Has the forum been hacked ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do so many forums go down the "it aint broke, so we better fix it " route

Sorry but I dont like the "improvements"

Been away for a day or three, came back and, OMG. Fewer lines on each page therefore a lot more scrolling needed (iPad user). Not my cup of tea but it’s not my train set either, I have to take whatever you give me.

Too many pop ups and now less accessible, as I have to scroll to the top to select a category.
How much percentage wise, of a gain is there, to have this new format in place?

To the computer folks
Is there a way to stretch the screen so I dont have to look at these pop ups?
(i know I can disable them, but that takes away the point, if the site needs funds)

I dont think this is a wise move

Does the search function exist, not talkin about the google search bar but the real search function?

Obviously, there's less of a chance of getting a float function like with sawmill creek since the owner wants
revenue from every click and this would be counter productive

There must be a better way of doing things.
I have been turning on and off adblocker like a woman changing outfits for a big nite.
Addblock engaged till I find out if you can hide these pop ups on a windows 10.
Tom

On a mobile phone this new forum looks fantastic and works well with new sub-forum and menu icons, but on my laptop PC which is what I most commonly use to access this site, it is fairly horrible with drunken letters instead of icons and enormous margins of wasted space with a narrow content view in the centre.

So very much a case of mixed feelings from me for now.

A dreadful upgrade that wastes far too much screen space on a normal computer display.
So many issues it's difficult to know where to begin.

If we're stuck with this layout [and I'm not bothered by any of the adverts] is there any chance of a little more user info in the top left of each post, I like to know where the poster is from and possibly how long they've been a member, it adds context to what they've posted.
Having to search for that info every time would mean that it won't happen, seems like a definitive case of dumbing down.

I don't like it and I don't understand how to include photos with a post.

monkeybiter":1703mu4e said:
If we're stuck with this layout [and I'm not bothered by any of the adverts] is there any chance of a little more user info in the top left of each post, I like to know where the poster is from and possibly how long they've been a member, it adds context to what they've posted.
Having to search for that info every time would mean that it won't happen, seems like a definitive case of dumbing down.
Click the member Icon or member Name.
pro.jpg

Attachments

• pro.jpg
    pro.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 485
CHJ":2iare4li said:
monkeybiter":2iare4li said:
Clik the member Icon or ember Name.
Thanks Chas.

Thanks - I hadn't scrolled down far enough to see the "Upload Attachment" feature. I still don't like it though .....

Wow who's idea was this layout?

Talk about wasted space - you could fit an entire post in the spaces between posts - now it's endless scrolling between them, maybe on some peoples phones with mahoosive screens you can fit two posts but not on mine - I have to scroll to read every. single. one. Even sideways.

And what's with the "auto hide posts with too many dislikes" - who made that particular call? So you don't like a post, that's your opinion, does that give you and aother dissenters the right to censor what's been said? - Seems the answer to that is now "YES!". Thought I was living in a free society, but nope... too many of those and your post gets automatically hidden, regardless of whether that post has something valid to say.

I can see certain posters having quite a lot of thier posts treated this way - I could well be one of them, because I speak my mind regardless.

For anyone who doesn't like the now extremely intrusive adverts (down the whole right side) one word. ADBLOCK. it's free, it works. Use it.

Maybe those in control should have considered asking for "membership dues" like other sites I frequent, you pay a one off fee and no ads. EVER. Or have a small trickle payment system £1 a month from everyone should cover everything. Even if you PAID the moderators a fee.

Brandlin - I've never noticied your name before as a moderator, but the first post I read of yours was being patronising while accusing RogerS of being patronising, way to go on the first impressions mate.

Maybe so many of us are going down the "I don't like it route" is because we don't like it? It's not the change - is HOW the changes have been implemented, there IS a difference.

You might love it - you might even have been involved with it, who knows, but our opinions are valid nonetheless.....

Even if the new system will auto hide them so you don't get "offended" by being forced to read them.....

