has anybody seen this new shoulder plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously, tools like this are not simply for using in the average sense - I think that we take for granted that they will work exceptionally well. In the main the pleasure comes from holding it and looking at it, and the joy of a making a shaving with a special tool.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Do you know, that the best and most accurate answer I've seen I think. So it could be that a similar sensation comes from using the tools from your father or grandfather. Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to measure that unique pleasure. Sounds like a question for a galoot board to me.

Adam

Derek wrote: "In the main the pleasure comes from holding it and looking at it"

Thats what I keep telling SWMBO :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :oops: :oops:

Derek of Oz wrote:
In the main the pleasure comes from holding it and looking at it, and the joy of a making a shaving with a special tool.
Does this same line of thought apply to Philly's JK plane recently posted? Some have said that Philly's plane would appear to be nothing more than a quickly made, roughly finished article, which at first glance it appears to be. From reading Philly's post and his blog this is clearly not the case and I would put it into the same category, or even an elevated, far superior category (if such a thing exists) than this shoulder plane. The shoulder plane is a 'special tool' with all that is implied by that phrase but for me anyway, so is Philly's JK plane, and then some, rough and ready tho' it appears - Rob

woodbloke":3d69pl82 said:
Does this same line of thought apply to Philly's JK plane recently posted? The shoulder plane is a 'special tool' with all that is implied by that phrase but for me anyway, so is Philly's JK plane, and then some, rough and ready tho' it appears - Rob

well now there's a thought :-k
yes...i think i agree withy you rob =D>
some tools belong in a class all their own. and remember beauty is only skin deep... =P~

sorry i got a little preachy there :roll: it's an occupational hazard [-o<

sparky

Somebody clock me a hefty slap round the lug 'ole, if you would. I seem to be totally immune to these "special" tools at the moment and can only assume I'm asleep and having a nightmare. This does even less for me than the JK one. :?

Worried in the West Country

well...i don't know about rob but i'm new at this and anything that is exceptional quality (ie. JK and bridge city tool works) anything that is rare or hard to come by and that which is very expensive and especially if they are all three then it falls into the special tool category.

i don't know if that makes any sense

sparky

ps. i think the 'special tool category' might be nothing more than the category of things that i will never own...unless someone gives them to me :ho2

Given the quality, performance and price of the current range of LN and LV shoulder planes, I would envisage most serious cabinet makers opting for one of them rather than this new shoulder plane. Collectors and people with money to spare might have a different view.... :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Derek: In the main the pleasure comes from holding it and looking at it, and the joy of a making a shaving with a special tool.

Woodbloke: Does this same line of thought apply to Philly's JK plane recently posted?

In the main, I would imagine for the professional that a tool is just a tool (to misquote Sigmund Freud). But for us hobbiests, we imbue handtools with romance, and carry a fantasy of Yesteryear and the Artist's Hand.

Krenov's planes - in one sense they are quite ugly. In another sense they represent the Master's Hand. They are a direct link to a creative genius. To me they are beautiful - not as a tool, but as a symbol of the meaning of handwood, as viewed by Krenov. For Krenov, a tool is just a tool, a means to an end. Ignore the tool - craftmanship lies instead in the eye and hand. They are the very antithesis of tools by Bridge City.

Yet both are very appealing. While Krenov referred to himself as an amateur - and indeed I think he had the the soul of an amateur - he was a professional in his approach to tools. As an amateur and romantic, I do not have his limitations and can enjoy the luxury of admiring the tool as much as admiring the tool in use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony":1u8opue1 said:
lurker":1u8opue1 said:
Byron wrote:

"589$?? Now that really is more money than sense"

So............. have Philly & Waka placed orders yet?

I think it is worth the money for that kind of quality and attention to detail in the design.

Add Tony to the list of possible purchasers :lol:

And yet you fail to see teh same quality and attention to detail that befits the cost of a festool?

Derek - a very succinct analysis which I agree with. JK's planes and the Bridge City offerings can both be considered as 'special planes' but for very different reasons. I think as you rightly say, that they are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum tho' each has its own appeal but in a different way....wish I could afford one, or maybe both? Chances of that happening...not allot, less than zero in fact :cry: - Rob

Alf,
As long as you are immune to Bridge City tools, you are probably OK. I once tried to buy one (I forget exactly what tool it was but it was a few years ago). I gave up because their website and catalogue/buying arrangements seemed just awful, then to cap it all, they had discontinued wretched thing after all.

waterhead37":170jwh3b said:
I once tried to buy one (I forget exactly what tool it was but it was a few years ago). I gave up because their website and catalogue/buying arrangements seemed just awful, then to cap it all, they had discontinued wretched thing after all.

LOL that happened to me also ....they seem to have a club of some sort...at the time i found their site dreadful for navigating around...havent been for a while so dont know what its like now.

did read on other forums that some of their stuff ( i think it was squares ) werent .....still a fancy looking shoulder plane though.

I

Congrats, Derek!! :D Worth another email.... :wink:
Like your home made plane, Pete!

Now, I notice certain comments about me, Waka and spending silly money on posh tools. I need to set the record straight - Only Waka does this. I am a born-again woody who now tries to stay on the narrow path. Except when it comes to brushes...... :wink: :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Adam":15kba7pb said:
Tony":15kba7pb said:
I think it is worth the money for that kind of quality and attention to detail in the design.

Really? Maybe I use my shoulder plane wrong but nearly everything its ever planed ends up hidden from view. I can see on something like Circular Saw (i.e Festool for example.... :lol: ) where extra money pays for bigger and better bearings, that last longer, precision machining that keeps it seated right and square - but a shoulder plane, once its got a good blade, nicely machined square edges - where, tell me, is "the extra quality"?

I'm afraid I don't see it at all. :oops:

Adam

I believe you Adam :^o

Tony":3j7e1dgb said:
I believe you Adam :^o

Explain? See as I see it, and many on the forum it seems, that if you want a tool that works absolutely out of the box without a hint of fettling or sharpening etc we are lucky enough to have LV and LN planes. Thats a quality item in so much as it works exactly without any further input from the user. I want to be woodworking not "improving" planes. But on this plane with its wonderfully intricate method to get the blade in and out - if it needs sharpening that often they ought to give TLN a ring and get him to send some blades over! :lol: Beutifully made I don't deny, its the "extra" quality bit you mentioned I got confused over. Is it squarer? Does it cut better? Surely its not extra quality, but more expensive due to the limited numbers made, and the complicated mechanism, and the lovely sculpted handle?

Adam

Is it squarer? Does it cut better?

Value for money has rarely been a factor with high end planes. You are paying for rarity. The Law of Diminishing Returns applies.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I did mention that above. I'm can see that if you account for rarity etc that it the price can be justified for some, I'm pulling Tony up on the "extra" quality comment. :lol: I'm only pulling his leg really.

Adam

Back