Heating oil tank

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to replace a heating oil tank. The system was decommissioned a few years ago but everything left in place.

The existing tank is steel and looks like it is weeping at the bottom so needs replacing the problem being it is up against the outside of an attached garage on 2 concrete block pillars but I've been told the replacement has to be a min of 1.8 meters away from building. Any advice on this

I don't know the full ins and outs but my understanding is that if you install a new tank it needs to meet the current OFTEC regs. This includes distance from the house and the hard standing it sits on. You will also need a bunded tank if a spill could risk contaminating a water source.
I need to replace my 3000 ltr metal tank at some point which will require it to be relocated. A couple of things I have noticed knowing a few people with tanks. 1) Large second hand tanks fetch very little compared to a new one. 2) If you have a small tank (<1000 ltrs) consider getting a bigger one as deliveries usually a minimum of 500 ltrs and you have to sometimes run low before you have space for a refill.

There are lots of rules and regs about distances from eaves of buildings, windows, flammable materials etc but you can build a fire protection barrier of some type, also tank may need to be bunded. Fitting a new tank comes under building regs, I would get an OFTEC registered technician to look at it.

It must be me, I was going to give a reply on heating up your oil tank to make the oil flow better!!!

However, one thing to remember is to make it as hard as possible to access the new one - oil prices are rising and theft of oil in country areas has been quite a problem.

Phil

Last time I looked new tanks did not even need to be bunded unless close to a water course, or greater than 2500ltrs.

My real point is don't go by what people say. Just download the relevent buildings control doc and read the details for yourself.

You may also like to gain clarity on if your replacement unit is governed by the same rules as a new install. I won't pretend to know for sure (as I don't) but I suspect your requirements may well be different from those of a fresh install.

There are many many legacy installs on existing properties where it would simply be impossible to replace an existing tank adhering to the minimum distances required for a new install, and, logically, I cant see that means that, should the tank need replacing, the property owner needs to then change fuel source!

Again though, many many people will claim to know. The BC documents are freely downloadable, and are, basically, the law on this stuff, regardless of what anyone else may want to tell you.

Doug71":m6ipfm7a said:
There are lots of rules and regs about distances from eaves of buildings, windows, flammable materials etc but you can build a fire protection barrier of some type, also tank may need to be bunded. Fitting a new tank comes under building regs, I would get an OFTEC registered technician to look at it.

There are, but it depends where you live as to wether anyone does anything about it. Round here it would actually be impossible to meet the regs because gardens are so small. Mains gas is only available to some houses and oil was the only other solution. My oil tank is just outside my back door, up against the neighbours house wall, their tank is <3m away butted up against the fence.

Incidentally, there's a roaring trade in 2nd hand metal ones so people can avoid the regs and claim the tank is original. I'd be interested to know how many explosions, deaths etc were caused by tanks not being in the correct place according to regs. Somehow I doubt the number would be many, if any.

You can buy fire resistant tanks that give you the required 30 mins protection so they can be sited closer to buildings etc, installing a new oil tank is one of the times I think Building regs should be followed, accidents can happen.

I had my tank replaced when I moved into my new bungalow. Here is the relevant info :

https://www.oftec.org.uk/consumers/dome ... nd-storage

In my particular case, I had no option than to butt my oil tank up againt a fence (unless I wanted it in the middle of my 20x20ft garden). So to comply with the regulations, it's separated by the minimum distance, and I have put up fire barriers. I'd also go with bunded whether you need it or not.

My recommendation is to get a few quotes and make sure they're all recommending the same thing. I had some fairly dodgy advice from one quote which didn't agree with the info above.

The whole job for me came to £1600

- New 1000ltr bunded tank and relevant pipework
- fireboarding
- transfer of oil
- disposal of old tank

ScaredyCat":1a2lcaqt said:
I'd be interested to know how many explosions, deaths etc were caused by tanks not being in the correct place according to regs. Somehow I doubt the number would be many, if any.

I have absolutely no issues with the regs governing oil tanks but am also more than sceptical regarding fire and explosion risk. Ground contamination however is a different matter.

My 2000 litre metal oil tank is situated INSIDE my attached double garage and next to the boiler which is installed in a protective blockwork wall. It's also on the house side of the garage!
To replace it would be hugely expensive due to the location and pipework / excavations required for a new bunded tank so as it's still in good condition I'm hoping it will outlive me or at least until after we downsize property.

I bought this house 30 years ago after it had a sizeable fire which started in the garage, ( nothing to do with the boiler or oil tank :) ). The fire destroyed the roof , contents and the boiler but also burned the thick timbers cushioning the tank from the brickwork support walls and destroyed the plastic sight level tube which ran from the lower tap to top of tank. The tank was 1/3rd full at the time and the oil wasn't affected.

I took some expert advice, had the tank inspected and was reliably informed that domestic heating oil, 28 sec kerosene in my case is pretty safe until it's atomised under pressure as it is in the boiler through the jet.
Of course it burns but it ain't petrol! :roll:

Thankyou for all the replys I contacted BC and the area it is situated I don't need bunded tank and i can replace old tank where it is up tight to attached garage as long as the facia on the roof is replaced with non combustible material. As the gutter needs replaced this wont be a problem.

The reason the oil was decommissioned a few years ago was it was feeding an aga which was rarely used as a cooker so was a very expensive way of running radiators. The boiler that is replacing the aga is a lot more efficient and less mess than the multi fuel fire that is presently heating the property.

Back