has anybody seen this new shoulder plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That plane has some interesting features, Sparky - it would be nice to try it out :D However, unless they can do something about the price I doubt that LN or LV will have any real competition - it's very expensive :shock:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Oh yes indeed!!! Been on their website since late last year

I look at it quite often (then put the credit card away as it is still not available for sale) and have a link to it at the manufacturers site on my website (when it's published :roll: )

It's the HP7
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/ok_default.html

Byron wrote:

"589$?? Now that really is more money than sense"

So............. have Philly & Waka placed orders yet?

Never mind that, the workbench book looks most interesting.

Adam

sparky":pydh820e said:
i just saw this on chris schwarz's web blog.

i was wondering if anyone had seen it
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/

a new shoulder plane on the market. this could make the decision as to what shoulder plane i get (i don't have one yet :oops: ) a tough one.

just thought i would share the good news

sparky
If you want one of those it might be as well to go and see your local friendly mortgage advisor :wink: - Rob

woodbloke":3k58pu7m said:
If you want one of those it might be as well to go and see your local friendly mortgage advisor :wink: - Rob

don't you have to have assets first in order to get a morgage? :-s
if so that rules me out real quick [-(
i guess when that wonderful day comes when i do acquire my first shoulder plane it will have to be the LV medium variety :tool:
or maybe the large one :roll: it is so hard to make up your mind about these things. #-o

sparky

sparky":28anxwtz said:
i guess when that wonderful day comes when i do acquire my first shoulder plane it will have to be the LV medium variety :tool:
or maybe the large one :roll: it is so hard to make up your mind about these things. #-o

sparky

Got both, prefer the large :lol: :lol: :lol:

lurker":1mruxx6h said:
Byron wrote:

"589$?? Now that really is more money than sense"

So............. have Philly & Waka placed orders yet?

I think it is worth the money for that kind of quality and attention to detail in the design.

Add Tony to the list of possible purchasers :lol:

Tony":q3lw0b9x said:
I think it is worth the money for that kind of quality and attention to detail in the design.

Really? Maybe I use my shoulder plane wrong but nearly everything its ever planed ends up hidden from view. I can see on something like Circular Saw (i.e Festool for example.... :lol: ) where extra money pays for bigger and better bearings, that last longer, precision machining that keeps it seated right and square - but a shoulder plane, once its got a good blade, nicely machined square edges - where, tell me, is "the extra quality"?

I'm afraid I don't see it at all. :oops:

Adam

Adam":99blt77r said:
Tony":99blt77r said:

Really? Maybe I use my shoulder plane wrong but nearly everything its ever planed ends up hidden from view. ... once its got a good blade, nicely machined square edges - where, tell me, is "the extra quality"?

Not that I've spent a lot of time looking at Bridge City tools, something about their prices makes me feel ripped off, but this one is the best I've seen of the ones various fora forced on me. Truly a wonderful design probably worth the price.

However, shoulder planes in general seem to fit into the "more you know about the topic and the better you are at it, the less tool you need" category. Beginners may benefit greatly, but for experienced woodworkers it seems to be all aesthetics and ergonomics.

Pam

Obviously, tools like this are not simply for using in the average sense - I think that we take for granted that they will work exceptionally well. In the main the pleasure comes from holding it and looking at it, and the joy of a making a shaving with a special tool.

Regards from Perth

Derek

pam niedermayer":35m5uet6 said:
Adam":35m5uet6 said:
Tony":35m5uet6 said:

Really? Maybe I use my shoulder plane wrong but nearly everything its ever planed ends up hidden from view. ... once its got a good blade, nicely machined square edges - where, tell me, is "the extra quality"?

Not that I've spent a lot of time looking at Bridge City tools, something about their prices makes me feel ripped off, but this one is the best I've seen of the ones various fora forced on me. Truly a wonderful design probably worth the price.

However, shoulder planes in general seem to fit into the "more you know about the topic and the better you are at it, the less tool you need" category. Beginners may benefit greatly, but for experienced woodworkers it seems to be all aesthetics and ergonomics.

Pam

Certainly I'm not disagreeing its wonderfully machined, and is even quite unusual in design, but the features - a swinging lever cap. Honestly, how often do you need to pop out the blade? I'd be in the first few digits of one hand the number of times I've had the blade out on my shoulder plane for sharpening. Honestly, do you guys use them for something I don't know about? A few tenons, dados etc. I mean, really its nothing compared to other planes such as jacks/smoothers/jointers etc.

Adam

Back