 19 model so it has a clamp on the front as well as the hold down - if yours is essentially a AWM12 then yes you do need summat to hold it down - but i find the hold down to be a pain in the pineapple as you have to release it every time you want to move the wood along.

When we had one at work (until we got our sedgewick wired up) we used to just hold the wood down manually when extracting the chisel - we also found that giving the chisel a rub with a candle made it much less likely to stick.

If you want my TS200 hold down pm me you address and i'll post it to you - wont be til friday at the earliest tho.

If you find the hold-down grips too much, you could try putting a piece of paper in between the timber and the clamp as you set it. That might leave enough of a tolerance. After all, it's only there to stop the chisel from lifting the wood up with it. :)

Another thing that might help is to lubricate the outside of the chisel, using either a dry lubricant (like PTFE spray) or a stick of wax (candle, beeswax, etc.). Don't use anything 'wet' or else it could stain your timber.

Hi Del,

If i`m right these are the bits you need.

001-4.jpg

The cog at the front of the picture is a brand new spare, as they are prone to breaking under load DAMHIKT.

All that`s left of my perform is the grey re-painted piece on the right, which will soon be part of a linisher, so the cog & hold down are surplus to requirements & are yours for the price of postage, should you want them.

Doug.

Or if you fancy making a clamp, i`ve just made this for a broken charnwood, the very kind Jonny D let me have.

003-2.jpg

It`s just made from MDF, a screw & threaded block cut from an old machine, the screw is tapped both ends so i could fix a bearing one end & a bristol lever the other.

Cheers.

Doug.

Latest posts

Back