I also agree with what Monkeybiter says about the posters info - now we have to click thier avatar just to see the info that was plain to see before - it's only a small thing, but now if we want to reply to a "call for help" post, we have to look to see if they are in our locale before answering - you might think it's a small thing - but it happens on here often enough that having that info clearly visible does help.

My bottom line though is this - if certain posters decide they are not comfortable with this layout and leave - those posters who I think are the most invaluable to this site, then I'm off.

No big loss for you ofc, I'm a nobody; but if some of the big fish around here leave, then that IS a problem.

PS, how's that wall of text looking? Wait until a meaty WIP comes by.....

phil.p":11hyhnm2 said:
flying haggis":11hyhnm2 said:
Why do so many forums go down the "it aint broke, so we better fix it " route

Sorry but I dont like the "improvements"

Schlimmbesserung. :D
I just learned a new word - ty :)

rafezetter":1csz1s5t said:
Brandlin - I've never noticied your name before as a moderator, but the first post I read of yours was being patronising while accusing RogerS of being patronising, way to go on the first impressions mate.

Maybe so many of us are going down the "I don't like it route" is because we don't like it? It's not the change - is HOW the changes have been implemented, there IS a difference.

You might love it - you might even have been involved with it, who knows, but our opinions are valid nonetheless.....

Hello rafezetter, I'm Brandlin... or Alan, nice to meet you. I dont think i am your 'mate', but happy to become one. No, I'm not a mod and not involved with the changes in any way.

And yes, I was patronising. Deliberately so. In response to a clearly pejorative and patronising post I simply replied in the same tone to make a very clear point.

Everyone has their own opinions and is entitled to express them. I have zero problem with that from anyone. However there is a difference between 'freedom of speech and expressing your opinion' and 'freedom from the consequences of your opinion.' If you want something to change or you want to engage someone and convince them to your point of view I don't think insulting and belittling them helps.

I'm pretty sure that the administrators and mods here have spent A LOT of time making changes to the forum... I believe Charley outlined some of the reasons for them in another post. I think that warrants a little more respect and support than the 'fly off the handle', 'marginally insulting', 'the end of the world is coming' responses some of the users here have had. Yours included. Now its true i am sure they can fight their own battles and are relatively thick skinned - i know whats its like moderating elsewhere. So i will apologise to the admins if my comments have caused any problems for THEM.

I've replied to maybe a dozen posts today where people have complained about a feature that is missing. Not asked where to find it mind, just ASSUMED it has gone and complained. A couple of minutes looking around the new layout i found that feature and responded helpfully.

Everyone will have a different view on what needs to be changed and how. But the admins need to do something. That doesn't give anyone the right to simply be rude.

Your own tone for example is not inquisitive about the changes, it is simply a condemnation. In terms of feedback to the mods I think I could summarise your comments as:

1. I find that there is an lot of white space between my posts - is this intentional or might there be something in my browser? If intentional then I find it almost unreadable.
2. There seems to be a feature that autofilters out heavily disliked posts. I dont think this is a good idea. could it be reviewed please?
3. I think the advert are too intrusive and take up too much space on my screen.
4. It would be more helpful if the posters info were on the main post not in a drop down menu.

Now I can't speak for the mods but i'm pretty sure that's a nicer read and feedback on their work than a belligerent 'toys out of the pram' rant you have indulged yourself in. You decide for yourself which approach is likely to get a helpful response. Personally I dont think its a post that starts with the openly sarcastic attack "Wow, who's idea was this layout?"

I suspect that what is happening at the moment is the complexity of a modern website requiring different layouts, spacings, templates and style sheets to cover every possible screen size, device type and browser is causing SOME people to have a different experience to others, and that a lot of this will be teething problems that will get resolved relatively quickly.

Now if you are prepared to be civil, i'm happy to continue the conversation. If not you might like the FOE option in the new My Account section where you can add me.

Apologies to the admin And to reiterate my thanks for their efforts in making these changes. If I can help, let me know.

Apologies also to everyone else for the length of this reply.

Back