Heatwave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different world back then and we were allowed to have a childhood and wander free as all the weirdo's and sicko's we did not even know existed were locked up out of the way. The things we did were by todays standards life threatening and the places we played did not have padded soft floors but just hard tarmac or concrete and hence always having grazed knees but our bones rarely broke because we ate real food and did not consume pints of carbonised drinks that leech calcium out of your bones.
Calcium int bones? Yer were lucky to av bones. Wen ar worra lad we slithered abaht ont tarmac like slugs - wen we ad tarmac that is....

Different world back then and we were allowed to have a childhood and wander free as all the weirdo's and sicko's we did not even know existed were locked up out of the way. The things we did were by todays standards life threatening and the places we played did not have padded soft floors but just hard tarmac or concrete and hence always having grazed knees but our bones rarely broke because we ate real food and did not consume pints of carbonised drinks that leech calcium out of your bones.
From what I've read, that's pineapples. There are no more weirdos, sickos or apostrophes around now than there were back then.
What is happening to this forum? Is it the long term result of sawdust inhalation or something? Maybe we should have a whip round for some PPE?

From what I've read, that's pineapples. There are no more weirdos, sickos or apostrophes around now than there were back then.
What is happening to this forum? Is it the long term result of sawdust inhalation or something? Maybe we should have a whip round for some PPE?
Biggest problem for kids today is cars. We could play in the middle of the street or walk 2 miles to school etc. We could clear off all day without parents even knowing where we were etc etc. Not joking!

Correct but now they are not restrained, hence why we have to try and monitor their whereabouts and keep one eye on our kids, we used to go anywhere and I was never approached by any oddball.

We could clear off all day without parents even knowing where we were etc etc. Not joking!
Yes that was the way it was, our parents knew we were safe and did not have to worry that some psycho was on the lose, today parents just cannot take the chance and you hear of so many incidents.

ah yes, I remember the mid-late 90s when privacy was still real, nobody knew where I was quite often, people seemed much happier then than they are now.

Correct but now they are not restrained, hence why we have to try and monitor their whereabouts and keep one eye on our kids, we used to go anywhere and I was never approached by any oddball.

Yes that was the way it was, our parents knew we were safe and did not have to worry that some psycho was on the lose, today parents just cannot take the chance and you hear of so many incidents.
I was approached by a pervert, on more than one occasion. So were friends of mine.

So you were all perverts? Sorry, couldn't resist.:LOL: No offence meant.

We were warned when young whom not to be alone with - one was a church verger who was a promiscuous, predatory homosexual (homosexuality only just made legal) - one of my friends (at 15) decked him. The church (high Anglican) knew all about him but did nothing. A chap up the road had children whose mothers were his wife and his oldest daughter alternately. The main reason for the demolition of the local men's bogs was that they couldn't (or didn't want to attempt) to control what went on in them. Of course there's nothing new now, it just tends to be reported.

Basically, what Phil said.

Nothing new; just reported more now. You only have to look at the sheer number of historic abuse scandals (care homes, schools, political and entertainment figures, churches etc) that have only come to light years later.

Maybe they just didn't fancy you! :LOL:
Total nonsense. The biggest outdoor danger to kids nowadays is road traffic. Made worse by the fact that parents take them to school in enormous SUVs where earlier generations would have walked or cycled.
Psychos and weirdos being loose on the streets is mainly a figment of the right wing press.

Maybe they just didn't fancy you! :LOL:

Total nonsense. The biggest outdoor danger to kids nowadays is road traffic. Made worse by the fact that parents take them to school in enormous SUVs where earlier generations would have walked or cycled.
Psychos and weirdos being loose on the streets is mainly a figment of the right wing press.
I beg to differ, the biggest danger to kids nowadays is bloody mobile phones, I've lost count how many stupid kids have walked out in front of me while looking down at their phones instead of checking traffic before crossing the road, there's no crossing provided because its on the exit of a roundabout on the main Duel carriageway.

Righto, emergency over. Everyone put away their sunscreen and remember to pack an umbrella instead.
But get used to the hotter summers happening more frequently. 1976 was less hot, lasted longer, caused more disruption with low water supplies and rationing in some parts of the country. Imagine this last week lasting 3 months instead of 3 days.

Big business.
Profit.
Political inertia.
If the US cannot legislate against their kids being slaughtered on a regular basis, how on earth will they legislate against CC?
The same goes for just about every country on the planet for various reasons….
As others have mentioned, it’s ‘Human Nature’……

There are probably as many scientists who disagree about the whole climate situation, you do not hear too much from these folk as their opinion does not agree with the msm agenda. To get a little nearer a balanced account first check out where these scientists get their funding from, turkeys do not vote for christmas. A lot of very serious businesses are making a fortune from this current agenda. I personally agree there is climate change, there always has been and always will be, we are not really able to make a difference, but we can make huge differences in the areas mentioned previously, why do we choose not to?

There are probably as many scientists who disagree about the whole climate situation, you do not hear too much from these folk as their opinion does not agree with the msm agenda.
We hear from them all the time and the main stream media seeks them out and front pages them. But there aren't very many of them. Scientific consensus on climate change - Wikipedia.
To get a little nearer a balanced account first check out where these scientists get their funding from, turkeys do not vote for christmas. A lot of very serious businesses are making a fortune from this current agenda.
Nonsense. A lot of serious businesses are opposing climate change agendas because they will lose money. Nobody has an interest in making it up.
I personally agree there is climate change, there always has been and always will be,
Not true.There also have been long steady periods and we are just at the end of one - the 11000 year long "holocene"
we are not really able to make a difference, but we can make huge differences in the areas mentioned previously, why do we choose not to?
Because of CC sceptics and deniers, such as yourself.

Last edited:
I love all these deep and meaningful discussions about woodwork. Can we all agree to disagree please and get back to making sawdust and pretty wooden objects! 🙃
Feel free! Personally, I'm not supposed to carry anything heavier than a cup of coffee for twelve weeks, which rules out most woodworking activity.

Back